“Poor location”

Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Poor location”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I knew I was booking an 'out of town' hotel when I chose this Motel 6 for our short stay in Kingston, enroute from Toronto to Ottawa; but this was quite an extreme 'out of town' location.

It is literally in the middle of acres of rubble with no shops, restaurants or anything close by - see photo!!!!

If you need a clean, reasonably-priced hotel for an event in the Kingston area, then this hotel is ideal, but don't book it if you are a tourist!!!!

Also worth noting that Kingston only really has enough to occupy a tourist for a day. We had two days in Kingston and ran out of things to do really.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Motel6Kingston, General Manager at Motel 6 Kingston, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear JenGNotts,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Motel 6 Kingston. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Motel 6, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. It can sometimes seem that we are remote since we are the first building on our street, however within 4.5 kilometers or 10 minutes drive there are two malls with over 100 stores, theatres and restaurants. Our staff has guide books and maps available at the front desk to locate any of the attractions or events taking place while you are in Kingston.

613-507-6666
M6 2012 Customer Service of the year Eastern Canada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This hotel is a great place to stay at,its clean and reasobable priced.The front dest is very friendly and couldn't ask for a better manger we needed anything he was more than helpfull. For the past 4 years I have stayed there cause my son played in the kid for kids tournament, it might not have a pool for kids but Motel 6 staff sure makes the kids feel welcome and when we leave we always say what another great year we had here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Motel6Kingston, General Manager at Motel 6 Kingston, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Marianneandkids,

It has been amazing getting to know you all over the last 4 years. I appreciate all of the praise and support and I can assure you it is a team effort this staff looks forward to seeing you all each and every year! Have a fantastic summer and we will see you all in march.

Thank your for choosing Motel 6 Kingston.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We chose this hotel for the reasonable price, and were pleased with the cleanliness, friendliness, and modern, sensible design. Impressive was the LCD panel TV with HDMI and PC inputs, and each room has a microwave and mini-refrigerator. Pet friendly with no fee, and free wi-fi internet. Convenient location right off the Trans Canada Highway, short drive to many shopping malls, ten minutes from downtown. The warm vinyl floors (as opposed to carpet) enhance the feeling of cleanliness. Our room had a rather loud refrigerator, enough to awaken me a few times as it cycled on and off and we mentioned it in a comments card upon checkout. Morning coffee is served in the lobby, but there is no breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Norman586,

Thank you so much for your kind comments about our hotel and staff. It is fantastic that you filled out our comment card as they often not used and can be a great way to make corrections of issues that might arise and affect the comfort level of our guests.

Thank your for choosing Motel 6 Kingston.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Had an excellent experience at Motel 6 when in Kingston for the Kids4Kids Hockey Tournament. The rooms were clean, the staff friendly and accommodating, and it was just an overall great stay. This had been our 4th year staying at Motel 6 and we WILL be back next year!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Hockey15,

Thank you for your patronage year after year it is always a pleasure to host our extended Kids 4 Kids family. We look forward to seeing you all again next march!

Once again thank your for choosing Motel 6 Keeping the light on since 1962.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel is perfect for what it is...a clean, efficient basic place for a reasonable price. The front desk staff were friendly. The room was very clean with a "basic modern" style, including a flat screen TV. The bathroom was spotless and had a deep tub. The vinyl "wood" floors in the room is preferred to carpet, that is impossible to keep clean. The fridge is loud when it cycles off and on. It would be nice to have a bed-side reading lamp.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Balthazar,

I’m so glad that you chose Motel 6 Kingston and I agree with you the new Phoenix design’s laminate flooring was a great addition to the Motel 6 brand! I will share your comments with the housekeeping department as I’m sure they will be happy to hear that you were impressed with their work.
As you know we do have a fridge and a microwave in every room this can sometimes lead to trouble sleeping as we are not use to sleeping in such proximity to these appliances, however our staff would be more then happy to resolve this by swapping out the overly loud fixture or assisting in a change of rooms. Thank your for the great idea about the bedside lamps I will pass that idea on to the Motel 6 design team so they can consider it for the next evolution of the brand.
Once again thank your for choosing Motel 6 Kingston hope to see on your next visit!

Pickering, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This place looks pretty much brand new, so we figured it couldn't possibly disappoint. How very wrong we were. It is spotlessly clean, I'll give it that, but that's about where the plus side ends. Where to start......

As soon as we stepped off the elevator, the view was.....disturbing. The hall looks like the set of a 1960's sci-fi TV show....a cheesy one. Straight out of Space: 1999, I swear! Then it got worse from there. We opened the door to the room, and were confronted with more of the same motif (see pic). Cold and antiseptic.

Let's start with no carpet in the room - vinyl floor. I don't travel with slippers - I expect carpet under my feet at any decent hotel/motel. I can't recall another instance like this, in a lifetime of travel (excluding certain obvious exceptions, like Caribbean resorts eg - I don't expect carpet there).

There was no closet - just a couple of short hanger rods bolted to the wall (see pic). No hairdryer. The door made a sound as loud as gunshots when you closed it (and I don't mean letting it swing closed from a distance, I mean deliberately and very gently easing it closed. Didn't help - as soon as the lock latches, BOOM!) Said loud sound gets immediately exacerbated by the lack of carpet. The fridge emits an inexcusably loud drone. Everything is chargeable - no complimentary emergency supplies (toothpaste, etc) - everything like that is in a vending machine. So is coffee/tea. That machine was broken the night we were there. Being as it's the only source of coffee in the hotel, when it's broken it would be nice if they fired up the free coffee machine they use in the morning (we checked in around 9:00PM). But no, that remained off. Complimentary breakfast is a granola bar you pick up at the front desk. The beds are platform style - no box spring. No problem - I have one at home. But someone forgot that you need a softer mattress when you take the box spring out of the equation. I spent the night turning from side to side as each shoulder had its' circulation alternately cut off by this infernally hard bed. Only 2 pancake-thin pillows supplied, not even 1 extra. Thin sheet-type blanket and outer cover - not adequate. The water flow in the bathroom is so restricted as to be useless. Not just the shower either, the sink faucet is also ultra low-flow. Hard to wash your hands properly. And the shower head? Forget it. I checked the spec label - 1.25 gallons per minute. That's HALF the flow of my home shower, and it's considered low-flow. Lastly, the place was pretty much deserted - maybe 10 cars max in the parking lot. So what did they do? Put us at the same end of the same floor next to at least 3 other occupied rooms. And of course, without fail, at least one of these rooms was the source of so much noise we had to ask to move to another room. They did arrange that for us promptly and politely. But why they feel the need to cram everyone into the same corner when the place is empty I don't understand. Are they trying to save the housekeeping staff a few extra steps?

You know what? None of this would matter if the price was right. But it wasn't. I've paid the same/little bit more for Comfort Inns and Holiday Inn Expresses recently that would qualify as 5-stars compared to this place. I've been in operating rooms that are more homey and welcoming.

Final thought - I have a dent in my car I consider their fault. Their parking lot is lit by fairly standard looking light poles (you see them everywhere - steel, probably 6-inch diameter post, 20-30 ft high). Completely standard for this environment...except for one thing. These are "planted" (for lack of a better word) in concrete above-ground cylinders that are about 4 ft diameter and 2 ft high. The problem is when you back up to a parking spot (as I did) that has one of these poles behind it, it looks like the pole is well back of the curb. And it is. But that concrete base (because of its' substantial diameter) actually touches the curb. So whereas I should have been able to back my car till the wheels bumped the curb and not have touched the pole, instead I rammed this concrete base, as it's not visible as you back up. Thank you Motel 6.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Motel6Kingston, General Manager at Motel 6 Kingston, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Elwood2012,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Motel 6 Kingston. I am sorry that you are unfamiliar with Motel 6 and you did not enjoy our new Phoenix style. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Motel 6, although it is not everyone’s taste we are extremely proud of our sleek modern design. Our participation in the green key rating program is very important and we have installed low flow heads on all sinks and showers to help conserve water. Motel 6 on the whole does not include extra items in guest rooms. By not putting all the extras in the guest rooms we cut costs, which in turn helps us pass the savings along to all our guests. I’m happy to see from your photos that you did receive extra pillows as you know both those and other items such as hairdryers, irons & boards, playpens, blankets etc. are available at the front desk free of charge. On the night you arrived we were installing a new coffee vending machine in our lobby for the convenience of our guests when we are not offering free morning coffee. Motel 6 only offers free coffee from 5am until 10 am. The night you stayed were only half full but unfortunately we only have 3 one queen sized bed rooms (the room type you reserved) on each floor this does limit the location in which we place our guests, I am glad however the staff was able to accommodate your request to change rooms by upgrading you into a double room. At Motel 6 Kingston we strive to provide clean comfortable rooms at a great price that is why your rate was $74.99 while our closest comparable rate was $129.00. I am sorry to hear that you dented your car, as with most large parking lots we do have a cement surround at the base of the poles to prevent the poles from toppling over if they are hit.

Belleville, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The smokers on staff seem to enjoy lighting up right next to the doors of the lobby. Consequently the smoke blows in each time a door opens and smothers the entire main level. The building is rated a non-smoking area.

I've stayed there three times and each time the rooms were clean and had average appointments. The bathrooms were clean, which is a plus. The one room needed floor tile repair around the toilet and tub.

I wonder if the bedspreads and top blankets are ever washed. The one bed had soiled blankets. Not conducive to wanting to crawl into the sheets after you've seen that.

Overall, my experiences with this place have been average. The staff were open to questions, receptive, but not overly friendly. The staff and manager weren't accepting of my complaint concerning cigarette smoke wafting about, instead offering excuses rather than solutions. Not the way to impress patrons who pay to stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the front, as the rooms facing the 401 have some traffic noise.