“Lobby smells of cigarette smoke.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Motel 6 Kingston

Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Belleville, Canada
“Lobby smells of cigarette smoke.”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The smokers on staff seem to enjoy lighting up right next to the doors of the lobby. Consequently the smoke blows in each time a door opens and smothers the entire main level. The building is rated a non-smoking area.

I've stayed there three times and each time the rooms were clean and had average appointments. The bathrooms were clean, which is a plus. The one room needed floor tile repair around the toilet and tub.

I wonder if the bedspreads and top blankets are ever washed. The one bed had soiled blankets. Not conducive to wanting to crawl into the sheets after you've seen that.

Overall, my experiences with this place have been average. The staff were open to questions, receptive, but not overly friendly. The staff and manager weren't accepting of my complaint concerning cigarette smoke wafting about, instead offering excuses rather than solutions. Not the way to impress patrons who pay to stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the front, as the rooms facing the 401 have some traffic noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Motel6Kingston, General Manager at Motel 6 Kingston, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Falcon F,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Motel 6 Kingston. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Motel 6 Kingston, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we have taken the appropriate measures to address the staff smoking location to prevent future occurrence. Thank you for bringing the repairs in need of doing to my attention.

Motel 6 Kingston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed here one night recently in early February of 2013. We were travelling in a snowstorm and needed a place to crash for a few hours before journeying on. The road sign off the highway advertised a $69.00 room rate. Having worked in the hotel industry for a good number of years I found it rather odd that the rate was based on one adult (which clearly wasn't stipulated on the signage) but nonetheless, we accepted the rate due to the lateness of the hour. The Overnight Desk Clerk was wasn't overly friendly, did what he had to do and we quickly went on our way.

Once inside the room, we felt like we had just walked into a University Dorm Room. I quick look around and you'll notice what I am referring to. A typical Motel 6 feels complete with pretty basic furniture, a restroom style bathroom (where we found hairs on the toilet and floor), a very uncomfortable bed and a dirty floor. It did have a flat screen which was surprising but no HD meant pretty shotty reception for our viewing pleasure.

This brings us the biggest downfall of the stay, our sleep... which was horrid! The small mini fridge in the room keep going off at all hours of the night. It had this intermittent cycle that came on every 15 minutes which made this very loud generator-type sound waking us both up. Not to mention the plough truck that was removing snow just outside our guest room window at 5am!

The next morning when we expressed unhappiness with the Hotel Manager (Clayton Kemp) and Assistant. Neither expressed any empathy and simply brushed off the matter as no big deal. A simple acknowledgement of the issue and a slight reduction of the bill would have been sufficient but we left knowing our business wasn't valued there. There is this guarantee on the back of the door which states that you are satisfied or "We'll Make It Right". Well they never made it right so the whole mission statement is a real farce.

I tried calling their main customer service line on this matter. They told us their hands are tied and it’s up to the Motel itself to handle the matter. I am done with Motel 6's, you get more value by paying a little more to another Hotel down the street. Keep on driving by!

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Mackiedubby
Dear Mackiedubby,

As we discussed upon your departure we do place the fridge and microwave in ever room for our guests convenience during your next stay we would be happy to unplug the appliances prior to your arrival and unfortunately living in this area snow removal is inevitable as we have guests arriving and departing at all times of the day and night so we need the premises to be as safe as possible, but in no way did I intend for you to feel brushed off.

Please accept my sincerest apologies that your experience was less than satisfactory. It is disappointing to learn that you feel I fell short of our goals in this instance. I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your concerns.

Please know that I value you as our guest and would like all our guests to see us at our very best to this end please contact me to discus this matter in depth.

Very truly yours,

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed at Motel 6 in Kingston in July 2012. Our group was 3 adults and a 17-year-old. We hadn’t made a reservation but fortunately they had a room available. Looks like it’s better to book it before arrival. They don’t charge for kids under 18. The room was nice and clean with two queen beds, plenty of towels. Parking is free. Good choice to spend couple nights in Kingston.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Motel6Kingston, General Manager at Motel 6 Kingston, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Edward G,
Thank you for your review, we appreciate you choosing Motel 6 Kingston.

It is true the summer here is extremely busy and it is always good to call ahead, however we do our best to accommodate any spur of the moment guests as well.

Until next time!

M6 Kingston
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Visited this motel on Jan 5/2013 after reading various reviews. Stayed only one night as I was there on a business interview. Was pleasantly surprised at how friendly the staff was and further impressed by the rooms and how neat and clean everything was. Lord knows I am picky. Will definately be back with my mother next time. She will be surprised by the sleek modern design.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Giselle1969,
Thank your for your wonderful comments about Motel 6 Kingston.

We look forward to your return with your mother be sure to pick up a visitors guide at guest service for suggestions on local events, attractions and restaurants.

Sincerely

M6 Kingston
Orangeville, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed here for a sports event in Kingston and picked it based on price ( $70 for the date we were travelling through Expediua) and reviews for the property.
Rooms are modern, very clean, efficient, beds comfortable. I had the best sleep I have probably had in a hotel in a long time. staff is very friendly.
great hotel for quick 1 night visits to Kingston..
Off the highway, about 12 km from downtown, but lots of malls nearby and chain restaurants such as Kelsey's, East side Mario etc. We found a great little Italian grill restaurant 5 minutes down the road called Fazooli's- highly recommend.
It took us 15 minutes to get to our final destination, the RMC the next morning.
We will stay here again when in Kingston.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Motel6Kingston, General Manager at Motel 6 Kingston, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear 552James,
Thank you so much for your review, I agree Fazooli’s is a great little spot next time your in town you should try Wooden Heads it is also very good!

Prince Edward Island
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My friend and I stayed here on December 11th/12 while travelling back to PEI from Ontario with her two cats. The cats were welcomed and we were given a beautiful, newly updated room. The hotel provided free computer in the lobby which was very helpful when I needed to check my emails from home and directions for travelling. Free local newspapers were also available as well as coffee in the lobby. Staff was very friendly and helpful, rates were great for the location, hotel was very quiet.

Room Tip: Off the main roads but easily accessible so there is very little noise around.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Redislander,
Thank you so much for your review, we always look forward to visits from our four legged guests as well as the two legged variety!

Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed at Motel 6 couple of weeks ago. The service was so excellent. The young lady who greeted me and checked me in was so friendly and helpful. The room was beautiful and very clean. The hotel was a great value for the money. I would highly recommend it and will stay there again.
FR from Toronto

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the above floors versus the first floor that is where I was staying. You get am...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Fariba R
Motel6Kingston, General Manager at Motel 6 Kingston, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Fariba R,
I’m so glad you had the opportunity to see our new Phoenix design guest rooms! Please stop by and visit us any time!

Clayton Kemp GM M6 Kingston