“One night in Kingston”

Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Fonthill, Canada
“One night in Kingston”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Wasn't to sure about this property when we drove in. However, we were pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and the decor of the room. We had a room in the main building, in the 2nd floor. It had a king size bed, a little nook with a sink, small fridge and microwave, a tiny, but functional bathroom and a little sitting area with a tv. On top of that, a nice deck space with some comfy seats, overlooking the water. More of an upscale hotel room than what is normally considered "motel". And reasonably priced too!! Very happy that we didn't turn around to look for something else :).

Room Tip: Not sure about the motel style rooms, but the rooms in the main building are nice.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KimShennan
roxy611, Guest Relations Manager at Bayside Inn & Waterfront Suites, responded to this review, September 6, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the hotel team at Bayside Inn and Waterfront Suites, we would like to thank you for being our guests and allowing us to accommodate you in Kingston!

We are extremely delighted to hear about your recent stay at our hotel in the waterview king suite and appreciate your kind consideration as we were performing various renovations to the hotel. I am pleased to say the hotel renovations are complete and we now have rebranded into a waterfront boutique hotel!

Once again, thank you for visiting us and helping us improve our facility. Your suggestions have better enabled us to optimize guest experience! Thank you so much for that.

Bayside Inn & Waterfront Suites

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Brockport, New York
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I stay here for about 1 month on business. The owner and the staff are very friendly and accommodating. For example the fridge in my room was small and older and when i asked Tony about it he brought me a brand new fridge the next day. When I was there in January 2014 they were in the process of upgrading some things and when they are done this will be a very nice place. My room still needed some upgrades but the bathroom was already done and very nice. It could have been a little cleaner but I really only noticed when I had to move a few thing to set up my computer table. I agree with the complaints about the train and this is one of the reasons I switched motels. The other being that is was a little far from my area of work. I was told that they are redoing the walls to increase the sound proofing. I would stay here again but not long term only because of the trains. The Waterfront rooms are done up very nice. Tim's and laundry mat a crossed the road a plus!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Jeff S
Cornwall, Canada
Reviewed June 19, 2014

my wife and I stayed there last Saturday night. the service was good and very welcoming, but the property has a lot of garbage and the waterfront side has not been maintained in regards to grass cutting and landscaping. the renovations seem to be like putting lipstick on a pig, but I guess that's the way they are going. our room was small but seemed to be fairly clean. what made the trip a disaster was when my wife found a cockroach roaming the bathroom sink. there are long term tenants there that seem a bit on the rough side as well. I do not recommend this hotel in the condition it is in currently. maybe the results will be better in time, but I am very doubtful. for the same price range, I recommend going on princess st to the motels near rona if you are looking for budget friendly and clean motels.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank jamntam
Dear Valued Guest,

We are glad you enjoyed the service, the rooms, and found our hotel welcoming. Also, we appreciate your kind consideration as we were performing various renovations to the hotel. I am pleased to say the hotel renovations are complete and we now have rebranded into a waterfront boutique hotel!

Apart from your positive experiences, I completely agree with your concerns about the maintenance of the hotel grounds and apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we are understaffed at the busy weekend when you arrived which is why the outdoor maintenance work was unattended at the time. I shared your experiences with all of our hotel staff members especially the cleaning staff and stressed all of the points you raised in an effort to optimize future guest experiences as much as possible.

walnut
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We recently spent one night at this motel. They are working hard on room improvements. Musty smell in some of the rooms. We had a wonderful view of the bay and marina. Nice deck to relax on. Best part was the over the top excellent customer service. Such a kind wonderful team that tried to accommodate our needs. We were overwhelmed by their kindness. We had a clean room with a queen size bed. Tim Hortons is right across the street and a decent sit down restaurant within a couple of minute walking distance. Other than that we did not find much around there. Very noisy train travelling often nearby

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank LindaWalnut
Dear Valued Guest,

We are glad you enjoyed the ambiance of the Waterfront and found our property location convenient. It is also a pleasure to hear you had a positive experience with one of our friendly staff members during your stay and appreciate your kind consideration as we were performing various renovations to the hotel. I am pleased to say the hotel renovations are complete and we now have rebranded into a waterfront boutique hotel!

Apart from your positive experiences, I completely agree with your concerns about the musty smell of some rooms and apologize for the inconvenience. I shared your experiences with all of our hotel staff members especially the cleaning staff and stressed all of the points you raised in an effort to optimize future guest experiences as much as possible. These guestroom odor issues have since been eliminated with our new cleaning products from Ecolab.

Akron
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Cheryl, the owner/mgr, was very welcoming & hospitable...she kindly kept the office open until our 10pm arrival (end of a 9 hour drive). Construction & renovations are in progress and she asked us to please ignore the piles waiting for a dumpster. No problem! The view of Collins Bay from our room was peaceful and the sun made the water sparkle. Also, the motel's location was convenient for the friends we were visiting in Amherstview.
Room 114 was an odd mix of furniture/amenities. Nice flat screen TV, but the kitchenette chair broke when sat on. Cooking supplies were yard sale worthy. We couldn't find fault with anyone for the crazy Mayfly invasion, but we know they could easily improve their cleaning: e.g. wash the back of the bathroom door all around the handle, vacuum under the bed, re-caulk the shower, replace the shower curtain that had mold on the inside, add a clean fresh coat of paint.
Cheryl said the room had been re-done awhile ago, and they plan to re-do it again using a king-size bed. Very small room -- that will be a challenge. My husband and I would currently rate the motel with 2 stars; $107 p/ngt was way overpriced.

Room Tip: Seems to be only 2 rooms on ground level with a view of the Bay.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Teresa J
Dear Valued Guest,

Apart from your positive experiences, I completely agree with your concerns and apologize for the inconvenience. It is very unfortunate that our guest room could not meet your expectations even though we always strive to make a sincere effort towards enhancement of guest experience. I shared your experiences with all of our hotel staff members especially the cleaning staff and stressed all of the points you raised in an effort to optimize future guest experiences as much as possible. Room 114 has now been converted to a waterfront king room with completely new furniture, bedding, and furnished balcony.

Once again, thank you for visiting us and helping us improve our facility. We sincerely regret not being able to fully meet your expectations during your stay and would appreciate if you could give us another opportunity to accommodate you the next time you visit kingston.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed here for the weekend with a group of four friends in two rooms (junior waterview suite and regular room).

Pros: Very friendly owners, obviously working hard to renovate the place, clean, across the street from a Tim Hortons and next to a good bistro, beautiful location on waterfront of Collins Bay.

Cons: Though the rooms were reno'ed, there were still glitches, like door handles and clock radios that didn't work, and little things like no kleenex, no hair dryers, etc. Some beds were new, some were older and not great. Also a little noisy as given the location very close to active rail tracks.

Conclusion: We'd go back. We had a great weekend and despite the small glitches (to be expected in a small owner-operated place), it is overall a good place to stay.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, make sure you don't have one of the rooms that requires climbing ou...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PolarLawyer
roxy611, General Manager at Bayside Inn & Waterfront Suites, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We are glad you enjoyed the Waterview Junior Suite and our Classic Two Double bed rooms! It is also a pleasure to hear you had a very positive experience with our friendly staff during your stay and appreciated the thorough improvement of the hotel; this is what we are here for!

As for the small glitches, I completely agree with you and apologize for any inconvenience. Please understand that we have successfully completed the single-story building as part of the first phase of our renovation. Next, we will be completing the final phase of our renovation to the exterior of the hotel's main building, giving the place a brand new trendy look. You will no longer experience any problems with door handles as they will be replaced shortly. In addition to the above, guests will be pleased to know we are almost finished replacing any older mattresses remaining with brand new ones in the hotel as part of our mattress replacement initiative.

Once again, thank you for visiting us and helping us improve our facility. We will to see you again soon!

Bolton, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I booked this hotel online for my families first visit to Kingston, I thought staying on the water just outside the city would be relaxing . On our way up I decided to call the hotel to confirm my reservation and double check the check in time and while speaking to the lady who answered the phone she told me my reservation was not for that day but the day before... I was confused as my reservation had a different date as hers and asked her what I should to do,she said I should call the booking company so I did and after speaking with the booking company and they told me this was something I would have to speak to the hotel about. I called the hotel back and tried to explain to the lady that my reservation paper had the date we were traveling on and there must be a miss understanding so she let me speak to a man... I told him we were two hours away from home and traveling with our 13 month daughter and we have no where to stay now! Basically they couldn't care less and didn't care to sort out the matter or see my reservation for that day he told me they have no rooms and couldn't help me.
I was so upset and worried about finding a room last minute... We ended up finding a room at a hotel in Kingston and had a wonderful weekend.
I can not review the hotel but a can tell you the customer service in terrible, I feel as if I was robbed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Amanda O
roxy611, General Manager at Bayside Inn & Waterfront Suites, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate the time you've taken to give feedback about our hotel. It is regretful to hear that your experience was not a positive one. Lets review the points you raised because they are very important.

You mentioned about making your online booking with us and were not able to stay with us on the day of your arrival. Upon speaking with my front desk and reviewing your reservation details, we have proof of your reservation for August 30th of one night stay. Unfortunately, since you did not show up on the day of your arrival, we had to process a payment of your room of one night plus taxes as stated in our cancellation policy. This is a standard cancellation policy used in almost all hotels in Canada and worldwide. Its purpose is to guarantee a room booking for guests as we did for you on August 30 (see cancellation policy www.baysidehotelkingston.com). Please note that this room was not bookable by other guests for this date.

When you phoned our front desk on the 31st, assuming your arrival was on the 31st, we did not have a room available for this day. This was a very busy labor day weekend so availability was low and we had many people were placed on a waiting list. All in all, we are sorry that we could not accommodate you as our guests in our hotel and would appreciate if you can give us another opportunity to serve you the next time you visit Kingston.