“Would prefer to sleep in car”

Econo Lodge City Centre
Ranked #26 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The room was filthy and despite being labelled as smoke-free, cigarette butts littered the doorway. Sheets had large black stains on them. Courtyard is a mess of concrete, and the stairs smell like fermenting urine...

It was cheap, and it was close to town. If you are willing to brave the above for that, this will suit you.

Room Tip: Even though the non-smoking rooms are still clearly smoked in, the smoking rooms are so chock-full o...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LaymanTraveller

Reviewed January 24, 2013

we had to unexpectedly stay over in Kingston and checked into the Econolodge on Princess St.
we were impressed with the clean room,clean freshly pressed linens and spotless bth. rm.
a cont. breakfast was included and there was a good selection. we would stay there again for the convenience of being so close to downtown and tourist spots. able to walk to a lot of venues. the staff was friendly and helpful. good value for sure. only complaint was the old TV- maybe they are upgrading soon
Jane

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The accommodations have improved since I last stayed here. The room I stayed in had a modernized bathroom with new appliances. The bed was actually comfortable and it appeared there was an attempt to clean up the place and modernize it.

HOWEVER

At check-in the woman at the desk demanded my credit card. I figured it was for verification of my reservations. Next thing I know she is putting a $100.00 charge on to the card with no explanation of the charge. I was wondering what was going on because the room I booked was less than what I was being charged. Her explanation of the security credit-card hold in broken English was mediocre at best.
There was no direction on how to get to my room nor was there any direction on where to park for closest access to the room.
Apparently there was even a continental breakfast that I was not made aware of, and of course as result I missed the times for breakfast.
On check-out, the same lady was at the desk. She was very abrupt and didn't even ask if I enjoyed my stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We recieved a group rate which was approx. only 5,00 off for 20 rooms not a good deal, The screen in room was bent in half propping open window so room was freezing. Hallways were dirty and reeked of smoke. Saw a cockroach on door of room. The door was also broke the security latch was missing. Friendly front desk staff though.Not coming back,

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank csnowdogs
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The room size was small-but After all you only need it to sleep right? The lamp shades were dented and rusty. The pillowcases on the pillows were too small and half the pillow was uncovered.
The worst was the bathroom-I went to take a shower and noticed pubic hair from the person who stayed in the room before us-I was so grossed out I refused to take a shower. The bathroom was low on toilet paper with no extra in sight. When we checked in the desk person didn't even grunt a hello-perhaps she didn't speak English of course since she didn't say anything-I'll never know.
I will never stay there again

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Sweetchks442
Reviewed September 5, 2012

If you just want the basics for 1 night this is OK. It was a hot day & our room cooled down shortly after turning on the AC. However, all of the hallways stayed very warm well into the night. It took me awhile to find the ice machine on a different floor from what I was staying on. Everything in our rooms worked well to include the wireless internet. But the paint was peeling from the ceiling in our room & the whole place looked like it needed a face lift. The staff was friendly, but spent a lot of time smoking on the front steps of the hotel. All of the breakfast items were cold, but that is what was advertised. This may be OK for some people, but this was the first time that I had stayed at an Econo Lodge & it will be the last.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank harryatkck
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We were somewhat skeptical booking into this hotel but the sign said newly renovated so we did. The room was small but clean and the king bed was very comfortable. Free breakfast was a bit scarce but if you want a cheap room this is it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple