“You get what you pay for.”

Econo Lodge City Centre
Ranked #26 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed September 5, 2012

If you just want the basics for 1 night this is OK. It was a hot day & our room cooled down shortly after turning on the AC. However, all of the hallways stayed very warm well into the night. It took me awhile to find the ice machine on a different floor from what I was staying on. Everything in our rooms worked well to include the wireless internet. But the paint was peeling from the ceiling in our room & the whole place looked like it needed a face lift. The staff was friendly, but spent a lot of time smoking on the front steps of the hotel. All of the breakfast items were cold, but that is what was advertised. This may be OK for some people, but this was the first time that I had stayed at an Econo Lodge & it will be the last.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank harryatkck

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We were somewhat skeptical booking into this hotel but the sign said newly renovated so we did. The room was small but clean and the king bed was very comfortable. Free breakfast was a bit scarce but if you want a cheap room this is it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dldenis
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Before we settled in Kingston, my wife and I stayed overnight to meet a housing agent the next day - so, we wanted a clean but super cheap place to lay our heads down after a long drive from Vankleek Hill where we had been living. I liked the idea of Kingston as a retirement town because of the hospitals and the University (Queens), Fort St.Henry and the fact that way back when I visited there had been One (1) Indian restaurant and I love Indian cuisine!. Plus my wife's totem/avatar thingy is water and Kingston is right at the mouth of Lake Ontario! This is where we wanted to retire. Me, because I'm 65 and disabled (arthritis and other chronic pain) and she wanted a good job where she didn't need to speak French ( she's a South African).
We settled on the Econo Lodge Centre City because it was very reasonable $ wise and it was right in the centre of the town.
Now, it is a typical square box reception room with a long stretch of rooms reaching back away from the noise of the main drag, Princess Street. It offered a steaming pot of dreadful coffee in the lobby with sugar and pretend milk stuff - we paid up and walked back about 4 doors to our room. My back was aching from the car so I lay down on the bed right away and EUREKA! It was a real mattress! I checked and it was one of those hellishly expensive posture orthopedic luxury jobs! We had the best night's sleep in years! But, before that, we wanted to know where was a good Indian restaurant nearby. Lots of Indian restaurants nowadays in Kingston! The receptionist said that we should try Darbar about four blocks south on Princess Street. Well, it was a miracle place with terrific food and friendly service and very reasonably priced!
It was only one night but it was the most comfortable I've ever had. The bathroom was clean with plenty of towels and little bottles of shampoo. We left refreshed the next day. We didn't bother with the free coffee...

Room Tip: Get a room furthest away from the main Street, Princess Street.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank dailyllama m
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Rooms are clean and the location is good. The price is a bit high $89 if you don't get CAA discount and so on, comparing to the others in the area.

The breakfast was a really fast one and a bit croweded...too small area for all guests...

Room Tip: Rooms close to the exit ...ie...101 as otherwise you got to walk in a corridor for a while to get to...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Loveabeachandsun
Reviewed June 15, 2012

The place is a 30 minute walk from the waterfront or 10 by car. The staff is friendly and helpful. The place could be a little cleaner but is still clean. At the price we paid 80$ with caa it was not expensive.

Room Tip: You pay the same price for a queen or a king, might as well get the king.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank klodio
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed here for one night and got the room through Hotwire. The hotel is barely average. It was clean enough and the bed was comfortable but there was an odour in the room that suggested it used to be a smoking room. It was fine for one night but we did feel the rate we paid was $20 to high for what it is.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Wireless was stable but unsecured. The complimentary breakfast was basic. Couple types of cereal, toast, muffins, juice, coffee and some fruit.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dmathnz
Reviewed May 11, 2012

To start off on a positive note the bed was wonderfully comfortable and I had a great night's sleep and that, after all, is what I hope for when staying in a hotel. The "deluxe" continental breakfast certainly was not deluxe but I have had worse. But that does not mean that I thought it was a great hotel. The biggest problem was that even in a non-smoking room it was almost impossible to escape the smell of cigarette smoke. I think the source of the problem is the bar/grill that is underneath the non-smoking wing and a courtyard outside where smokers obviously hung out and where the window air conditioners were located. Additionally the room was very cramped - no room in the bathroom to put a cosmetic bag and the toilet roll was on the wall opposite from the toilet but not a big reach. The decor consisted of a myriad of designs which I think could be quite challenging for anyone with a medical disorder - not very attractive!!! The hotel itself is located about 2.5km from the hub of the action on Princess Street and the area appeared to be a little sketchy. We were just there for the night since we had to be at the hospital the following morning and live 2-1/2 hours away. Not a place I would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family