“Small room, smoke filled hallways”

Econo Lodge City Centre
Ranked #26 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed May 11, 2012

To start off on a positive note the bed was wonderfully comfortable and I had a great night's sleep and that, after all, is what I hope for when staying in a hotel. The "deluxe" continental breakfast certainly was not deluxe but I have had worse. But that does not mean that I thought it was a great hotel. The biggest problem was that even in a non-smoking room it was almost impossible to escape the smell of cigarette smoke. I think the source of the problem is the bar/grill that is underneath the non-smoking wing and a courtyard outside where smokers obviously hung out and where the window air conditioners were located. Additionally the room was very cramped - no room in the bathroom to put a cosmetic bag and the toilet roll was on the wall opposite from the toilet but not a big reach. The decor consisted of a myriad of designs which I think could be quite challenging for anyone with a medical disorder - not very attractive!!! The hotel itself is located about 2.5km from the hub of the action on Princess Street and the area appeared to be a little sketchy. We were just there for the night since we had to be at the hospital the following morning and live 2-1/2 hours away. Not a place I would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 593hjort
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge City Centre

Reviewed May 1, 2012

warning to anyone even thinging of staying here. Booked a king non smoking room. As soon as entered floor the very strong odour of a dirty ashtray was present and carried through into the room. Tried to cancel due to this fact and was told no. Left anyway to find another place to stay. Called booking .com and they were able to get my money back. Booking .com is highly recommended to use to find a hotel. just do not stay at this one EVER

Room Tip: choose a room at another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jeff m
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Basic room ok, very basic Breakfast with very small paper plates; in front of Reception. Reasonable value, cheapest on our 3 week tour, but not the worst. Too far to walk to waterfront. Discount for over 60s

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Soundsman
Reviewed September 12, 2011

First they tried to put me in a room that was supposedly non-smoking, but reeked of smoke. Then the second room had various key misfunctions which caused me to walk to the front desk about 12 times in two days. Finally the internet was horribly weak in my room and only a bit better in the lounge First night $99, second $79. Don't know if the economy was worth the hassle. Lame breakfast as seems to be usual in Canada.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank JpChown
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We couldn't afford the B-and-Bs or the more expensive hotels in Kingston's attractive downtown so, for the second time, we stayed at the Econo Lodge. It's a half hour walk from the lakefront, and about the same distance from Queen's; that sounds a lot, but we got used to it during our four-day stay, walking into town in the morning and coming back that afternoon. (If you take your car into downtown Kingston, street parking is almost non-existent though you can park in one of the ramps where the first hour's free whilst you do your shopping or looking around.) The Econo Lodge is pretty standard: clean and comfortable enough, but nothing fancy. Wireless internet in our room was patchy and unpredictable. Breakfast was vestigial: Froot Loops and watered-down orange juice give you the idea. Still, the staff were friendly, the rooms were fine, and the price was better than other places we looked at. We've booked the Econo Lodge again for our next stay in a month's time.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2011

My family booked several rooms while we were in town for my niece's graduation from RMC in the spring. The room was reasonably clean and equipped, however I barely slept due to kids partying in the halls and right outside my hotel window . I could hear the side exit door slamming all night long as kids were coming and going. I went to the front desk to complain at 3 am and although I could see a girl at the front desk the door was locked for security reasons ! After banging on the door the girl came to open it for me. She apologized for the noise but said could not do anything more because they had no security on duty ! The kids were still outside my window in the morning (see picture). Hung-over kids were loud and abusive to several other guests while we ate breakfast at the hotel in the morning. Again, no intervention from the hotel staff. My parents experience was not quite as bad though as they had a room at the back , however it may all depend on where the party is that night. I would look elsewhere....

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Bicwindsurfer
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Stayed 2 nights and have nothing bad to say about this hotel. The room was large (2 queens) and clean. The bathroom likewise, although the layout was a little cramped. The toilet is placed so that you can have the bathroom door open or shut - but if you want to move from one state to the other you cannot do it whilst sitting on the 'throne'. No vanity in the bathroom either - just a smallish shelf over the toilet, but those are both minor issues.

One note if you are travelling alone and security conscious - ground floor rooms on the "even numbered" side look out onto an open concrete area that would allow someone to gain access to the room through the louvered windows above the bigger window. I made sure the upper windows that open were firmly shut and locked, which meant that I had to rely on the air conditioner for air circulation at night.

Parking is at the side of the hotel (lot is a shared one so you can only park in designated areas) or around the back. Not much lighting in the back and the parking lot has apartment buildings on 2 sides and a fair amount of foot and bicycle traffic through it at night.

Breakfast was toast, cereal, coffee, tea, juice and fruit -- not fancy but there is a restaurant across the street (and a used bookstore and a Giant Tiger) and there are plenty of placed within walking distance.

Staff were very accommodating - I originally booked for 1 night, then changed my arrival to 1 day earlier, then asked to book for a second night -- all handled with a pleasant smile and instant co-operation.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family