“OK for a night or two”

Ranked #26 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Bristol, United Kingdom
“OK for a night or two”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

Basic room ok, very basic Breakfast with very small paper plates; in front of Reception. Reasonable value, cheapest on our 3 week tour, but not the worst. Too far to walk to waterfront. Discount for over 60s

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Soundsman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
DeKalb, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

First they tried to put me in a room that was supposedly non-smoking, but reeked of smoke. Then the second room had various key misfunctions which caused me to walk to the front desk about 12 times in two days. Finally the internet was horribly weak in my room and only a bit better in the lounge First night $99, second $79. Don't know if the economy was worth the hassle. Lame breakfast as seems to be usual in Canada.

Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank JpChown
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

We couldn't afford the B-and-Bs or the more expensive hotels in Kingston's attractive downtown so, for the second time, we stayed at the Econo Lodge. It's a half hour walk from the lakefront, and about the same distance from Queen's; that sounds a lot, but we got used to it during our four-day stay, walking into town in the morning and coming back that afternoon. (If you take your car into downtown Kingston, street parking is almost non-existent though you can park in one of the ramps where the first hour's free whilst you do your shopping or looking around.) The Econo Lodge is pretty standard: clean and comfortable enough, but nothing fancy. Wireless internet in our room was patchy and unpredictable. Breakfast was vestigial: Froot Loops and watered-down orange juice give you the idea. Still, the staff were friendly, the rooms were fine, and the price was better than other places we looked at. We've booked the Econo Lodge again for our next stay in a month's time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Burlington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

My family booked several rooms while we were in town for my niece's graduation from RMC in the spring. The room was reasonably clean and equipped, however I barely slept due to kids partying in the halls and right outside my hotel window . I could hear the side exit door slamming all night long as kids were coming and going. I went to the front desk to complain at 3 am and although I could see a girl at the front desk the door was locked for security reasons ! After banging on the door the girl came to open it for me. She apologized for the noise but said could not do anything more because they had no security on duty ! The kids were still outside my window in the morning (see picture). Hung-over kids were loud and abusive to several other guests while we ate breakfast at the hotel in the morning. Again, no intervention from the hotel staff. My parents experience was not quite as bad though as they had a room at the back , however it may all depend on where the party is that night. I would look elsewhere....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Bicwindsurfer
Hamilton, ON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

Stayed 2 nights and have nothing bad to say about this hotel. The room was large (2 queens) and clean. The bathroom likewise, although the layout was a little cramped. The toilet is placed so that you can have the bathroom door open or shut - but if you want to move from one state to the other you cannot do it whilst sitting on the 'throne'. No vanity in the bathroom either - just a smallish shelf over the toilet, but those are both minor issues.

One note if you are travelling alone and security conscious - ground floor rooms on the "even numbered" side look out onto an open concrete area that would allow someone to gain access to the room through the louvered windows above the bigger window. I made sure the upper windows that open were firmly shut and locked, which meant that I had to rely on the air conditioner for air circulation at night.

Parking is at the side of the hotel (lot is a shared one so you can only park in designated areas) or around the back. Not much lighting in the back and the parking lot has apartment buildings on 2 sides and a fair amount of foot and bicycle traffic through it at night.

Breakfast was toast, cereal, coffee, tea, juice and fruit -- not fancy but there is a restaurant across the street (and a used bookstore and a Giant Tiger) and there are plenty of placed within walking distance.

Staff were very accommodating - I originally booked for 1 night, then changed my arrival to 1 day earlier, then asked to book for a second night -- all handled with a pleasant smile and instant co-operation.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank miss_pelled
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

Upon checking into our first room at the EconoLodge my allergies were overwhelmed by the dust and dirt, there was also staining on the walls and disgusting yellow water in the freezer. We promptly changed rooms and left for our scheduled activities assuming it was just because it was a "smoking room". The new "non smoking" room seemed ok until we got back and were acctually in it, there was a BLOOD STAIN, burn holes and rips on the comforter . The dust and dirt around the perimeter of the room was so thick I could pick it up in clumps. The "renovated" bathroom had mold in the grout and caulking. The security latch on the inside of the door was broken. I coughed all night because of the air quality. We were too tired to change hotels at that late hour. We were to stay two nights but promptly checked out early the next morning after not eating our breakfast that included warm juice, warm fruit salad and dirty utensils.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank egriffi
Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

My husband and I spent 4 nights at this hotel. I had done alot of research prior to booking this hotel but wish I had known a how close it was to downtown.
By looking at a map is deceiving looks close to the waterfront, we found out it was about 30-40 minute walk from the hotel to the waterfront, a bit far but it was ok for us.
For your information Super 8 Motel is about 8 minutes closer to the waterfront and looked clean as well. Howard Johnson is between the 2 and didin't look that nice.

We arrived Monday afternoon check in was smooth, we we on the first floor, this was fine. Everything was tidy and clean in the room. Bed pretty comfortable.
The continental breakfast in the morning is basic but just what we were looking for, toast, cereal, muffins, pastries, fresh fruitsome days there was caned fruit and coffee. there are table set up in the area to eat.
Parking is included in the price, the parking lot is behind the hotel.
Did not stay at the hotel for long periods just sleeping.
That part of princess street gets a bit sketchy in the evening/ night.
For my next trip to Kingston I would prefer to stay closer to the waterfront, but I know it would be much more than what we paid for this hotel. For a budget this hotel did a good job.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple