“Suprisingly average to poor this time”
Review of Olivea

Olivea
Ranked #24 of 429 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown Kingston
Kingston, Canada
“Suprisingly average to poor this time”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Olivea has one of the best locations in Kingston. The view oozes with history. With that, comes a reponsbility for Olivea to match the experience. I have been to Olivea several times with both large and small parties and have always been very happy. So much so, that I consistently recommend this restaurant to my out of town colleagues whenever they are in Kingston. But this time was dissappointing. I'm not sure what is happening with the wait staff, but they seem to be a little too casual. Our waitress did not know the specials and constantly had to refer to the chalk board in describing them. Once we had ordered, there was a mixup. My wifes food came out in a reasonable time but mine was no where to be found. I was told there was a slight issue and that my meal would be out in a few minutes. A few minutes turned into 10, turned into 15. My wife was finished her meal by the time I got mine. I was offered compensation of a free dessert. As we had theatre tickets and the service was quite slow we simply didn't have time to take advantage of the offer. When I explained this, no other concession was made, just a "sorry about the wait". I thought more could have been done here, especailly as the waitress knew we were returning customers. This came across as a take or leave it offer instead of a genuine apology.
As for the food, my wife was pleased with her shrimp based pasta dish. My beef was cooked beautifully. The pasta on the other hand I found to be sticky and lacking in any real flavour. Not sure if they have changed chef's, but I didn't think either meal was up to the standard we had previously experienced.
As for other staff, there was another waitress in the restaurant who I found to be quite loud. She was serving a larger table next to us, which ended up being very distracting. There was a young hostess that seemed more interested in people watching than being of any realy help. This all comes down to management making sure staff are where they should be, trained and motivated.
If I was a first time customer I would have rated Olivea as poor, but I know they have better in them. I will go back at some point I'm sure with hopes of the experience I've had in the past, but that wont be for some time unfortunately.
One more red flag to mention. I made our reservation on the afteroon of a sunny Friday afternoon. I was surprised that I was able to get my preferred time of 6:00pm for that evening. Perhaps most people dine at 7:00pm or later these days and I'm simply not in the know. However, I noticed that they were not as busy as I would have expected for one of the first beautiful sping days we've had this year. Perhaps the word is out that Olivea is on the decline. I hope they can change things around.

• Visited May 2014

“Poor Service”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I've been to Oliveas several times and have consistently been unimpressed. I find the food pretentious and lack-luster and the experience generally mediocre. That being said, I went for dinner this week with my parents and had absolutely terrible service- being a server myself, I am pretty understanding of the difficulties synonymous with the job, but this was inexcusable. It began when she couldn't name the specials, but instead referred us to a chalk board which we had to turn completely around to see; it then continued when she couldn't tell us what meats we were eating on the meat board. Beyond this, her rudely relaxed attitude was disrespectful. I have had her a few times before and never been satisfied with her service, but this time was particularly unpleasant. Really puts a bad taste in my mouth, for an otherwise ok restaurant.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank RestarauntReviewer28
toronto
“Delicious”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I recently ate here as part of a group and had a wonderful dinner. The restaurant is in a lovely location overlooking Market Square and the food was beautifully presented and delicious. The starter board of local cheese and cured meats was enjoyed by all, as was the house made pasta. I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Visited April 2014
“Fresh Ingredients”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I have been here a few times for fresh raw oyster bar, jazz on Tuesday evenings and a sampling of different. often unique creations, from the chef. Great spot.

• Visited September 2013
Canada
“Nice place”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Nice ambience; good for a date in that respect. That said, the food was not particularly imaginative, and its quality did not match the elevated cost.

• Visited November 2013