“Just okay”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Kingston
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Was taken for a meal here. The food was fine, nothing spectacular. I had the squid to start, and while the waitress raved that it was her favorite, it was simply some grilled squid on sauce, which almost appeared to be mayo and hot sauce. The salad with chicken that then followed was fine, but again nothing remarkable about it. While I did not pay for this meal, I expect there are places with better taste-to-value ratios than Olivea.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We did not enjoy the meal we had at Olivea. It was noisy and the tables are close together. The service was lacking. The food was mediocre.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Olivea is a regular place for us. It corners the Market Square behind City Hall so looking out the windows is always pleasant, especially on a sunny market day. It also has a patio on Brock Street. It is an Italian style bistro, the food is very good and staff always friendly. I had delicious salad and linguine with a leeks creamy sauce recently for lunch, for $14, which was very reasonable. Come dinner, there is always a table d'hote on offer. Try the rapini as a side order, delicious! Olivea can accommodate larger groups in a separate room. It's also a pleasant place to go just for a drink! I recommend it!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

There are so many great restaurants in Kingston, but this one has to be my absolute least favorite. I would never come here again.
First of all, the featured menu item was told as an instruction to look at a table topper. Aswell when we asked her what was on tap for beer she again instructed us to read the drink menu. This to me is lazy. All servers should 1. Know the featured menu item and 2. Know what's on tap!!
After all of that, our food did come in respectable time. I ordered the beet salad. Which was absolutly discusting!! I was mixed greens and beets with a vinegar dressing. That's it. No nuts to cheese and no ette to the vinegrette. When she came back to the table after most of the table was finished she noticed I had hardly touched my salad. She at least had the courtesy to ask how it was, and I was honest with her. Btw this salad was priced at $14!!!!
She leaves and comes back to tell me my salad was compensated, but never offered the menu back for me to order something different as I was probably still hungry.
Needless to say, i didnt put up a fuss but this is one time i wish i had. Although im sure i would have left even further dissapointed. There are plenty of better resturants in the market square area. Do yourself a favor and skip this one. There is a reason this one can take you last minute when all the others can't.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Nothing remarkable. Somewhat curious evening specials menu for what I thought was an Italian restaurant. A bit pricey for the offerings. Carbonara was good. The experience was...fine. Not great, not awful, just...fine...