“Nice little diner with good service”
Review of The Egg & I

The Egg & I
Ranked #201 of 1,305 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our breakfast menu offers locally farmed fresh grade A eggs, a variety of specialty omelettes or you can ask to create your own; the BEST eggs benedict, which is prepared to satisfy all tastes; freshly prepared hand cut grilled home fries seasoned to perfection, deep fried or plain; In-house made fresh ‘n fluffy buttermilk pancakes, Belgium waffles or Texas French toast all available with a variety of toppings for you to personalize Our Lunch menu features in house made 100% beef burgers; A Swiss mushroom burger topped with sauteed chopped fresh mushrooms and melted Swiss cheese; Homemade soups and an assortment of hot/cold Sandwiches try our famous Club house and roast beef melts cooked in house with fresh turkey and roast beef for anytime of the day. Come For Dinner and enjoy a variety of salads, fresh chicken, and in house made fish & chips with coleslaw. Recommended entrees: a 10oz New York Steak grilled the way you like and loaded with sauteed mushrooms; liver & onions; pasta, with or without meat sauce.
Reviewed March 2, 2014

The world of the diner is a special place, where everyone from business men to unemployed youths gather for a specific purpose: to get some decent food that's better than your average fast food chain, a comfortable chair and a bottomless cup of coffee, complete with sugar on the table. The Egg and I fits this description beautifully, and when you combine the above qualities with the friendly service you get from the pleasant ladies making their rounds with pen and coffee pot, you've got a great place for breakfast and lunch. We all need a little diner in our lives to keep us balanced, and this place is just what the doctor ordered.

1  Thank Seamus_O_Rooney

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I go to The Egg and I a few a times a month. I visit both location Upper James and Ancaster.
Lately i noticed both places starting to change their look inside. New floors, new bathrooms, fresh painting, they look so CLEAN. As far food and service....nothing to complain. Egg and I has been my favour place for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Great portions, always fresh and very reasonable prices. GREAT JOB EGG AND I!!!

1  Thank GBDM
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have gone to the Egg and I, actually both of them Ancaster and the one in Hamilton so many times for either breakfast, lunch or diner and it was great! I recommend The Egg and I to all my friends and relatives. They are all so happy we introduced them to The Egg and I! The food is always fresh and presented nicely and in a timely fashion. The service was also very good and organized that is a task all on its own when it is so very busy not to mention impeccably clean. There are people sweeping and moping all the time. The staff is friendly and courteous and will go the extra mile. This is what I call VIP service at its best. Now the food portions are fit for a KING! You get a lot for your money that is for sure and it is absolutely delicious and well worth it. As for the decorations in both locations they are adorable check out the new renovations they are beautiful. Lots of love goes into both the decor the food and the service. They are a hard act to follow. Thank you.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We visited this predominantly breakfast place in Hamilton having visited a sister place in Ancaster a couple of years ago. What brings people back to the place time after time I don't know, value for money maybe? We were a party of 5 and all had a breakfast derived meals with endless coffee. The portions were manageable but like most North American places on the excessive side. In my view this place is nothing that special to warrant it being visited above anywhere else. Why do you need a field of potatoes with an omelette for heavens sake. The decor is dated and all in all it left me its the impression it could do with bringing into the 21st century. The food tasted good however and the service second to none.

1  Thank RADCTurton
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I was watching one of the cooks as he plated the eggs, one was a little runny so he wiped it off with a towel that he been using to take pans off the grill etc. Made me just a little queasy

2  Thank catpurring