“Possibly the most boring Irish pub in the world”

Rebels Rock Irish Pub
Ranked #499 of 1,221 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Bar, Irish, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Hamilton
“Possibly the most boring Irish pub in the world”
Reviewed August 29, 2008

I've made three visits to this pub, thinking I'd been there on an 'off' day the time before. Unfortunately, every day seems to be an off day at Rebel's Rock.

The first visit was for lunch. Alas, Kate was not in, and the kitchen had ostensibly been closed in her absence. Perhaps because I had brought four others with me, and we all wanted to try the 'famous' fish and chips, the owner offered to whip up a batch. Big mistake. The fries were but raw potatoes slightly heated on the outside, and the fish was marginal (at best). For $14 (plus tip) for each serving, I could have done better elsewhere. That and $7 (plus tip) for a pint of Guinness made for a rather pricey pub lunch, especially a pub lunch that was far below expectations.

Several days later, I thought I'd give Rebel's Rock another shot. I went in shortly before 9 PM hoping for a late dinner and a pint. I began by enquiring about Kate's health. She was fine, apparently, but the kitchen had closed. Fair enough. It was a little late for dinner. I'd try again another time -- earlier in the evening.

The following week, I checked the website and saw that there would be live music that evening after 7 PM. I went over to Rebel's Rock at 7:30, hoping some Irish music and good company would make up for the last two times. Alas, the bar was deserted but for the band's manager ranting quietly at the bar about insufficient promotional efforts. I thought perhaps I'd finally be able to give Kate's fish and chips a try, but although Kate was actually there in the kitchen, the bartender told me she'd just closed it down. "Last call was 10 minutes ago," she said. I'd been there for at least 15 minutes nursing another $7 pint of Guinness; there had been no such announcement.

I walk by Rebel's Rock several times a week, but I've never seen it busy. It has enormous potential -- the bar is well-situated on King Street East in a lovely old Victorian house with a slightly gritty look. Inside, the decor is charming, though space is slightly cramped. For some reason, the washrooms take up almost as much space as the place where live music is performed (assuming live music is ever performed there).

4 Thank Pethead72

hamilton
“A great little irish pub, a little out of the way but worth it! The pub food is nice and hearty: authentically and...”
Reviewed March 10, 2008

A great little irish pub, a little out of the way but worth it! The pub food is nice and hearty: authentically and uniquely good! I LOVE their curry fries!!!! and their irish ales on tap! A good crowd, and some good live music.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Kate's home cooking is just that...Great, Irish, home-cookin'!”
Reviewed January 10, 2008

Kate's home cooking is just that...Great, Irish, home-cookin'!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook