“Disappointing- a slap in the face to vegetarian cooking.”
Review of Affinity Vegetarian Restaurant - CLOSED

Affinity Vegetarian Restaurant
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

I had been excited to visit affinity ever since I had diet heard about there being a local vegetarian buffet that I could sink my teeth into. However, that excitement quickly evaporated once I was actually at the restaurant.

Firstly, I jokingly noted upon arrival that the restaurant had won it's most recent food award in 2009. It now being 2014, I was somewhat skeptical as to why exactly was keeping the awards at a hault.
In more ways than one, I noticed possible reasons why that may be.

The greeting was average, the waiter seated us at a table for two and without a word began to walk away. I quickly mentioned id like to order a drink aside from water so that I didn't miss my chance to we served by the server.

I ordered a mango bubble tea and it was subpar at best. It was unlike any bubble tea id had prior, in that the tapioca pearls were sticks instead, and the mango body of the drink was extremely thin and had a slightly soapy taste. Not to mention there were black specks of foreign nature in the drink. I rarely ever send food back at a restaurant, but I could not drink this, let alone pay for it.

The buffet was next to disappoint me. And I so much wanted to love it. It's not that the food was awful, although it did seem to have been sitting out for at least a few hours.
I have been a vegetarian for about five years now. And have grown to love the creativity and diversity that vegetarian and vegan cooking allows you to explore. I unfortunately felt that the integrity of vegetarianism was compromised at this vegetarian restaurant, with soy dominating the buffet in ways I wish it wouldn't, the lack of life in the salads presented, the abundance of fried foods- for me, it felt like a cheap route to vegan and vegetarian cuisine.

The steamed bok choy and broccoli were a refreshing option amongst the plethora of fried vegetables. The taro cakes were interesting and tasty.

Overall, I felt the entire experience was subpar. The atmosphere was without effort, the cleanliness of the establishment was questionable, and the service was absent. The price was mind blowing, as I didn't think it deserved to be priced at $20 a person, despite it being buffet style.

I have a great affinity for healthy, colourful, fresh and whole vegetarian cuisine. It is unfortunate to me that Affinity is not committed to serving vegetarian meals in these same ways.

1  Thank Andrea R

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I am posting this review simply to upload photos from my last visit. Looking forward to my next dinner at Affinity!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We have visited Affinity several times over the last few years, and always enjoy the food. It's nice to know that everything is vegetarian, without having to check each menu item. The "boxed: meals I've had here are wonderful and very tasty.
However, the buffet (although it is very good value) doesn't seem to be as good as the menu items. Some things were only warm, and the choice is limited. What is available is very tasty and well worth trying. If you like a buffet, all you can eat, this can be worthwhile. Personally, I would prefer the higher quality of selecting from the menu.
The decor is NOT good. The carpet is terrible and it needs a good clean, or replacement. The dining room is lacking any charm and has no style at all. I assume they are trying t keep the costs down, but it's a shame because it spoils an otherwise good meal.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Favourite restaurant. Great vegetarian and vegan Asian-inspired food. Despite what the previous poster said, there is *not* meat, though some of the meat substitutes (like the kung pao soy chicken) simulate the taste very well. Love the kpsc, enoki mushroom balls and the flowering teas, as well as the saitan. I would not get the buffet though, the menu items are *far* better.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Unusual to find a decent vegetarian restaurant serving food from the far east. I ate at lunch time. All the food was fresh, well presented, and tasted great. A little more labelling wouldn't go amiss - but I would definitely stop in here for lunch again.