“Convenient location, ok food”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bean Bar

Bean Bar
Ranked #3 of 25 Dessert in Hamilton
Cuisines: Bar, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Brussels, Belgium
“Convenient location, ok food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

The location is very good. The food is good, although I would not define it exceptional. Great salads. Attentive service. The menu offers really a lot of choices. The value for money is good.

• Visited February 2014

Mississauga, Canada
“Not impressed with food- not worth $$$”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

We had an expensive dinner here last night, and we were disappointed by the fact that the disappointing food was not worth the big bucks. First, my water smelled bad. I honestly don't know if it was my cup, or if the smell is normal for the water in the area, or if there was something wrong with the water that I was given- but the smell was gross. I ordered a fun blended cocktail called a Strawberry Shortcake and it was okay- it was too sweet for me but I should have realized it would be based on its description so that's my mistake. I had the fish and chips for dinner with sweet potato fries. The fish was not good! I've actually never had fish and chips that I didn't like before- even when I've got it from cheap fish n chips stands- but this fish had a bad taste to it when you bit into it and it was watery. The sweet potato fries were good and the dipping sauces were pretty good.

The atmosphere is great, the service was good, the menu is huge and has a lot of appealing-sounding items. But after being unimpressed with my water, my cocktail, and especially my entree it was hard to justify the big bill at the end. I honestly wouldn't return and I wouldn't recommend it- but I guess it's worth a try to see for yourself what you think of the food that you choose because it is a great location & atmosphere.

I'm not that picky and can't remember the last time I didn't enjoy my meal at a restaurant. My husband ordered something else and he thought it was just okay- not bad, not that good. It doesn't seem like they cook everything fresh.

• Visited March 2014
Hamilton, Canada
“Price-y but Tasty”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

The Bean Bar is a coffee house in trendy Westdale. It seems to be popular with the university students. The menu is pretty much upscale coffee shop. They have some interesting entrees as well as the usual sandwiches. All ok to very, but none really warrant the prices. The desserts are another story. While again pricey, they range from merely good to "to die for" --- and in this case both portion and quantity warrant the price. The coffee is also excellent. Service is lackadaisical, not quite bad, but more like they are not used to serving --- and indeed, it looks like there could well be a lot of moonlighting students on staff. The verdict: If I was in the neighborhood and needed a dessert fix and cuppa, I would definitely go here again. For an actual meal, I would go elsewhere because there IS better value for less elsewhere.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Gretchen49
Hamilton, Canada
“Good little restaurant in Westdale”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Good food great location, close to the Westdale Theater, trendy food all served beautifully with generally very good servers.
Have eaten there many times and will continue to go there, try it you will be pleased.

• Visited December 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Service ruined it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

We ordered a salad first followed by moules frites as a second course. Our second course arrived two bites into the salad. (We were told no matter what, the next course comes 7mins after the first course is prepared.) The waitress rolled her eyes when we said we were not ready for it, as they would get cold while we ate the salad. Half way through the salad they tried to bring the fries back again. We said we were still not ready as we wanted them with the mussels. When the salad was finished, our moules frites arrived dry and tepid at best with cold bread and soggy fries. We had to call the waitress over to tell her the food was cold and not up to par. She responded as if it was OUR fault for wanting two courses. We were made to feel like an inconvenience when we asked for it to be remade. When it finally arrived the waitress dropped the plates and ignored us. No quality check or anything else afterwards. The rest of our conversation over lunch was about how crappy the service was. (but thank you to the Chef for redoing the food!) Our glasses went empty and she did not revisit the table except to clear. I made eye contact with her twice and nothing! She sat at the bar and ate her lunch. I ask for a business card and was given a generic number for the restaurant. I told her I was looking for a manager or owner's contact information, but she couldn't give me anything specific. Apparently the assistant GM was there, as she mentioned this to us... but hopefully she was unaware of what was happening, as no one checked in to make sure everything was ok. I've never felt like such a nuisance and I've never ever been made to feel like becoming an advocate against dining at a certain establishment! I would highly recommend NOT dining here! There are dozens of places to eat good food where you feel welcomed.
Server: Natasha