“Favourite local restaurant”

Bean Bar
Ranked #4 of 25 Dessert in Hamilton
Cuisines: Canadian, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Caledonia, Canada
“Favourite local restaurant”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is my go-to restaurant for lunch during the work week and my 16 year old, vegetarian daughter's favourite restaurant anytime. Always fabulous food. I repeat, fabulous. Try the potato bread - to die for. The old cheddar and apple grilled cheese on multi-grain with bacon. Wonderful. Obviously run by foodies who love what they do. The owner(s) are often working the door and tables and always stop to chat. Service and atmosphere is quite casual and a bit bustling (noisy) but that is the intent. They don't bug you constantly but are friendly and cheerful. If you want a more stuffy, fine dining experience go somewhere else - this is more of a relaxed, friendly environment but for my money, you can't go wrong with the food. Mussels are a treat if in season.

• Visited October 2013

Binbrook, Ontario
“Always Fantastic Food”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The Bean Bar has become one of those places I can count on whenever I am in West Hamilton. Today, my mother and I grabbed an early dinner and were completely satisfied with our choices: the French Onion soup was cheesy and hot and my mom's grilled cheese sandwich was the same. I am always impressed with the creative menu choices offered by the Bean Bar and, the best part, their desserts! Many of the patrons coming in wandered to the cake displays to choose their desserts first! They only area I would suggest improving is service. Our waiter could have been more attentive and I would not recommend going to the Bean Bar if you're in a time crunch situation.

• Visited August 2013
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
“Food was "alright", but dessert was good”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The atmosphere and furnishings are definitely nice, and the waiters were quite friendly. The food wasn't as great as we expected, and the portion sizes were rather small. Service was very slow, despite only a few people dining in that night. I probably wouldn't come back if it wasn't for their broad selection of cakes, which were surprisingly delicious.

• Visited December 2012
Ancaster
“Disappointing Experience”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Went here for lunch with friend I had not seen for years, in March or April 2013 on a Saturday afternoon. The table we were seated at was too small to be comfortable. The service was friendly, but VERY slow. We felt the food was overpriced for what it was. Overall we were disappointed, which was too bad, because we had done a bit of research and could have gone to a number of other places in the vicinity -- which I have since been to and had much better experiences.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Exploreventure
Hamilton, Canada
“Nice atmosphere; food not worth it.”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We recently went to the Bean Bar for lunch. We hadn't been in a couple of years and remembered it fondly. Nice interior and welcoming staff did not make up for the food. While the To Die For sandwich was good, the Rustic Greek Salad was a complete rip off at $15. It was a small plate of rough chopped mostly green pepper, with two grape tomatoes, a few red onions and cucumbers and some feta. Doused in an inferior olive oil, it had practically no flavour. Very disappointing. I also ate mussels which were tasty but the size of baby clams. We will probably not go back.

• Visited July 2013