“Great food, great service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Papagayo
Ranked #248 of 1,213 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown Hamilton
Hamilton, Canada
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

We were a group of 8, most have never been to Papagayo before. The potato jalapeno soup was amazing. Creamy and a nice amount of heat. Food was timely and delicious! The seafood dishes in particular had great praise form our group. Will definitely return.

• Visited December 2012

Toronto, Canada
“yum is all i can say!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

very good mexican restaurant at a great price and friendly service location is very near the staybridge and i would def go for the burrito it was delish!!

Visited November 2012
Hamilton, Canada
“Good as I recalled”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We went for a preshow dinner and looked up reviews to see if it was still there and good. Some reviews were negative but we went anyway and are now glad that we did. Calamari, soup, house salad, fish of the day, chimichanga and even paella were all good. Sauces were also nice. Youngish server was attentive and knowledgeable and owner was floating about asking if things were OK. $40 each including bottle of wine and two beer. They were better than OK, nice Mehican food with french twist. Thumbs up again!

• Visited November 2012
Saint Thomas, Ontario, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I visited this restaurant two days ago before an event in Hamilton and I am still feeling the effects of it. I love mexican food but this was awful. We chose the restaurant because it got very good reviews but I'm not sure who was writing them because our experience was incredibly poor.
Firstly, the decor of this restaurant was DISGUSTING. There was paint peeling off the ceiling and everything was mismatched and outdated. We were told our wait time would be 10-15 minutes for a table but we ended up waiting for 45 minutes!!! Once we were seated (at a very tiny table that was situated right outside the very busy entrance to the kitchen) we were shocked at the prices on the menu. I ordered the enchiladas that arrived soggy with some unknown brown sauce on it. The re-fried beans were the most disgusting blackened looking things I had ever seen. Even my sangria was bad. Room temperature. The ice cubes melted immediately. The guacamole was nothing but mushed up avocado (no garlic or tomatoes). When we were leaving the restaurant, there was a tiny table set up in the lobby with two men eating at it! I commented and the servers said, "I don't think we're actually allowed to let anyone eat out here but the cook doesn't like to send anyone away".
I will NEVER EVER eat at this restaurant again and feel badly for anyone who does!!

• Visited October 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Excellent Mexican Food with Hints of Unique Touches”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was planning to go to Mex-I-Can for dinner, but they did not take credit cards, so I ended up going to Papagayo, and I am really glad I did. First some background ... I have been to "industrial" Mexico several times (Mex City, Queretaro, Monterrey), so I am familiar with authentic Mexican food.

First the decor was much more pleasant than the other place -- much cleaner, much more welcoming. The traditional chips + salsa were unique with what seemed like a dusting of chili powder and seasoning salt -- a really good combination. I added guacamole, which was average but good. The serving of guac was a bit on the small side, but not completely disappointing. The salsa was salsa verde, and I'm not a big fan of verde, but this was very good.

I then had the enchilada platter for dinner. The platter had 3 enchilidas plus rice and black beans. Rice and beans average to slightly above average. Enchilada were chicken, beef and chorizo with mole and verde across all 3 enchiladas -- just covering part of the enchilada -- not swimming in salsa. The enchiladas were quite tasty because of both the filling and salsas, although the chorizo sausage was not "great" -- tasted more like a hot dog than chorizo. But overall it was a good dish.

The price was not cheap, but after visiting other restaurants in the downtown Hamilton area, the prices typical for the area. The meal adding guacamole, the platter dinner, and a michelada with tecate totaled ~30

So after a brief visit to Mex-I-Can, I would definitely recommend Papagayo based on the atmosphere. I cannot comment on a food comparison, but Papagayo is going to be difficult to beat. So if you are looking for Mexican food in the Hamilton area, I would recommend Papagayo.

• Visited September 2012