“Excellent Mexican Food with Hints of Unique Touches”
Review of Papagayo

Papagayo
Ranked #144 of 1,330 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Hamilton
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was planning to go to Mex-I-Can for dinner, but they did not take credit cards, so I ended up going to Papagayo, and I am really glad I did. First some background ... I have been to "industrial" Mexico several times (Mex City, Queretaro, Monterrey), so I am familiar with authentic Mexican food.

First the decor was much more pleasant than the other place -- much cleaner, much more welcoming. The traditional chips + salsa were unique with what seemed like a dusting of chili powder and seasoning salt -- a really good combination. I added guacamole, which was average but good. The serving of guac was a bit on the small side, but not completely disappointing. The salsa was salsa verde, and I'm not a big fan of verde, but this was very good.

I then had the enchilada platter for dinner. The platter had 3 enchilidas plus rice and black beans. Rice and beans average to slightly above average. Enchilada were chicken, beef and chorizo with mole and verde across all 3 enchiladas -- just covering part of the enchilada -- not swimming in salsa. The enchiladas were quite tasty because of both the filling and salsas, although the chorizo sausage was not "great" -- tasted more like a hot dog than chorizo. But overall it was a good dish.

The price was not cheap, but after visiting other restaurants in the downtown Hamilton area, the prices typical for the area. The meal adding guacamole, the platter dinner, and a michelada with tecate totaled ~30

So after a brief visit to Mex-I-Can, I would definitely recommend Papagayo based on the atmosphere. I cannot comment on a food comparison, but Papagayo is going to be difficult to beat. So if you are looking for Mexican food in the Hamilton area, I would recommend Papagayo.

2  Thank cvg_day_cmh_triad

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We tried this place once but haven't bothered to go back. There were a lot of beans and the presentation was nice, but lacking in flavour. The guacamole was just okay. Mex-i-can on James North is a lot better.

1  Thank dnj_2013
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Great spot. Close to Copps and Hamilton Place. Fast service. Very cute decor. Feel like you are transported to Mexico. Very good Margaritas. I had the stuffed pepper. Really good.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

As a New Mexican living in Canada I am always looking for my "fix." Papagayo has great food and it is delicately flavored and delicious. This is a local favorite.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

We recently visited Papagayo for dinner..this was not our first time, but, it definately will be our LAST. Our visit started ,as in the past, pleasant, we were promptly seated, (we had reservations) and our server was very friendly. We were, however, seated in a very small table with limited space. We had to share a menu (?), and our server seemed very inexperienced as she did not know alot about the menu items. After waiting (longer than normal) we ordered drinks, which were not what we ordered, but accepted (no big deal). The complimentary chips were brought to the table evenutually (its usually as soon as we sit down, but again, no big deal). We were told about the special of the day (sort of), she left out what came with the lobster so we asked. "Mixed vegetables, beans and rice" the served replied. Ok, so we ordered the "special".
while we were waiting, we ordered a draft beer. The beer came warm, and so was the glass. when we asked if the beer could be placed in a cold glass, the server came back with the beer
in another glass but said that all the glasses in the cooler were not very cold and had mentioned
to the "chef" that the draft beer seemed warm when she was pouring it and she told us "he
shrudded and said nothing". Why did she serve it then and why did the chef let her serve it?? We ask for a cold bottle of beer to replace it. And then, our meal came...WHAT A JOKE!!!! I wish we would have taken a picture of our plates. The lobster was in very small amount of nickle size chunks in a sauce,and a little on the chewy side, 4 thin slices of zuccinni or some type of vegetable (so small and mushie we were unable to make out what it was) a very small amount of black beans and a very small amount of rice..less than a 1/4 cup of each , spread out so thin to make it look like it was covering the plate.( we thought maybe they ran out of rice and beans..lol.) I couldn't beleive my eyes, then we remember that the server didn't say how much the meal would cost..so we asked..."$25.00" (per plate) she replied. We nearly fell out of our chairs!!! Then she said, ' oh, wait, I'm not sure, I'll go check". She came back and said, "oh, sorry, it's only $20.00". We thought, only $20??? are you kidding me?? We understand that lobster is costly, but we barely got 1/2 the size of a tail and only half a serving of rice and beans and lest than a 1/4 serving of vegetables. When paying the bill, we stated that we were very disappointed and had better meals there in the past (we have gone many times, sometimes with parties of six or more) The response we received from the person (s) at the cash was "oh, really?" She didn't ask why, or if there was something she could do for us or if we wanted to speak to the manager/chef. We are very disappoint, as we truly enjoyed the meals at Papagayo in the past but after the poor meal and addittude we received.." NO GRACIAS"....ADIOS.

1  Thank TheresaC638