“A big disappointment!”

Ranked #137 of 1,291 Restaurants in Hamilton
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have heard a lot about this place on a local radio station but had never been. So, since it was a nice summer day we decided to head for the beach and have lunch there. If you haven’t been and plan to go, there are a few things you should know. Based on our experience there is no table service. You come in the front door, line up while you read the menu and place your order with the cashier. When you pay she gives you a receipt and a small piece of paper with a number on it. Hold on to that piece of paper. While doing so, go and stand in the waiting area for your order. If there are two of you eating, one should now go and scope out a table and hold onto it. This place is busy but I’m not sure why

There is a sign that says numbers will not be called in order. In other words, even if you are number 37, the holder of number 45 may get his/her order before you do. If this aggravates you, go and eat elsewhere – the staff here do not appear to care about this.

Be prepared to wait. And wait, for even the simplest of orders. A lady who was already waiting when I placed my order got her order just ahead of me. She had ordered a large plate of fries.

We ordered a cheeseburger, fish on a bun and two large lemonades. I got a choice of toppings for the burger but none for the fish on a bun.

As I stood waiting I noticed that someone at the front counter was setting out drinks. What happens is that they pour your drink as soon as the order is taken and let it stand on the counter until your entire order is ready. You are not permitted to take your drink before the order comes out of the kitchen. The end result is that a nice, cold lemonade sits out while the ice in it melts and turns it into a tasteless lukewarm glass of nothing.

Now for the food: 25 minutes after placing the order it arrives. I am offered tartar sauce for the fish on a bun, nothing more. Clutching my order, I make my way to our table, not quite fainting from hunger. But I shouldn’t feel too bad – there are people who came in before me who are still waiting for things like hot dogs and plates of fries.

The fish on a bun is made from a large minnow. The bun is dry and tasteless. The hamburger is not as good as I could make at home. And the drinks, as I mentioned, are watery. I throw half of mine away along with most of the bun.

Note: nothing extra comes with anything here. If you want fries, you have to order them separately.

There were 6 people working the front counter – two ladies taking orders, but only on one till, and 4 people handing out orders and filling drink orders. There appeared to be only three people in the kitchen and they appeared to gather together every few minutes for some sort of conference.

So here’s some advice for Hutch and Co.: (1) Put at least three more people in the kitchen with one of them dedicated to fries! (2) Keep some extra stuff on the grills at all times, you know, the stuff most people order – burgers, hot dogs, etc. (3) Pour the drinks when the order is done, so they are cold and tasty. (4) Hire somebody to clean the tables every now and then – the whole place has a very grubby vibe. (5) Tell the lady on the till to smile! C’mon, Honey, you’re making money hand over fist here for second rate food and third rate service.

As for us, we are not going back and don’t recommend the place at all.

2  Thank Gilbey

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Well if you the best best fish and chips you must go here!! We eat here at least twice a month and never get sick of it. I always ask for extra tartar and lemon and always get it. Also try the gravy it's pretty good. You can sit and eat inside and look out onto Lake Ontario as you eat or you can eat outside as well along the front and side.
They sell pop shop pop too.
I highly recommend trying this place!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

It's quite sad but after living in Hamilton for nearly 35 years I've just recently discovered Hutch's.
The fish and chips are excellent!
We've now been twice in two weeks and the service has been fast and courteous both times despite being extremely busy.
I would recommend this place to anyone.
The beach atmosphere helps make it all better. I love that I can eat outside and bring my dog along for a walk after eating.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Best fish and chips around but crazy busy on warm weekends. There are 2 locations in the City - both have the same great food but for atmosphere the best is the original on the Beach strip.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have been visiting this place for well over 50 yrs. The food is still wonderful but when we were there again the other day, everything was "as is" but it sure wouldn't hurt to clean up a bit better. I realize that they run a very busy business but perhaps one of the employees could be used for cleaning of tables, etc
It would be nice to have a high school student, etc, to be hired just for cleaning these tables. The pay would probably be the lowest but it certainly would add a lot to our comfort to have them there. Not to mention that many kids would love something like that for the summer.

I also realize that this building is right on the beach and a beautiful place to sit and relax which many of the patrons do but if it is a bit chilly or for other reasons, it would be nice to be able to sit in clean window seats at the back of the restaurant. However, it appears that not all of the customers will take the time to just dispose of their leftovers.

Maybe a little push or a funny but honest sign, could make people aware that other patrons use this restaurant to eat as well.

We will be back....with our own cleaning rags. (:-D)