“Still Amazing after 15 years!”
Review of Black Forest Inn

Black Forest Inn
Ranked #7 of 1,221 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: German, Austrian, European, Central European
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hamilton, Canada
“Still Amazing after 15 years!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went to the restaurant on a Saturday about 6:00 p.m. and noticed quite a number of people waiting for a table, however, since there was only two of us we were seated within 10 minutes. The restaurant has been well maintained with the original "German" decor still in tact. The prices really have not changed over the years, however, the food portions were much smaller and they needed to be. Years ago, one meal could feed two people. The Schnitzel entree's included German rye bread, soup or salad, and coffee. The waitress was a bit confused, but joked with us that she had a fifty-fifty chance of putting our correct meal in front of us. It looked like she may have been new. The food was hot and the same quality as the original owners prided themselves in. My husband ordered the Vienna Schnitzel with spaetzel and it was huge: he could not eat the whole meal. I ordered the Jaeger Schnitzel and unfortunately it was a little overpowered with the mushroom gravy, but, still was good. Their son and daughter-in-law manage the restaurant now. The hostess was hilarious and joked with us while we were being seated. The restaurant is not a place where you sit and chat with friends for hours. It is a place to go to eat and have a drink or two then leave. The only downfall is that they do not take reservations, but, there are seats in the front area to sit and not have to stand while you are waiting. You can also get a drink from the bar while you are waiting. I would definitely return to the restaurant.

Murrysville, PA
“If you find the ENTER door, do not use it!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

From previous good reviews and The Black Forest Inn’s appearance on “You Gotta Eat This,” I had high hopes for a meal at the Black Forest Inn. Unfortunately, it did not take long for my hopes to be dashed!

We arrived fairly early on a Friday evening, and were seated quickly. While the hostess and our server were polite and efficient, we did not get a welcoming feeling.

Our bread arrived quickly. It was served cold, and appeared to be from a supermarket bread loaf that was a few days too old. We ordered the house reisling. It was rated a 1 for sweetness, so I was not expecting it to be too sweet, but it was actually quite acidic, and could have been used as a base for salad dressing.

Our house salads arrived quickly. Plain iceberg lettuce, with shredded carrots in one section, and chopped cucumbers in another section, the housemade dressing tasted like bottled ranch dressing. I know that my lettuce was washed because there was a nice pool of water in the bottom of the bowl. (as a note, the menu says that the meals come with soup or salad – we were never offered a choice: the salads just appeared at our table.)

Our appetizer, German Potato Salad, came next. I am used to this being served warm, with nice chunks of bacon in it. This was served cold. The dressing had a faint vinegar taste, and the lone potatoes were overcooked and very mealy.

I ordered my favorite “JAEGER SCHNITZEL (Hunter Style): Tender Schnitzel served in a delicious Mushroom Sauce”, while my husband ordered “SCHNITZEL CORDON BLEU: Breaded Pork loin, stuffed with Black Forest Ham and Swiss Emmenthal Cheese”

My jaeger schnitzel was served at room temperature, and was extremely tough, and basically tasteless. The gravy was gelatinous, and the only taste came from some salt. The mushrooms had a tinny taste, like a can was opened, but they were left in it for storage. The spaetzel was greasy and also bland.

My husband’s schnitzel cordon bleu did have ham and cheese inside, but you would never have known that if you closed your eyes … it could have been any piece of shoe leather! His home fries were plain boiled potatoes cut into chunks and barely fried.

When we sat down, I was looking forward to a nice apple strudel. After the meal, I wasn’t willing to take a chance. We walked down the street to the Sheraton, and had a nice dessert and after-dinner drink at the bar!

4 Thank quiltgeek5
Hamilton, Canada
“great atmosphmer , food,”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

has a great atmosphmer the decor within, has been well known , go early and be prepared to wait, prices are reasonable and one of my familys favourite

1 Thank nomadz_2 u
Newcastle, Ontario
“A MAJOR Disappointment”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stopped-by for supper recently on our way home from a day trip in New York City, specifically because of the great review of the place when it was featured on THE FOOD CHANNEL's show, "You Gotta Eat Here"...

Well, turns out that the rye bread & the Hungarian goulash soup & salad were the highlight of the meal. The "Schnitzel Jaeger" was a disaster---mystery meat, unbreaded, & swimming in a limpid, tasteless gravy.

We were EXTREMELY disappointed, to say the least...

4 Thank Edouardo S
Toronto, Canada
“Good food in a bit of a "dive".”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Having a hankering for Germanic food I was directed here...it was a bit of a "dive"...not a place that I would bring my wife to, a place I would have loved in my student days in the 60's.

The food was Germanic/ Austrian/ Hungarian...I liked it...starting with a goulash and ending up with a Bavarian platter washed down with German and then Austrian draught beers.

The restaurant could do with a freshening up, but one cannot argue with the food....and inexpensive.

Visited May 2013