“Nice...but not worth the drive or the long wait.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Forest Inn

Black Forest Inn
Ranked #7 of 1,213 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: German, Austrian, European, Central European
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bolton, Canada
“Nice...but not worth the drive or the long wait.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Enticed by their showing on You Gotta Eat Here, our group made the drive to Hamilton to try the Black Forest Inn. Very crowded. 3 rooms. The first is a waiting area with tables. The second a narrow room of 'chalet' style booths, and third, a dining room with tables. We were told about an hour wait, which we expected. We sat in the crowded waiting area and had a drink or 2 or 3. Too bad this very plain area was just a group of long tables. It could have been transformed into a much more attractive lounge area. Maybe even a dining area. Any way, our 1 hr wait was extended and extended. Too bad the hostess couldn't have held open 1 table and waited for an adjacent table to come open and then join them together. I guess restaurant policy is, an empty table, even for a short time, is money wasted, and that comes first. Finally, after 2 hours we were seated. We quickly ordered and soon after, our meals arrived. The food was plentiful, but not especially tasty. If not for the squeeze of lemon or the sauce on the schnitzels, the food would have been bland. The $ value was above average, since the meals included vegetables and soup or salad, but there was nothing out of the ordinary to justify another visit. Unless I lived very close to Hamilton, came as a small party, or just wanted to wait and wait for dinner, I would not return. Sometimes too much publicity is not good. If I were a local or even a regular diner and was greeted by such long line ups, I would not return...and if I were a first timer and was greeted, as we were, by the long wait time, I would also not return.

Auf Wiedersehen, Black Forest Inn. Too bad we didn't get to know each other better....then again, maybe we did.

• Visited March 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Hamilton Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

The black forest Inn is a unique, family run German/Austrian restaurant in downtown Hamilton. The staff are extremely friendly, and almost everything on the menu is home-made (even the iced tea and salad dressing). The portions sizes surely won't disappoint... so come hungry. I had the black forest platter which included schnitzel, sausage, potatoes, sauerkraut and vegetables... followed by their famous apple strudel for dessert. Everything was absolutely fantastic... I highly recommend.

• Visited March 2013
Hamilton, Canada
“can't rest on your laurels anymore”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

the black forest used to be one of the best restauants in the city. well, it is nko longer. the restaurant has not had a facelift inb over 25 years and the food is going downhill. I have tried and been dissappointed 3 times now in the past 2 years,. I will not be returning. sad to see an icon go down into the dumps like this -

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Nell C
Hamilton, Canada
“Does not disappoint - fresh and consistent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

With two delicious visits under my belt, I can honestly say this place in awesome... but be prepared to wait, and wait, and wait! The first time I went was with two friends for my birthday. I googled some local restaurants and found this one and figured why not - looks different. It was.

They don't take reservations and we hit it up around 6pm on a Saturday night. We waited an hour and a half (which I hear is normal), but it was worth it. I had the potato salad (sooooooo good), chicken cordon blue and a lemon dessert. Dessert sucked, but the rest was so good, I completely forgot about the disappointing pastry. My other friend had the pork schnitzel (which I of course tried) and it was yummy. The other one had the soup of the day (delicious) and sausage with sauerkraut and she raved about it. They didn't really like their desserts either. Note: There was so much food that it made for a rocking good lunch the next day.

I went again a couple weeks later with my boyfriend and his parents. It was a Tuesday night at we got there around 5:30pm. We waited about 45 minutes for a table, but again, totally worth it. I couldn't resist and had the chicken cordon blue again (ya, it was that good). The others had schnitzel and sausages.

The food takes a bit of time to come out 1) because they are so busy and 2) cause everything is clearly prepared fresh to order, but you won't notice the time cause the bread and appetizers come out fast. The ambiance is fun (I hope they don't do any crazy updates - the time warp is a real selling feature of the place) and I love the german outfits the servers sport.

Oh, I forgot to mention the value. Very reasonable. It cost abuot $75 when I went with my two friends and we each had an appetizer, full main, dessert and non-alcoholic drinks. The second visit was around $90, but there were 4 of us and two had german beer - none of us had dessert.

One time I am going to try the rindrouladen... I bet it rocks.

• Visited February 2013
London, Canada
“Wonderly Unique Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Black Forest Inn, is an unique experience in the heart of downtown Hamilton Ontario . As you enter the restaurant you are transported to an Austrian ski chalet and greeted by waitress dressed in dirndl. Boosting a wide selection of German and Austrian fare; the place is known for it many different ways they prepare schnitzel. I order the small Hungarian goulash which came with your choice of soup or salad and choice of potato or Spaetzle, I choose the meat ball soup which was a little disappointing as it was nothing more then a instant soup with a big meatball. Yet the goulash and Spaetzle made up for their taste.The service was good and the food came very quickly.

All in all, the Black Forest Inn is fun and kitchy place with great food. They do not make restaurants like this anymore. Check it out!

• Visited February 2013