“stay away”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 20, 2011

have been waiting for the table for half an hour. But it's not the problem. Food is sooo bad you wouldn't believe. Shnitzel is tastless like a paper ( and thin like a paper too). Plate is full of ugly looking potatos ( supposed to be home fried), overcooked vegetables covered by the tastless gravy. The whole plate looks like a mess. Never again. We invited our friends to this restaurant and feel like a fool.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Did you know that "schnitzel" doesn't typically necessarily come breaded and fried? In fact, only the Vienna and Cordon Bleu schnitzels at this restaurant are. Some of the facts you could learn when dining at the Black Forest Inn.

The food was delicious - though I found the Schnitzel Pusta a tad salty, with tartar sauce AND pickled peppers, for my liking. The service was wonderful, Bavarian beer on tap delicious and the ambience authentic, if a little dated.

All in all, a very pleasant dinner experience.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

I ate at the Black Forest in as a recommendation of AAA on my way back from Niagara Falls to Toronto. The restaurant is an obvious favorite of the locals as there was a bit of a wait. After being seated my order was taken (no hello, welcome, anything like that) my food brought out, check delivered, end of story. No conversation to me (my waitress was chatting it up with the other patrons however) or to check on how my meal was. Not to mention I never got a refill on my drink. However, the food was very good and filling after a long day trekking around Niagara Falls and Hamilton. But, I won't be going back to a place where I don't feel welcome.

1  Thank MCOsting
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The first time I've ever gone to this restaurant was way back in the 70's. The food and atmosphere was great. Years later Nov. 2010, I went with my fiance after a show at the Marquis. The waiter was very helpful in our desision making from the menu. The food was terrific, the prices were fair. The workers would talk to us as if we knew them for years.

The next time I went, was with my fiance & future in-laws. We all went to a show at the Marquis...followed by dinner at the Inn. Again the same thing happened, it was very enjoyable. I can't wait to go back again.

Reviewed July 14, 2011

We have been going to the Black Forest for years, (it is where the grown-ups went for a fancy night out when I was a kid). My husband and I took his parents for their anniversary and it was great as always.
My absolute favourite item is Russian Eggs. This is a green mixed salad with vinegrette, a healthy dollop of German potato salad, wedges of hard boiled egg, topped with mayo, smoked salmon and caviar. My husband an I always split one as our appetizer.
There isn't a looser on the menu, the sausage, the schnitzel, it is all so good.
I quite like the non-franchise look of the place. German folk-art painted booths and a "Specials" sign washed so many times that it has a bald spot. Our servers have always been chatty and kind, including this time.
It is true that downtown Hamilton can be a bit dodgy, but I always go with my husband or some friends and feel safe.