“Thank you!”

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Amherst, Canada
“Thank you!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Beautiful location! Grounds well groomed. Staff were helpful and friendly. Rooms were spotless and comfortable. Thoroughly enjoyed our weekend at this establishment. My only suggestion would be to have benches or lawn chairs on the property for relaxing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2012

First, I have to tell you that I'm a very loyal customer of the Marriott chain of hotels, to the extent that my family has bought their Vacation Club points last year, because we really enjoy staying at their hotels and resorts. Whenever I need to book a stay at any place, I'll only look it up from the Marriott website. I'm such a big fan like that. That's why my opinions about their properties could be biased, but if there is any bad comments heard from me, there must be something really wrong.

My family and I need to stay in the Hamilton area for a Friday night, so I checked the Marriott website and found out that it only need to redeem 10,000 points of Marriott Reward points for one night's stay. That's good value compare to paying for the stay in money. We go ahead and book it. Arrived in the afternoon of Friday, check-in was quick. I asked for high floor. They gave me high floor. Everything was smooth so far. We put our stuff in our room and quite surprised to find out that there is no safe inside the room, but it didn't bother us, and we went out immediately to visit the Royal Botanical Garden which was a 10 mins drive away, and we had dinner on Upper James Street which had a lot of choices of restaurants for us to choose, very convenient.

We returned to the hotel room after dinner. There were a few bottle water we brought with us, so we put them into the mini fridge inside our room. After doing that, we noticed there was a very disgusting smell in our room. That smell didn't exist when we checked into our room. Then we all got showered and got ready to sleep and my son got a bottled water out from the fridge, and there came the smell again! We believed there's someone who put something into the fridge but it gone bad. Anyway, that's a bit too late for us to change into another room, so we just told ourselves not to open that fridge again!

After turning off all the lights, I still found it very bright. It's because there was a BIG gap between the door and the frame! The biggest I have ever seen. That's not the worst problem yet. The mattress I slept on is the WORST I have ever used. Did I tell you I'm a big fan of the Marriott chain? It's because they have got very comfortable mattress compare to others. Not this one however. Whenever I move, even the slightest movement, I can feel the mattress is going to fall apart. And that was not the worst yet!

Whenever I set the thermostat, I like to set it around 73F because that usually is the most comfortable for me. When I set that temperature during my stay, the cold/heat came on nonstop! What I meant was the cold air came on for a long time until it's very cold and then suddenly it change itself into heat, and when it's toasty hot it changed into cold air again. It's just like that throughout the night. I really don't know what happened to their system. What I know for sure is I don't get my sleep at all.

Last but not least, I'm a person who is allergic to dust mite, I can tell if a place is real clean or not. Unfortunately, here is not!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank travelalotwithfamily
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I spent an entire week at the Courtyard in Hamilton and couldn't have been happier with my stay. This is a newer hotel in a suburban setting. Parking is free and there are several restaurants within a few blocks of the hotel. The rooms are clean and modern and the service was always friendly. The channel selection on tv is substantial and the free internet was fast and reliable 24 hours per day. Each room has a refrigerator which is a nice feature. This hotel has an indoor pool and a small fitness center ( I wasn't thrilled about the fitness center, but I managed). I noticed there was a bar in the lobby and a restaurant area, but I did not visit these during my stay. This is a great choice for a mid priced hotel and was happy that there weren't any unexpected charges for the extras. Thanks for a great stay, I will return the next time I'm in town.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Hamilton, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
wes74,

It’s nice to hear from you on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your compliments about our clean rooms, friendly staff, and hotel amenities. We are delighted that you stayed with us for a week and were pleased with your stay. We invite you to stay with us again the next time you’re in Hamilton.

Yours truly,
Brunswick, Maine
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We had but a short stay, unfortunately. Access from the major highway is convenient, good parking. Check in prompt, courteous from an affable staff. The room was of great order and quite comfortable.
A few restaurants are withing walking distance, the chop house we attended was quite acceptable.
Breakfast is convenient and friendly.
A sort stay, yes. It has been 19 years since I have been in Canada yet I would stay here again without question. The staff is highly trained and professional.
Excellent job Marriott Hamilton.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Keydet72
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel now 4 times while in Hamilton and each trip has been a pleasure. Excellent rooms and the staff are very pleasant and helpful. While not in the downtown area there are plenty of good restaurants in walking distance and the area is quiet.

Room Tip: I have stayed here several times. Every room was excellent.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Byron W
, Manager at Courtyard Hamilton, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Repeat customers are one of the best compliments a hotel can receive! Byron W we’re so glad you found our staff helpful and our location pleasing. Thank you for coming back to stay with us in June. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to your next visit.

Regards, Andrew Holmes, General Manager
Reviewed July 1, 2012

-rooms are great, very clean, relatively new and well appointed
-location is good on busy upper James st.
-the staff could try to be a bit nicer to guests, they seem a bit careless and never in the mood to be helpful

Overall 4/5

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank 3points
, Manager at Courtyard Hamilton, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
3points,
Thank you for your review of your stay. I am pleased that you found your room to be enjoyable. However, I would like to offer my apologies for the service you experienced as it does not meet the high standards of Marriott . Please know that we value and take all feedback very seriously as it helps us reach our goal of delivering exceptional service. I will be addressing these matters with my team during our weekly meeting. I look forward to your return visit with us so you can experience the true level of service and accommodations the Courtyard has to offer.

Best Regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2012

If you are going to be in Hamilton overnight, i highly recommend the Courtyard by Marriot on Upper James. As soon as you enter your room, you will appreciate the cleanliness and modern furniture, unbelievably comfortable bed, the rooms have all been designed with the comfort of the guest in mind, there are outlets everywhere to charge your phones,laptops, the rooms are well lit and the maid service was excellent. I found the staff extremely helpful and professional. The location is outstanding right next to the linc, and is minutes away from all kinds of shopping and restaurants. The gym on the first floor is above adequate and is open 24 hours a day which is nice too, overall I think it would be difficult to find better accomodations then this in Hamilton.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jimmyrozner
, Manager at Courtyard Hamilton, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
jimmyrozner,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We greatly appreciate your patronage and takeing the time to share your comments. We look forward to being of service the next time you are in the area!
Your truly,