“Friendly staff, comfortable beds”
Review of Courtyard Hamilton

Courtyard Hamilton
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Toronto Ontario
“Friendly staff, comfortable beds”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at the Courtyard for a family wedding. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. It had a view of the hotel's Japanese style garden coutyard, which was beautiful with walkways and a bridge; so unexpected when you see this hotel from the road.

The front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful when we checked in. The lobby area is very nicely laid out with various sitting areas and a small restaurant.

In the morning the restuarant was full with all of our friends and family who stayed for the wedding. I'm sure it was confusing for the servers to keep track of who belonged at each table since everyone was moving around and visiting, but even so the servers and other staff were all pleasant and accomodating.

I would definately recommend this hotel to personal or business travellers.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
embrun ontario canada
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed 2 nights and were pleased with the accommodations and the service.
We would have appreciated a complementary breakfast. We shall return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I am compelled to write my review of this hotel, as I use Trip Advisor to review the write-ups from travelers on cleanliness and overall satisfaction before I make hotel arrangements. We travel quite frequently with my son and daughter's sports teams.

This hotel presented as clean and the staff at check-in were satisfactory. Our team was socializing in the hallway that evening and noticed movement at the end of the hallway. Our videographer on the team decided to place his camera and videotape the mice, which traveled from room to room over a period of a couple of hours. I did not witness as I was asleep in my room, but was shown the video....which was extremely disturbing!!!!

I contacted the hotel on various...yes various occasions. The manager refused to return my call. I received a message from the Marriott Corporate office to state that "it was obvious that the mice were pet mice and that we, as a team, placed them there???!!!!! This was extremely insulting!! They obviously have no intention of correcting the problem.

My reasons for this review......PLEASE do not stay here. The best and only response would be to have corrective measures in place to rid themselves of these rodents. I travel for business very frequently and couldn't believe the response from Marriott! Customer service and cleanliness of their hotels is not their priority.

Stay tuned... plan on posting the video on You Tube entitled Marriott Mice...see for yourself the "pet mice".....

Signed....a Former Marriott customer....

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank manddball
Oshawa
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Stayed over the Father's Day weekend to attend the Hamilton Air Show. Check in was a breeze. Had asked for a lower floor because my husband smokes, and ended up with a "courtyard room". View was wonderful, with the ability to just step outside and sit out at the umbrella'ed tables available. I would have no issues with staying here again. If you ask for a courtyard room, you are away from the elevators and banquet hall area on the other side of the hotel.

con: do a "sound" check on your bed when you get to your room, one of the beds needed a new box spring and was very creaky even to just roll over on the bed. I did tell the front desk and was given the opportunity to move to a new room, I didn't feel like packing up again. They did make a note of my complaint and I don't hold the staff to blame in case no one has actually said anything earlier.

My son and I ordered the full breakfast buffet - the food was fine, the egg station cooked my order to perfection. The table staff, on the other hand were inattentive and forgetful. One waitress was more interested in gabbing with another table, then noticing incoming patrons. The waiter who took our drink order brought me the wrong juice and forgot to bring any milk for my tea.

Even the best hotels can have "hiccups" in service, and I am looking forward to next year's airshow and will book here again

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thunder Bay
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights on business and I really couldn't be happier... The property was very nice... A small clean pool/hot tub area, nice relaxing little courtyard and an adequate gym (1 elyptical, 2 treadmills and some weights) were appreciated... Free wireless was also a plus...

I did not see a free continental breakfast though - seemed to be an A-la-carte place (we did not eat breakfast at the hotel).

The room (two queens) was very nice - comfortable, new, clean and quiet. Nice big flatscreen tv, comfy beds with lots of pillows and nice bedding. Clean and spacious bathroom.

Check in/out was a breeze, even when we asked for a late checkout, it wasn't an issue... This hotel is at the top of the escarpment, close to multiple restaurants within walking distance (The Keg, Turtle Jacks, Hooters etc) and a short drive to the big mall.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2011

I stayed at this hotel on the recommendation of the Around The Bay race coordinators. My initial disappointment came when I was told that a late check-out was not possible. Every other hotel recommended by the race organizers offered a late check-out...at no charge. When I inquired at the front desk about a late check-out I was told that "there are too many people requesting a late check-out", so they were not offering it to anyone. If the majority of the hotel occupants are staying for the same reason...why wouldn't this hotel try to accommodate them?

My other negative experience is the noise!!! My party was in Hamilton to run a race...no one in our party was able to have a decent sleep due to the kids running the hallways until all hours. I told the kids to stop running a couple of times...one time when I opened my door...well after 11pm...the running children were accompanied by an inconsiderate adult.

I have made a formal complaint to hotel management. I do not expect any advisement based on the other negative reviews here. Stay elsewhere!

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank upsetter36
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Hamilton, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel upsetter36; please accept my apologies for the inconvenience with the checkout time during your stay, and for the trouble you experienced with the inconsiderate guests making noise late at night. I regret that you didn’t enjoy your stay, but do hope you and your party did well in the race.

Best regards,

Andrew Holmes, General Manager
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2011

I stayed at this property for one relatively short night. It's a good hotel - I found it comfortable and quiet, but the location leaves a little to be desired.

The property itself is very nice, and fairly standard for all new Marriott Courtyard's. It has everything you'd expect from the brand including free internet stations and a small gym/pool area. I would also feel comfortable in saying that hotel actually has nicer rooms than most of the Courtyard's I've stayed in before. I found the room spacious and clean, with a large bathroom.

Everything is standard in the rooms - a comfortable bed, desk, sitting area. Internet was free, which is always appreciated. I had an adjoining room and don't remember hearing a lot of noise coming from the other side.

The one potential problem with the hotel is it's location. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere. There are a few surrounding restaurants and shops, but not much else. It is not convenient to downtown Hamilton. I'm not really sure why people stay here, but I suppose if it's the area you are looking for than this hotel is a good fit.

The airport is also fairly close.

All in all, a good night's sleep was had here. It's a bit of an odd place to put a hotel but there must have been some reason for it being built within the past few years. If you're not intent on staying downtown, I would say this is a nice alternative.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business