“First of many visits”

Burnt Tongue
Ranked #17 of 1,276 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Soups
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I finally make it to the Burnt Tongue for take-out lunch and I will certainly return.

I had the parsnip/pear soup and salad of the day (cucumber in spicy vinagrette with mint, cilantro, and greek yogurt).

The soup was silky, full of flavour, and delicious. Soups come with one of three sides: roll, carrots/celery sticks or an apple.

The salad was excellent with one caveat: too much heat from the chili peppers! A little heat would have gone a long way but instead I found myself having to eat a bowl of yogurt for dessert to soothe my mouth afterward.

The place is small and it was jam-packed with folks dining in and taking out. The wait was around 20 minutes from the time I entered until I left with meal in hand.

All for $10 and change.

I"ll be back.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Had lunch today for the first time at the Burnt Tongue. No burned tongues here, but the soups were hot and delicious. Had the split pea soup and grilled cheese sandwich. Yummy. A busy spot with customers in and out for take out and eat in. Would definitely return. The kitchen staff was friendly and informative! YEAH!!!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Yesterday (20140211) I went to Burnt Tonque for the first time. They had 5 kinds of soup and it was really hard to choose. My friend and I had just been for an hour and a half hike in the RBG and were looking forward to woup. It was so hard to choose. I had a large carrot soup with pumpkin seeds - wow was it good. My friend had a burger and a small swiss chard soup. Also great. Today another friend and I went for lunch. It was so hard to choose from the six soups that i opted to have two smalls( one cost $4, one cost $6), I ate the wonderful slightly spicy tomato dahl first, the small was so filling that I decided to take the chicken lentil bacon home. My frien had a butternut squash pear soup and a burger, If you order the soup you get to choose a bun or an apple or carrot & celery sticks. The bun is big and comes from a local bakery. Burgers start a $4 and both friends said they were really good. You know the ingredients are fresh because there are bushel baskets of fresh veg on the way to the WC which is really funky - loved the orange sink.
So what is not to love. you can get a really healthy lunch for a little over $4 with tax, But please leave a tip - another buck doesnèt kill the budget.

1  Thank Dawn S
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Very best tasting soup EVER! Burgers are also very tasty, local ingredients is a plus. Very small space, seating is limited, take out is an option. Definitely will return!

Reviewed January 15, 2014

It's a small place, can look crowded when you walk in. Don't walk out! Seats open fast.....Now for the food, it's all great! 5-6 different soups every day. Anything with spicy sausage is fantastic. Burgers and fries are best in the city......owners are great and forthcoming with recipies and where they source food.