“Not bad, but not the same”
Review of Mother's Pizza

Mother's Pizza
Reserve with OpenTable
Mother's Pizza is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #323 of 1,234 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Hamilton, Canada
“Not bad, but not the same”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

In the spirit of full disclosure, I went to high school across the street from one of the original Mother's Pizza restaurants. We had family dinners there, and in fact, I had my first real grown-up date there. I drive by the old location all the time and have always had fond memories, so I was thrilled when I saw the old Ponderosa/Red Lobster/Tony Romas re-open as Mother's.

We've waited a few months to try it out, and on Friday, we went. The restaurant is basically Tony Romas with checkered seats on the booths...There is very little of the Mother's pizza character, and the service was pretty lame...our server wasn't bad, but she wasn't on top of her game, that's for sure. The pizza was good enough, and the prices weren't bad...It cost less for the family to eat there than at Montanas or Kelseys or one of those types of places, but they need to work out some service issues.

I guess the moral of this story is that you just can't go back. I think for people like my kids, who don't have years of memories from the original, the restaurant was good enough. My advice is to leave your memories at home, and forget about your emotional attachment to the original and just eat pizza. If you can handle that, then the pizza is pretty good. If you're hoping for more, you'll be disappointed.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Sean S

Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not a destination sadly. Sometimes memories are better than trying to re invent them...”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just because you got the receipt don't mean you an run a business.
Pizza was good despite getting topping requests wrong (staff issue).
Draw of the pizza won't make up for the overall poor experience & totally missing the mark on the atmosphere of dining in. (management issue)
Too many management rookie mistakes. Painful to watch when so many great consistent alternatives are around them. Its nauseating to see good money invested only to be wasted on poor management.
Very slow service over all. yet lots of staff in clusters.
No wait for seats at 7 pm Saturday??
Server not well trained... too many mistakes.
Strange policies.
At this rate, full seats today = empty tomorrow. I give them 15- 18 months of life, in this condition before bankruptcy, partner fallout or take over.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Megatraveler A
“Not the same”
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Definitely not the same as it was in the past. The pizza was just ok and very pricey. I dont think i will ever have a craving to go back there. Ive had better pizza from the little shop around the corner. I was really hoping it was going to be as good as i remembered. Im sorry to say I was disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank channa69
“Should've let Mother's stay in the past!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The food was very average, and the manager blamed my taste buds for finding the food poor.. Wish they would've left Mother's pizza where it was, in the past!! It wrecked every good memory I had of Mother's!...

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank TheHappyHitter
Hamilton, Canada
“Okay but Needs Improvement”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We came here during the week with my in-laws to celebrate their anniversary and my birthday. We were seated promptly in a large booth that comfortably sat the six of us (including one child). However, when the booth next to us was filled it became too congested. The decor is a blend of the old and the new. It does seem a little drab...but so was the old one, part of the charm.

Our server was really attentive and friendly. The food did take a bit between courses, but we just chatted and enjoyed each other's company.

The drink situation is odd. We thought that it would be easier to get a pitcher of pop for the table. But you have to pay for those refills. So, it's cheaper to each get a separate glass with the free refills. Weird.

We ordered the family style Caesar salad, which was great! The wings were tasty as well. As for the pizza, we had two and they were okay. One was bacon and pepperoni and the other was pepperoni, mushroom and green pepper. The middle seemed a little soggy so next time I would ask for it well done. The flavour was just a little better than some of the generic chains. They really need to work on the recipe to set themselves apart from the chain competition if they want to survive. I'm glad that they still had the pizza stands...loved that as a kid.

Overall, the food was not mind blowing. It is a nice place to take your family for a simple meal. Most of us are expecting nostalgia from the old Mother's where we all had fond memories, but unfortunately it doesn't hit it...yet.

Visited August 2013