“Beautiful location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sarcoa

Sarcoa
Ranked #236 of 1,219 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Canadian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Welcome to Sarcoa, Hamilton's premiere waterfront dining experience and events centre. Using fresh local ingredients, our chef's make everything possible in-house. Our goal is to provide you with gourmet comfort food in a warm, contemporary setting. Our 350 seat Waterfront Patio is the jewel of Hamilton. This year on the Waterfront Patio, we no longer be utilize an outdoor kitchen with a separate menu. Instead, the area behind the outdoor stage is now a self-service lounge area. This lounge space is for enjoying drinks and waterfront views. We kindly ask you grab your own drinks at the outdoor bar, and take them back to enjoy the lounge. If you are interested in joining us for lunch or dinner, you will need to make a reservation in advance, and will then be seated in a designated area with service: the interior of Sarcoa, Sarcoa's Upper Patio, or at a glass table in front of the patio stage. We understand the concept of our patio is a little different; however, because our chefs strive to serve the highest quality of freshly made menu items, in doing so, we must compromise with the ability to only serve a limited amount of guests at one time at a slightly slower pace. We kindly ask for your cooperation and understanding in regards to the way we orchestrate our patio. Our goal is to give you and your family and friends a relaxed atmosphere to enjoy well-crafted food on the best patio in Hamilton. We hope to see you out there soon! Cheers, Management
scottsdale
“Beautiful location”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Went to Sarcoa with friends on a breezy evening but warm and clear..
Service was attentive..felt the menu to be a bit limited
Glass of 5 ounce wine 13.00 9 ounce 19.00 a bit pricey for my liking and these were their wines (white)
Appetizers were delicious hot,,presentation lovely
Dinner was the Special (Pasta Dish) Excellent hot, very fresh
no bread,, no cheese,,pepper served by waiter
no extras
desert again was excellent
The food excellent,,wonderful relaxing view,,would l go back Too pricey for a girls night out!!

Erin, Canada
“It's All About the Waterside Patio”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

It was a perfect hot breezy evening so the outside seating on the spacious patio that is nestled in the Hamilton Harbour was perfect -- sipping a wine spritzer while sailboats glided by. I had been warned that it was pricey - and it was. I had also been warned that the less expensive patio menu was only available in the outside seating that surrounds the outside bar (invisible boundary), and it was true. I was miffed at that - seems rediculous and off putting. However we decided to stay put in our somewhat shaded spot and ordered entrees. There are only about 6 or 7 entrees from which to pick. I almost ditched the main course for a salad with chicken but decided to embrace the experience. I ordered the (3) plump scallops that came sitting upon a grilled chorizo sausage cut lengthwise. A few cornbread croutons and tomato puree adorned the plate. It was absolutely delicious but I was missing some greens for veggies and for $27, it warranted some.

I had a 9 oz wine spritzer, scallops and coffee and my bill before tip was $52. I was not impressed with the interior (beautiful but cold and unwelcoming) but sitting bayside eating delicious food somehow makes it all worthwhile. We lucked out with the weather and had an enjoyable visit. Am I in a rush to go back? Not so much - or at least not until next summer.

Hamilton, Canada
“$1.00 Charge for Parmesan Cheese Really!!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Enjoyed a fantastic meal tonight! Potentially the last hot night of the year! beautiful sunset great service! One of our dishes was the pasta special excellent! I requested cheese ! I received a shot glass size container for my $23.00 pasta special only to find I was charged a dollar for the cheese!
Our server was embarrassed and explained she had to charge!
Pepper lovers beware fresh ground will be the next chargeable!!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Markos_11
Toronto
“Decaf coffee not....”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

It is now 2:15 am and I am awake, thanks to the decaf coffee that was regular or I would be asleep, should call the waiter see if he is awake..
This was our first visit and possibly only visit to this restaurant that overlooks the bay at the bottom of James St.
The menu is limited so expected better food and service. The shrimp appetizer had a distinct fishy smell and both myself and my dining companion thought we were eating something other than shrimp. His Caesar salad was just ok. No bread of any kind was served. For the main course we chose the special pasta and the scallops. The scallops though properly cooked, came with a very spicy large portion of chorizo that did nothing to complement the scallops, the corn bread awful. The pasta was just ok. We finished our dinner with the homemade ice cream a mix of 3 flavours, but only 2 had any taste and what should have been decaf coffee.
All in found the restaurant to be lacking any style. Surprised to see no gas heaters on the massive outside patio. The chairs were uncomfortable and we didn`t linger.
The view is nice, pending your seating, and it was nice to see all the positive changes to the harbour front. But the food and level of service is not not worth a repeat visit especially for the price.

1 Thank calexand
Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
“Diamond In The Rough”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was a 'ladies do lunch' affair for five of us. I knew the location from previous visits to Pier 4 Park, before Sarcoa was opened.

Once inside the restaurant it's hard to believe you're in Hamilton/Steeltown. Driving to the restaurant via York Blvd, you still have to pass through downtown Hamilton which has that down at the heels and gritty feeling, inspite of all the efforts to spruce up various areas.

You have to admire the creativity and efforts put forth to make Hamilton a tourist destination. You just have to close your eyes to some of the not so pretty sights....or just call it part of Hamilton's charm.

The main reason for choosing Sarcoa was because they were one of the sponsors when Oprah came to Copps Coliseum back in April 2013. So we simply had to check it out. Two of our group had already eaten at Sarco previously and raved about the food and location...so off we went.

Having checked out the menu beforehand (it's not expansive but I did expect quality and freshness) on line I went for the Berbere Chicken Salad. The website is well set up and definitely sets the tone for what you encounter upon arrival. Others in our party ordered Belly Pork & Sea Scallops and Pizza Margherita. Our drink order came promptly.

My impression of the food I ordered was not overly impressive. The chicken salad uses iceberg lettuce, which by nature is pretty tasteless. For the prices being charged at Sarcoa I would have expected some organic arugala or spinach or torn greens. The chicken was edible but nothing exciting.

My dining companions were very pleased with their choices. I didn't make my opinions known to them at the time.

The view overlooking the Harbourfront/Hamilton Bay on the southern shores of Lake Ontario was very pretty. This was August, so the vista was in full summer splendour. The little train that transports visitors around the area is cute.

After coffee and dessert ( I didn't have dessert) we headed outside to the patio area where we ordered drinks from the outdoor bar. The seating areas have been well thought out with sizeable cabanas along one side leading down to the Bay.

The waiter was very affable and just the right amount of warmth and professionalism. I found the over familiarity of the waitress who served us inside the restaurant off-putting to say the least. Calling your customer 'sweetie' doesn't add to the experience, although I'm sure some customers would not object.

One very strange situation arose when one of our party requested a bread basket. We were told Executive Chef Wes Lesco, a veteran of many kitchens, including Spencers, the Cambridge Mill, Splendido and Vineland Estates would not work at an establishment where bread is served. He wants his food to be the focus of attention. Fair enough...but what about the customer's requirements??? So no bread was delivered to the table. Unbelievable.

All in all I probably will not return to Sarcoa, unless I hear by word of mouth the standard of the food has improved substantially. I would perhaps mention it to friends but warn them to be very particular about what they order.

With more training and a little finesse I believe Sarcoa can make a name for itself. It's just not there yet.

• Visited August 2013