“history actually did come to life this time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dundurn Castle

Dundurn Castle
Ranked #2 of 148 things to do in Hamilton
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience a guided tour of this 40-room Italianate-style villa built in the 1830's on Burlington Heights; the former site of a fortified military encampment established by the British in 1813.
“history actually did come to life this time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have lived in Hamilton since I was 8 and presently in Toronto for the past 7 years, only now have I EVER for the first time visited the Dundurn Castle.

The visit was beyond educational and enriching on a part of history that I had never really known. I am not the biggest history / museum fan as it were but was more than satisfied with my visit.

The castle is filled with beautiful artifacts, yes. The history in every item of the old upper class way of living present, yes.

That is all great if that is all you are looking for, however what made the tour and whole experience make it worth my time to write this review was my AMAZING tour guide "Lady Bridgette" Brydie, her real name I believe.

She literally sold it for me, not only was she clearly well educated on what she was explaining / talking about (her job obviously to know the facts) but the way she made the experience personal and relatable with a bit of delightfully amusing jokes here and there.

Literally made history come to life and not so mundane. HIGHLY recommend her as your tour guide. Although I may be biased to the fact that she made me laugh and enjoy something that was supposed to be educational. :)

• Arabic first
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Downton abbey in Hamilton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

A wonderful historic day. With lady Bridget as our tour guide we learned a great deal and were kept entertained at every turn. Her ability to relate historical information to modern day left everyone with a true understanding of what it was like to live or work at dundurn castle. A real Hamilton gem!

Simcoe, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Beautiful Castle and grounds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was our second trip to Dundurn Castle and we enjoyed it just as much the second time around. Very informative; a great look into how people lived in years past. The gift shop has a good variety of things (books, trinkets and period toys) not available elsewhere.

Visited July 2012
Brampton, Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Dundurn Castle is very lovely and historic. Lots to see and experience and learn.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

I especially the cannon and love to take pictures of this castle and it's arts and crafts. Amazing talent and history behind this lovely castle. Another must see places, atleast once when you are in the Hamilton area.

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A great place to spend the day viewing historical areas.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I went to Dundern Castle grounds. I did check out various buildings on grounds and 1812 historical sights.
I did not have time to take tour of Dundern Castle because I was short on time but I did take tour of small war museum on ground covering periods to WW 1. The staff was very helpfull.
I plan on returning to Hamilton in future and taking Dundern Castle tour.

Visited July 2012