“Fun, funky vibe”

Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Jack and Lois is a small restaurant in the arty James St. N. area. The front opens completely up in the summer and it's a great place for people watching They offer an all day breakfast as well as various sandwiches and burgers. The portions are large and all sandwiches are served on quality bread or buns. They have a rotating number of local beers and wines available and a full bar. We started with stuffed angels which are deep fried black bean egg rolls served with a spicy tomato sauce.....delicious! I had the veal sandwich which came with soup and their Asian inspired coleslaw. The veal was well cooked and the sauce was well flavoured. It was more than I could eat and at $13.00, a real bargain. If you bring in some vinyl, they will play it for you as you dine. They have a large patio in the back which we saw but wasn't going to open until the next day. Lots of vegetarian choices as well. Draught beers are only $6 for a 1/2 lt, glass.

1  Thank Sarah C

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I came into jack n lois one night as I was looking for a late night place to eat with a girlfriend of mine. The whole front of the restaurant opens up which is so neat and that's what caught my eye. The waitress informed us some nights they are open til 3am!

The food was sooooo good!! I cant remember what it was called that I had cause I just ate what the server recommended but it had peameal and like 3 eggs, and avocado and this delicious sauce oh man was SOOOO Good!!!!! If anyone is looking for late night snack (haha I use the term snack loosely) then check out this place!

1  Thank JessS717
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I had such great buzz about this place and so was shocked at how unremarkable and/or bad the food was.

I was expecting an interesting menu and instead saw a whole bunch of burgers and grilled cheese with absolutely nothing to get excited about. Unless you consider peameal bacon innovative. It was a diner menu.

This would be fine if things had been done well, but oh no, they were not. The 'Thai veg' soup was bath water with some heat. The slaw was undressed and boring, boring boring. The grilled cheese I ordered was decent but no better than any greasy spoon.

Service was good.

Perhaps I expected too much, but I just want to see hamiltons dining scene get better and thOught this could be from the new vanguard. Uh...no.

4  Thank Joey S
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Heard the buzz about this restaurant so I took a few friends to check it out. Fabulous selection. My lunch was great. Can't wait to go back and try something else.

1  Thank Kathy C
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Small restaurant, but very good food. Daily dinner specials. Make sure you arrive early enough on the weekend for the breakfast special.

1  Thank ngraabe