“Great experience for the casual diner”
Review of Stonewalls

Stonewalls
Ranked #246 of 1,266 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ray Street
Transit: Located at the corner of York and Queen Street.
Description: Very interresting place for downtown Hamilton; good food, open oven cooking, good entertainment. Worth a visit if in Hamilton
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The food is very good here and the atmosphere is very comfortable. They have live music on the weekends and was voted best venue in Hamilton for Live music.
Different events during the week - Poker night, Trivia night etc.

Service is very good and i have never been disappointed in my meal.

Great JUMBO Martini's too.

Great for date nate or family evening out.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

After reading the reviews online I almost didn't come here. It makes me wonder if some people have a vendetta against this place?? The weather was cool when we went so we didnt sit on the patio, but we had a quick look at it and it looks really nice. Nice flowers, tables, umbrellas etc, it looks very inviting and we will come back to enjoy it as soon as we can.

The wait staff was very friendly and welcomed us to Stonewalls upon our arrival. Our server (Shelby) told us all about the new menu (apparently it was just out a few days) and informed us about the up coming events. I'm really looking forward to coming back for the live music. Our server told us how we could find the up coming bands under events on their web page and gave us a business card for Ellie with their web site on it. We had a nice little chat with Shelby and was very pleased to have her as our server. She should get a raise she made our night. I didn't think I was ever going to get my wife to leave she was having so much fun.

After looking at the menu I found so many things I wanted to try I didn't know where to start. Shelby recommend a few of their new items to try and we chose the pulled pork sliders to start with. It came with 3 different sauces served on a pretzel bun and we found them very tasty and presented well. For our main course I had my Old time favorite fish and chips and my wife had surf and turf ravioli. The fish and chips was one of the best I have had, crispy, nice golden brown and Shelby made sure we knew we were eating award winning Gold medal fries which she did not lead us wrong, they were delicious and well deserving of many medals in my opinion.

My wife said the surf and turf ravioli was like having a party in her mouth (that sort of scares me) but I could tell she was really enjoying it so I had to try it. I don't know about having a party in my mouth but it was very good. Its to hard to make at home fresh so if you are up for some amazing pasta then give this a go. All the portions are big and we ended up taking enough home for lunch the next day.

Ellie came to our table and asked us how everything went as we were looking at our bill. We shared with her how we hear their ads on Y108 all the time so thought about giving it a try but almost didn't come from all the bad reviews we had read online before coming out for dinner. I could tell she really cares about Stonewalls and learned from her its not a chain like we thought. Its a family run business, her and her brother (Darren I think) trying to make a nice warm place, for regular people to come eat, hang out and have fun. We were happy to hear they cater to a older clientele on the weekends for entertainment and will surely come back to try out the dance floor.

All in all, we were very pleasantly pleased with our first experience with Stonewalls. Our server Shelby, the food, the warm cozy atmosphere, everything was bang on. Either they have really stepped up their game from all these bad reviews we have read about or maybe there is something going on behind the scenes that is suspect. I don't know, I am just glad my wife said "Don't believe everything you read online" actually I think she said newspapers, but you get the idea, and came for a very enjoyable evening. Give them a try, I believe you will have a wonderful evening just like we did. And if you want great server, ask for Shelby or Ellie.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

The food was excellent! The Mac and Cheese with Lobster was delicious, as was the Basa fish and the Thai veggies with rice - spicy!. The veggies were fresh! Next visit, I will try the Lobster Mac and Cheese! Our server was very pleasant. A band was setting up just as we were leaving. On another visit, there was a live band and they were excellent!

1  Thank RosanneT304
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Ok.... I have been To stonewalls quite a bit but Will probably not be goin back anytime soon unless an Amazing band is playing....What happened to this place??? It went downhill so fast.... Personally I like the new open concept and higher stage.. But everytime I go here this place is a complete ghostown I feel awful for the bands ... So many amazing bands and tops 15 people in the bar now 90% of the time...?? This place use to always be slammed on weekends. The dance floor used to be packed here but now you maybe get the odd person not checking there facebook
Status on the dance floor....They use to have the lights dimmed during venues now everytime you go there late night to see a band it is so bright in the entire bar gives you more of a cafateria vibe... Also when the bands take breaks during there sets they play the radio super low you cant even hear it, so basically not a fun party scene at all anymore... Bright lights no music.... I find the burnette behind the bar the only real friendly attentive worker there... Owner always looks stressed and angry. Iv only
Ordered food twice but was such awful experience never had the desire to try it again. Avocado was black on sandwich, Spring boxed salad mix was slimey,salsa was pure acidity,Bread stale not fresh at all. Its a nice bar, clean, nice patio & bathrooms so hopefully they can get a real crowd in there again and actually become the luve music venue that they are trying to be....

1  Thank VanValval
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We came for dinner Saturday I had the Fish and Chips and my husband had the Liver and Onions. I am not a big Liver and Onion fan but my husband said its one of the best he has ever had. My Fish and Chips were very big and tasty, I had to take the second piece home it was just to much but still very yummy for lunch the next day.

Our server was very friendly, informative, and attentive. She explained all the features and drink specials. We didn't plan on staying after dinner but after hearing her enthusiasm about the live music we ended up staying for the first set and found it very enjoyable.

Overall, it is a really nice warm place with friendly staff, and we will be back.