“Quiet and comfortable”

Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed August 31, 2014

Hotel was as expected for a Crowne Plaza - well appointed, very quiet, comfortable beds, great bathroom. We stayed on the executive floor, (7th), which included a club lounge, which was very nice. Persons staying on the 7th floor received a complimentary continental breakfast in the lounge. The pastries were a bit dry, but the rest was nice. Staff were very friendly and professional.
The hotel is located right downtown, close to shopping and dining, so very conveniently placed.

We booked this one thru a third party provider and got an excellent price. I called the hotel before booking and was surprised they wouldn't meet the online price, so we didn't book direct. It worked out ok but I generally prefer to book directly with the hotel, so if this is an issue for anyone else just be aware, this particular hotel doesn't seem to do price matching.

Room Tip: Online prices can get you a room on the executive floor for less than the hotel's posted rated.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2014

Dear ChapelHill10,

I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We thank you for your compliments. Each member of our team strives daily to deliver a positive guest experience. Along with providing us with areas of opportunity, your feedback serves as encouragement to our associates. We appreciate having you as our guest, and we hope you’ll visit us again soon.

Andrew Holmes

Reviewed August 13, 2014

Overall, I was not impressed with this property. This hotel was arranged for us, as part of a youth soccer tournament trip. My husband noted that it was not up to Crowne Plaza standards. It was also in a very sketchy part of town and it was really inconvenient having to put your key into the elevator to get to the room floors. The food was terrible in the restaurant. The overall decor and room though were ok. I would never stay here again myself due to location alone.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Dear sdm36,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I appreciate you acknowledging our modern décor even though our location and food were not to your liking. Your sincere comments, which highlight our successes and areas for improvement, are appreciated as they foster change for the better. For this reason, I hope to see you on a return visit.

Andrew Holmes

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Last minute trip for medical reasons and picked the hotel as one of us had been there before. Proximity to hospital and downtown with food choices and shops helpful. Clean, Comfortable, Quiet which we needed after sitting around the hospital on and off for 12 hours. Thankfully, a Good health outcome, which while we were highly stressed waiting for the results, was made much easier to handle because when we popped back to the hotel such terrific staff were concerned about our needs. Good breakfast at a reasonable price without leaving the hotel was a bonus. Too many hotels are too expensive for basic Breakfast when you want a quick start to your day. Special thanks to Dawn at the Front Desk. Hope your Bosses appreciate you as much as we do.

Room Tip: some rooms have a distant but nice view of the Bay and towards L. Ontario
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Marya B
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Dear Marya B,

I’m thrilled to learn we satisfied your travel needs; thanks for taking the time to share your experience. It’s wonderful to know that our staff left such a lasting impression with you through their warm hospitality; I look forward to sharing your kind remarks with Dawn. I’m pleased we could add a little comfort during this difficult time so you could enjoy your stay and a good night’s rest. We’re happy to have had you as our guests, and we look forward to being your hotel of choice when in the Hamilton area.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Second stay at this property. This is a well run hotel with great staff. The room is beautifully furnished with a comfy bed. The only complaint I could have in the bathroom is very small. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

It is fantastic to hear that your stay was enjoyable! We thank you for your compliments regarding our decor and comfortable bed, but more importantly our staff. Our associates strive to provide exceptional guest experiences; I will be sure to share your kind feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to write and I hope to see you for a third visit.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

As a Platinum IHG member, I get to several Crowne Plazas every year and value the brand. Alas, while they are making some effort, this Hamilton CP property has a long way to go match their brand cousins.

Pros
+Wonderful staff. Dawn and the young lady in the evening were congenial and well-informed. If only the hotel itself was as pleasant and customer-oriented as the front desk!
+Small, chic lobby. Nice bright carpeting in hallways of executive floor.
+Good security with key card access required to move to any floor from any floor (not just lobby).
+Room is nicely remodeled with intriguing abstract artwork and large headboards.
+Nice firm bed, quality linens, CP standards.
+Fetching Templespa toiletries.
+Excellent shower pressure, solid ergonomic showerhead.
+Attractive tiling in enclosed glass shower area.
+Reasonable room service prices.
+Inexpensive indoor parking lot.
+Appreciated quiet zone with no housekeeping before 10am.
+Clean, spacious fitness area with free weights.
+Large, warm (84'F) old-school pool with 7'9" deep end - a rarity.
+Short five-block walk to GO transit station.

Cons
-Mind-numbing pneumatic drilling and jackhammering starts daily Monday thru Saturday and went non-stop from 3pm check-in to 9:50pm. Even on an upper floor, I could barely hear the TV and felt a vibration from the constant noise. In hundreds of hotel stays, I have NEVER, EVER encountered mass construction noise progressing late into the evening. Any business hotel appreciates that this is when normal people aim to relax after a long day of work!
-Upon inspection of the jackhammering in P3 (directly below Floor 1 guestrooms), they have a LONG ways to go, surely this will progress right through the busy summer tourist season and well into the fall.
-Learned from staff it is an independent construction company operating on their own terms to accommodate the neighboring corporate office. Seemingly they are holding CP hostage and taking advantage of a noise bylaw loophole at the expense of anyone staying or working at the hotel. Odd to think CP has no control over construction work above their own lobby and directly below their guestrooms. I felt really sorry for the front desk staff, who take the brunt of the complaints and constant racket.
-I would strongly recommend temporarily shutting the hotel down and let construction go 7am - 11pm, as it is presently an uncomfortable and stressful environment for both hotel staff and guests. They could also use the period to bring their ventilation system up to code, along with many other areas noted below. If management/ownership disagrees, they should try sleeping here, especially on the construction side and truly learn about the guest 'experience'.

The Room
-Room is a standard urban Holiday Inn size, nowhere near a typical CP (undersized).
-Felt stuffy and a bit musty upon entering with a bit of a cheap floral disguise. Did a little detective work and found there are no vents in the room! Just one tiny three-inch vent in the bathroom clogged with mold and dust (unsanitary).
-Windows are sealed tight shut and there is no fan in the bathroom, thus stale air proliferates (unhealthy).
-Room was 78'F upon entry. Have a fancy new thermostat on the wall, but only there for decoration, as only HVAC control is a roaring old unit with non-stop low/high cool settings that render the room cold and damp very quickly. Thus forced to continually turn on and off to keep the room moderately close to 70'F (uncomfortable).
-No fridge or microwave - even in an Executive floor room despite the space (inconvenient).
-No outlets on or near the desk; lone one in bathroom is in far corner (impractical).
-Already several large cracks in modern sink (unattractive).
-Sat in desk chair and almost flipped backwards gently leaning back, as an irresponsible halfwit adjusted the tilt setting to lean back all the way at a 90' angle to the floor (dangerous).
[With some effort, I corrected to a safe setting for future guests]
-Perhaps the smallest bathroom I have ever been in. 50% of the room is the shower. You will have to lean towards the sink when using the small toilet that the door barely clears (awkward).
-TV has 40 channels, many are either black or grainy, none in HD (unappealing).
-Time on CP welcome channel is set 25 minutes behind actual time (confusing).
-No Sportsnet - Canada's national sports channel - in their lineup of obscure channels. Means no NHL hockey or Jays games, the home teams will not be seen at this hotel. First hotel I have been to in Canada without Sportsnet (inexplicable).
-Room is rather dark given the single small 3' wide window (depressing).
-No safe in room despite shady neighborhood (illogical).
-Housekeeping are the most important folks in the hotel industry, so I'll be generous. Quickly noticed:
a) Two rocks glasses, one clean, one dirty;
b) Filthy window (dirt, smear marks, spit, etc.), evidently not cleaned in weeks/months;
c) 1/3 of mist/cream sleep kit oddly missing

-Given the profound noise, why no earplugs, eyemask or sleep CD provided? All are CP staples.
-Poor overall internal and external soundproofing. When not experiencing constant jackhammering, woke up to loud ambulances and police cruisers all hours of the night.
-Why 11am check out? Likely pushes away lunch business. 95% of IHG hotels in North America are 12pm and operate with a three-hour gap between check out and check in, not four. Why the need for the extra hour? Is housekeeping slower than industry standard here?

The Facilities
-Here is where the hotel fails miserably.
-After check-in note the strangely labelled floors in the elevator. Consider:
LL - L (ground level) - P1 - P2 - P3 - 1 - 2 ... 8 - 7
Hence floor 1 - where the pool and fitness center reside - is actually level 5, and floor 7 is labelled as being above floor 8, which is actually level 12. Make sense to you?
-While the key card activation is appreciated, a couple times while getting ice and vending on another floor I was sent down to the lobby to pick up others as soon as the doors closed, before having any chance to insert the card and press the floor.
-Went to spa, heard strange noises beyond the jackhammers and drills. Maintenance passed by and I casually mentioned the odd sounds - polite man fixed a damaged instrument related to the pool on the spot.
-Hot tub jets are still broken as of mid-June 2014 - reading the reviews on here, evidently it has been out of order for several months. How long does it take to replace a motor?
-Executive lounge is a large, dark abandoned room with an empty fridge/ugly old cabinets that serves a bare-bones breakfast in the morning (apples, oranges, cereal, mini croissants, juice. That's it).
-If offering an Executive lounge and losing multiple significant room revenues for the prime upper lake view location rooms, why not at least make it meaningful? (e.g. Nightly hors d'oeuvres, beer, wine like most CP properties do). Never once saw anyone use it. A wasted opportunity.
-The lone PC in the lounge is non-functional, the java scripts are so outdated you can't open up yahoo, check email, or consult a google map. Even the IHG website loads up as a bizarre useless script - you can't even book an IHG room using their own PC!
-Adding insult, there is no printer or paper in the lounge.
-Restaurant/bar closes daily from 2-5pm. Ditto room service. Evidently, they do not care for your business. The needs of the guest are a complete afterthought at this largely dated and neglected CP property.
-Everywhere I went, I bumped into maintenance people. They sure have their hands full here!

The Neighborhood
While not directly the fault of CP (beyond their actual choosing of this sketchy location!), note this is a very seedy part of Hamilton, which is already a rough blue-collar steel town. Junkies, panhandlers and street kids abound and linger and argue all hours of the day/night. I was hassled for money every time on the street.

Stores surrounding the hotel are a bizarre mix of advance cash lenders, meth & drug clinics, tattoo parlors, dive bars, sex shops, cash for gold, thrift stores, sketchy mini-marts and boarded up shops. Absolutely nothing of value in the immediate area, a rarity for an urban IHG property. Probably one of the most depressing cities in North America, and I have been to well over 100. The dreary downtown is in dire need of a major cleanup. Fortunately, inspiring Toronto and Niagara Falls are both within an hour drive.

Verdict
With rates typically around $149/night for constant noise and lack of service beyond the front desk, there are far better options in far more pleasant areas nearby (Oakville, Burlington, Mississauga etc.).

Room Tip: Higher floors to minimize the pneumatic drilling/jackhammering taking place on the 4th floor (P3)!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank stigs17

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I was delighted to see that Dawn met you with congenial and customer oriented service; but disappointed to hear of the frustration you experienced due to noise pollution stemming from construction occurring in a neighboring building. We appreciate our guests taking the time to provide us with detailed feedback. This allows us to monitor and improve our guest experience. Thank you for taking the time to write.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

This hotel offered what we were looking for: an inexpensive hotel in the heart of downtown Hamilton. The room was clean and the people at the front desk were very professional and courteous.

We had to visit multiple floors to find an ice machine but it was a fun process (not sure how many others would find that fun though!). Just a note if you stay on the executive level: our room did not contain a fridge but we did have access to one as we were on the executive level, which has a lounge with a fridge.

There is a small but useful snack bar downstairs with basic supplies as well for low prices. I didn't like that fish were in glasses at the front desk—I can't imagine a human would enjoy sitting in a confined space, trapped and completely stripped of its freedom, and doubt a fish would either.

All in all, the hotel certainly provided a comfortable, very spacious room for a great price and we really enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: The executive level is not necessary unless it's a busy weekend. The hotel was very silent/empty...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear MissyBa,

I’m so glad you enjoyed our clean room and friendly staff! Incredible reflections like yours allow us to monitor and improve our guest experience. Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and we hope to see you on a return visit.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

A recent event took us to Hamilton, and because of the nature of the event we decided to spend the night in Hamilton as opposed to driving back to Toronto.

The 5000 points/night redemption special they had going on again was a fantastic deal, so naturally we decided to come back here as opposed to trying the Sheraton this time.

Despite losing my IHG Platinum status a few months ago, I still felt that this was a fantastic stay!

This time, we received room 831, a room with a king bed, which was identical to the room we received last time.

The room was clean, and was well-maintained (except for the slightly chipped sink). The bed was comfortable, and the sleep amenities were certainly appreciated.

Doug at the front desk is superb! He remembered us from last time, and provided excellent service at both check-in and check-out. I've stayed in MANY hotels (including the InterContinental Park Lane in London), and can say with confidence that the service here trumps even that! I've had several bad experiences at Crowne Plazas, but this one is fantastic when compared to the others I've stayed at.

The pool area was as great as always. However, the hot tub's jets weren't working, which annoyed the other half a little bit, but was perfectly fine by me as I prefer stagnant hot tubs.

The parking garage is a disaster - dirty with pigeon poop everywhere. The garage was under renovation, and as a result was a little tight because of the renovations. However, these issues are not the fault of the hotel as it is a separate company that owns and operates the garage. However, there were no issues finding a parking spot on the upper most level, and at least the parking attendant wasn't a grouch like last time.

We will be back!!!

Room Tip: The higher and further away from the elevator the better! "31" rooms are located in the c...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cober6711
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

While I'm sorry to hear of your experience in the parking garage; I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay. Reflections like yours give us areas to improve our guest experience. Thank you for taking the time to write, and we hope to host you again soon.