“Downtown Hotel with Excellent Service”

Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Toronto, Canada
“Downtown Hotel with Excellent Service”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Our Novice Boys Basketball Team booked this hotel based on location and that it had an indoor pool. We were surprised with the amazing value for money of this hotel. The rooms were very clean and spacious. The pool/hot tub area was great for the kids and parents. Also in the same area but a different room was a gym with decent equipment.

The lobby staff were very kind and helpful as were the housekeeping staff and the manager to be exact. I didn't get her name, but she walked me through the hotel to show me directions to the train station.

As others have noted the location is in a "not so great" for walking at night, but we actually did walk to a restaurant (pub) and felt very safe, though we were a large group.

There is secured covered parking with access directly into the hotel that was very convenient.

If ever in Hamilton again, I would stay here. I was really pleasantly surprised with this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the elevators as you can hear them coming and going.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Becky33,
Thank you for taking a moment out of your busy day and writing a review about your recent stay with us at Crowne Plaza Hotel. We appreciate you and your group staying with us, and we're glad to hear that everyone had a great time. I'm glad the staff was helpful with directions and made you feel welcomed. We do hope you'll visit us again if your travels bring you back to Hamilton. Thanks again and safe travels.
Andrew Holmes, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
CALEDONIA
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This hotel is in a "sketchy" area of Hamilton but the interior is modern and looks great. We were pleased with the room although it was right across the hall from the elevators which are a tad loud, though not unbearable.

However, despite this hotel's appearance and clean rooms, our stay was terrible. The girls in the room next to us were extremely loud and did not quiet down until after 4am. They were literally yelling at the top of their voices to the point where I could clearly follow their conversation/angry ranting. They took their yelling into the hall at one point when they were joined by their friends from another room on the floor. I called down to the front desk to ask them to resolve the noise issue and though the desk clerk was polite, the noise continued for over an hour at varying volumes, none which were conducive to trying to sleep. The clerk actually called my room about 45 minutes after I called down, but he had punched in the wrong numbers and told me he was trying to reach the noisy room because there had been another complaint.
At checkout in the morning, the clerk informed me the manager was too busy to speak to me at the moment but she would make sure I didn't get charged for parking. I called in later to speak to the manager and found him very unhelpful when I told him that since I got less than half a night's sleep due to the staff's inability to promptly handle noise complaints, it only seems reasonable that I be compensated for half the charge of my stay. I was more than willing to call hotwire (the website I booked with) and go through the hassle of explaining the issue, which they would then have to verify with the hotel, to achieve some sort of resolution. (Having worked at a hotel before, I have dealt with refunds being issued despite the guests booking through a third party - hotwire - website.) The manager insisted this was impossible and that next time I should book through the Crowne Plaza Hamilton website and make a note of my terrible stay, so that they will "do their best to get you a nice room." As someone who splurged a little for a nice Valentine's weekend stay and was thoroughly disappointed, this was nowhere near helpful. Nothing short of a complimentary stay will convince me to give my business to this property - indeed, this chain - again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
missmary22_12,
We appreciate your feedback concerning your recent experience with us at Crowne Plaza Hotel. I apologize for the noisy guests, and I especially apologize for our staff not taking immediate action to quiet them. Your comments will be reviewed with our staff to ensure that we take better care in providing a quiet atmosphere for our guests. We will make improvements to this situation, so I hope you will visit us again to see these improvements. Thanks again.
Andrew Holmes, General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Hamilton hotels

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have been staying at the Crowne Plaza Hamilton very often I very much enjoy your facility. Rooms are clean and your employees are friendly and helpful.Keep up good work, I will definitely recommend your hotel as an excellent place to stay.

Room Tip: all rooms are great
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
ady o,
Thank you for your wonderful review. We're glad to have had you as our guest, and we're delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit. I'm glad you liked our friendly staff, and I hope they were able to add to your comfort. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. Please visit us again. Safe travels.
Reviewed February 2, 2013

First time here and Hamilton, the hotel staff vas very nice, got the deal with Hotwire so was a good price, the room was clean and nice.
The bad things were the internet which was very slow, I was going crazy and then at the time of taking a shower I ran out of hot water and let me tell you that was a very cold day outside.
Did not try the restaurant
Overall good place but need some improvement.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank drblonski
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
drblonski,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at Crowne Plaza Hotel. I'm glad you liked our friendly staff, clean rooms, and great prices. We hope to see you again soon. Safe travels.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in late Dec 2012 for a night. We had an executive room with two queen beds. The receptionist was pretty indifferent both the evening when we checked in and in the morning. In fact when I called the reception in the morning, no one picked up the phone at all. What I did not like was that when I booked the room online at the advance purchase rate, it threw in a seventeen buck "hotel fee" AFTER I clicked the purchase button! WTH? The website said that parking was $7 but the email confirmation said $8. Breakfast in the executive lounge consisted of a variety of stale croissants, bagels, danishes, etc. but there was a variety of fruit, juice, oatmeal (instant), etc. No non-dairy creamer to add to one's coffee though so for someone who is lactose-intolerant like me, you're out of luck. And the dining table in the executive lounge was unusable... the chairs were too short for the table -- if you sat down, the table top literally comes up to your chest! Also, when you enter from the parking garage to the hotel, the door is kept unlocked and there is absolutely no security (and it's in a shady part of town). That door is one floor up from the lobby and goes into a hallway with direct access to the elevators to the rooms. The executive floors require a room key to access via the elevator but the others don't. The room and bathroom were updated but for a hundred and forty bucks in a run down town like Hamilton they'd better be! Last but not least, I slept only two hours the entire night because the digital thermostat shines a really bright light into the room all night! Take some scotch tape and cardboard with you to seal it up or else you are in for a lot of tossing and turning. I wouldn't stay here again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I think there's a Hyatt down the road that will probably serve you better.

Room Tip: Call a different hotel!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
CottonSheets83,
Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay you've come to expect from us. Your feedback provides many areas that we can work on in order to improve our guest experience. We appreciate your feedback on these areas and hope you will return and see our improvements. Thank you again.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Second time staying here. Price was great, staff super, room was very very clean. The lounge was well appointed and free breakfast. We ate 3 times at the Saffrons - Steak was 18.00 and excellent, Fish was 15 and great. Also had brunch - amazing taste and priced great.
On top of that the work out room is huge, clean and modern. Pool didnt go in but very large and clean.
A forsure great spot

Room Tip: 7th floor is best we had room 717
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
GarryCari,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us at Crowne Plaza Hotel. We're delighted to hear of your pleasant stay with us, and your compliments are well received. I'm glad your room was comfortable, and I'm also glad you liked Saffrons. Please come and visit us again soon. We enjoyed having you as our guests, and we look forward to your return.
Reviewed December 11, 2012

From the moment we walked in,the first thing my party noticed that the hotel smelled so clean..and continued to smell clean during our stay..Beds and rooms clean and modern,will definitely stay here again and again..THe staff was exceptional,i am in hospitality as well,and was blown away by the service quality..a special shout out to the lady..im sorry I did not get her name..who works housekeeping/lost and found on sunday around 430 pm,for going above and beyond

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
brian k,
Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a kind review about your stay with us at Crowne Plaza Hotel. We're glad to have had you as our guest, and we're delighted to hear of your pleasant visit with us. I'm pleased you found our hotel clean and comfortable as well as our staff friendly and helpful. We welcome you to come and visit us again soon.