“I wasn't sure what to expect because of the mix of reviews.”

Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Upon doing research into this hotel I read a lot of differing reviews, from positive to very negative.
I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The room was very clean and easily manageable, check in was quick and easy, the restaurant was also very good.
I was a little surprised that with all the equipment in the exercise room that there was no treadmill, but it wasn't really a big deal as there is lots of other equipment.
The indoor parking lot was closed when I checked in so I was given a pass to the public lot beside hotel, again not a big deal.
As for the location being in an unsafe area, its no different than any other city. I never came across panhandlers, never felt unsafe, never felt like I was in a sketchy area. It's not a country hotel people, don't expect it to be.
As someone who travels a lot, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Thank you for making your first TripAdvisor review about our hotel joerourke, your comments are appreciated. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to the opportunity to see you again!

Reviewed May 3, 2012

Me and my family couldn't get into the Sheraton, courtesy of Cirque de Soleil being in town, so we all ended up in the Crowne Plaza. We originally booked a suite, but apparently the previous occupants left the whirlpool running, or something like that, so rather than give us another suite, we had a standard room. Rate was reasonable ...$89/night.

Though small, the room was clean and well designed. There was a great work desk built into a kind of wall unit where the flat screen TV sat. We had a king-sized bed, which was very comfortable. The bathroom was also small, but also well designed. The shower was great. Everyone has probably been in hotels where you move the shower control a fraction of an inch the right and its scalding hot, a fraction of an inch to the left and its freezing. This one had a very precise control and good water pressure.

Another plus for the hotel was free internet, both wired and wireless. Decent speed too based on my measurements.

We found the staff courteous and helpful. Health club was good.

So why not a higher score? First off, when you drive to the front of the hotel you clearly see two signs indicating public parking and hotel parking. Both point to a ramp that goes up into the hotel. When you drive up the ramp, you find a locked gate and a fellow comes out yelling that the parking is for month-to-month tenants of the offices. You have to get your parking pass from the hotel. You then have to back out onto King St. (lots of traffic), park on the street and fight your way into the lobby, check in, and they give you a slip to put in your car window. Then you drive back down the street for a block and park in an above-ground private parking lot. The lot in question happened to be the one we had just left so we could park in the hotel. Didn't do much for my mood. If you do stay at the Crowne make sure you have everything out of your car that you need before it gets dark. Trust me ... you don't want to go walking around downtown Hamilton in the middle of the night.

After a day of running around, my wife and I decided rather than going out to eat, we would order a bottle of wine and some snacks for the room. We were originally told it would take 45 mins ... a little high considering we didn't order much. We got a call at the 45 minute mark and were told it would take another 10 mins. In fact it took another 45 mins. We were almost asleep by the time they showed up.

You would have thought we would have learned something by then, but no. Another tiring day and we decided to eat in our room. It was only 7:30 at night, but no room service and no restaurant. Both are supposed to be available until 9, so out we go roaming the streets of Hamilton, looking for something to eat.

The restaurant itself, which is where the room-service comes from, I would rate as average (when its open). The breakfasts are quite good, and they have a very affordable and quite tasty breakfast buffet on the weekend.

I would probably rate the Crowne plaza a 3 1/2 if I could, but based on some of the annoyances we experienced, I can't bring myself to give them a four. If you have no expectation of access to restaurant services, room service, or enclosed parking, this would be a decent place to stay in Hamilton.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KitchenerWelshguy

Thank you for your candid review KitchenerWelshguy. I share your frustration with parking, it’s a challenge we face because of where we’re situated in our downtown location and regrettably we have no other options. Please accept my apologies for your experience with room service and be assured that this is being addressed with the restaurant team as it is unacceptable. I also regret that the suite you reserved was unavailable and thank you for your understanding.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

Other reviews are correct with this location and clean rooms. Walls are paper thin, you can hear everything from other guests. Pool is excellent, Saffron restaurant for dinner hour is excellent but breakfast was a waste of time and money. Head to the Tims for a short 3 min. walk for your morning coffee. Bathrooms are incredibly small and our room on the 3rd floor had two double beds but crammed into a tiny room. Internet is a waste of time, my husband needed to work through a VPN connection but the system is not strong enough even using a hardwire connection. I had to request a light to see to use the telephone as the room was missing a light. ( I had to use the light from my cell phone screen in order to see the numbers.) Empty screws/hooks on the walls obviously from removal of lights or pics. Wallpaper was peeling and stained on walls. Note: Hotel charges for all calls made even local...my Bell telephone calling card was not accepted even though the room telephone states you can use it. Operator is unable to assist you as this hotel uses another provider for its services. Older evening staff was rude. (a male guest inquired where the 'nightlife' was while interrupting others checking in and the staff member replied 'look for the scantily clad women' using that term in front of young children. Definately lacking class here. Parking is in a lot beside the hotel as the underground lot is closed by the city = $ 8.00 fee - this lot was packed resulting in our vehicle being nicked in the door panel by another parked too tight beside us. The Black Forest Inn one block down the Street offers wonderful German food for dinner and priced very well. Next time I'll choose the Sheraton Hotel 5 min. away and located with the Convention Centre/shopping mall/farmers market/McDonalds/Tim Hortons/ etc. with the undergound parking all attached and all indoors. p.s. Be watchful while walking due to drug addicts/hookers/ vomit on sidewalks.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank tootired2travel

Dear tootired2travel,

I feel badly that your stay was not enjoyable overall and regret each of the negatives you experienced, I hope you’ll accept my apologies. I do appreciate your compliments on the pool and restaurant along with the cleanliness of your room. I’d also like to apologize for the challenges your husband experienced with the internet; improving speed and bandwidth is a project currently in progress. I sincerely hope you’ll reconsider your decision not to return to our hotel on your next visit to Hamilton; we would love another opportunity to provide you with the service and accommodations you deserve.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

First let me start off by saying, I travel frequently, and have become a Platinum Priority Club Member. For those who don't know what that is, it is the highest level of the Intercontinental Hotel Group's rewards program. I'm not bragging, just illustrating I travel alot, and I have stayed in several ICH sites. This Crowne Plaza is in need of some work, mainly with the facility, not the staff. The staff was phenomenal, very friendly and helpful. They greeted me with a smile as soon as I walked in and asked how they could help. On to the facility: parking garage under construction, I had to park in a lot around the block and the neighborhood is not somewhere I would leave my family on the street corner. The elevator: you have to use your key to access any floor (this tells you what kind of neighborhood you're in), and using your key in the elevator everytime can be cumbersome with bags/luggage. The room: red Solo cup left on the shelf above the TV, crumpled paper bag under the chair (I stayed in room 404 if a manager is reading this, hammer time). The bathroom in the room: very small, only one person can fit at one time. The noise: this is not the Crowne's fault, a rambunctious conference can bring a few loud people, and not everyone respects the time of day/night. The floor I was on had a few rooms of loud people, and the room I was in had one of those adjoining doors so you can expand the room, and I could hear everything the ladies next door were saying. So, I cranked up the fan in the room and slept as well as I could. Summary: staff doing great, facility needs some money thrown into it.

Room Tip: Recommed patrolling your floor before unpacking your bags, just in case you have a noisy floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Jason H
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2012

Dear Jason H,

Thank you for your candid review, we love hearing from our guests and value feedback, especially from a seasoned traveler such as yourself. I appreciate your compliments on the service you received, and would most certainly like to investigate the housekeeping service you received during your stay. Thank you for providing your room number, if I may further trouble you, would you mind giving me a call directly at (905) 528-3451 with the date of your stay? Please accept my personal apologies for the state of cleanliness your room was in. Thank you for your understanding of the garage construction, we’re eagerly anticipating it’s completion and understand your concern. Thanks once again for your review, and for your loyalty to IHG.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

The hotel is centrally located and close to everything. Hamilton is not what one would consider a beautiful city; there are many buildings and homes past their prime unfortunately. Still, the hotel itself feels safe; to access the floors you must use your room card to activate the elevator. The hotel was renovated 3-4 years ago.

I've stayed at this hotel on the same weekend every year for the last 5 years without any problems. My room this time around looked like it had been trashed (Room 506). There were no pictures on the walls; just hooks where they used to hang. Part of the main TV/ Desk unit was ripped out. Still, the room was clean and I find the beds and pillows comfortable.

The staff is very friendly.

I was there with a group and all seemed pleased with their rooms.

Minor complaint is the hotel restaurant - after we run the Around the Bay Road Race we eat there before heading back to Ottawa. Every year it is very busy (we are over 80 hungry people in our group not to mention the other guests) and yet the hotel management always seems to forget to add more servers for that period of time. Service is very very slow. The waitresses are very nice and courteous. I have not experienced any rudeness on their part. Still, it would help us and them to have a few more servers and/or people in the kitchen.

I will be staying there in the future. The pool is nice too for a relaxing swim.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Terry S
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

Thanks very much for your review Terry S, we love hearing from your guests and appreciate your comments. Thanks especially for mentioning the number of servers in the restaurant during the race, we’ll be sure to remember to take your large group into consideration when staffing next year. We look forward to seeing you again then!

Reviewed March 28, 2012

Stayed here for one night for the Around the Bay race. It was located close to the start line, which was convenient. I was surprised at how run down the city is. The downtown core is not very appealing - Dollar stores, empty abandoned blocks of beautiful old buildings that show glimmers of better times. The hotel itself was nice and secure. You need a key card to operate the elevator. I was disappointed that no breakfast was included. For less money the Days Inn down the road offered a nice breakfast for the runners. I think they also had free parking. So I would def recommend the Days Inn if coming to run Around the Bay. The rooms themselves were spacious, however there was a definite odour from the feather duvet/pillows when you first walk in Kind of smells like farm animal... but you get used to it.
Also - we were not allowed late checkout for the race because a large group was coming in - which was slightly inconvenient for those running a 30km race starting at 9:30am, then having no room afterward to clean up. They offered their fitness room shower - which is singular, so there was a line. But they did provide towels and shampoo/soap. Again, the Days Inn allowed a late check out, for less money. All in all, it wasn't a super great experience. I will likely not run this race again. For the price, it just wasn't worth it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank wheresheroams
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

wheresheroams,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We’re sorry that you were not fully satisfied by the accommodations and services provided. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stayed for one night for business. The hotel elevator has key card access to keep no guests out of the upper floors, so I actually found that a plus. The bathrooms were a bit small, but not unreasonably so. As others have noted the staff is remarkably helpful.

My one quibble: As a Priority Rewards member, I had access to the Executive Lounge breakfast on the 7th floor. Coffee, Frosted Flakes and packages muffins are not really much of a perk. In fact, I found the breakfast indelible.

The location is convenient, but seems seedy based on the number of tattoo parlors surrounding it.

Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Cassyt
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

Thank you for choosing our hotel and taking the time to share your comments Cassyt, we value your business and loyalty as a Priority Rewards member. I appreciate your positive comments and apologize for the limited breakfast selection in the lounge, it’s an area of potential for improvement which we’ll address.