“Pleasant stay in an unpleasant neighbourhood”

Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Pros: Walking distance from GO transit station and Copps Coliseum
-Spa services available on site for additional cost, which my husband enjoyed
-Restaurant with good food and decent prices.
-Gift of sleep essential items (eye mask, lavendar linen spray, ear plugs)
-Decent price
Cons: Bathroom small...the toilet was right in front of the sink, very tight squeeze
-the area surrounding hotel is not very nice.
-the neighbourhood was not very nice, lots of rough looking people about, and not a lot of restaurants that appealed to me (but may appeal to other people)
-rowdy, loud guests on our floor (first)...however, we were all there for a Guns N' Roses concert, so that probably explains it ;)
-tv remote and one telephone didn't work, but not enough of a concern for us to call front desk, if we had it probably would have been taken care of right away.
Overall pleasant experience...front desk accomodated early check in and late checkout with no issues. There is a pool on site, didn't use it but it looked very nice.

Room Tip: Pool and spa services are on first floor, so lots of traffic on that floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelphoodie1979

Reviewed November 28, 2011

First time in Hamilton and stayed at Crwone Plaza for the weekend. Your rooms are typical rooms; though me and others thought the bathrooms are a bit small. But i also heard that the bathrooms are smaller on the upper floors (i was on the 8th) than the lower floors (friends were on the 1st).

Staff were helpful enough. Asked for bottled water at night, and was provided. the guests next door came in at 2am and decided to have a party. The walls are paper thin and I actually got woken up in the middle of my sleep. I called the front desk to lodge my complaint and the noise was promptly dealt with! Try to not get a room facing the elevators, u will hear them go up and down all night.

also, this might seem a bit daft, but a lot of us has the same 'problem'. We thought there wasn't black out blinds in the windows and slept with the light from te street coming in!! and because the hotel provided earplugs and a sleep mask, we thought 'oh that's why there's a sleep mask, thats why theres no black out curtains'. But actually, the next day, we discovered that the black out curtains were hidden behind the sheer curtains!!! Trust me, it wasn't just me, more than a few people had that mistaken lol!

Was going to try the pool and hot tub but didn't have time, but the pool area looked like it was pretty decent size and it goes as deep as 7 feet.

And as other posts mentioned, there were a lot of student activity going in out of lobby. But I don't think the students are allowed to use the faculties and restaurants.

Location was downtown Hamilton, quite a few restaurants an pubs around. Hotel restaurant had crappy coffee FYI.

Other than that, it was an okay hotel. Nothing above and beyond. Conference paid for hotel so if u got a decent deal, it's not bad.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank pinkstrwbery
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Stayed at this hotel on a business trip twice.

Pros: Room, Customer Service, and Hotel Restaurant

Customer service was by far very good.

The food from the hotel restaurant was very good and prices very decent. I really enjoyed the service from the waitresses always nice to talk to and funny.

The room was very clean and comfortable. Overall the hotel is great solely for sleeping and nothing else!

Cons: Noise, Internet services, School Bus, Location

The room was located on the first floor across from one of the conference rooms. Throughout the week there seems to be a class held there. I hardly had one wink of sleep because of all the running back and forth the hall and the unusual rappings from someone at the door. During the middle of the morning, I would be rudely awakened the sound of street cleaners down in the streets below. In the bathroom, I could always hear this squeaking sound...at times I thought the hotel had mice or something...perhaps it was a leaky pipe.

The internet is pretty much crap for both wireless and wired connections. A dial-up connection is pretty much better than what Crowne Plaza offers. In order to read any e-mail from my work I had to connect to use my smartphone. I finally got fed up trying to constantly refresh the webpage to load a website. I think half the problem is probably the hotel not putting a password on their wireless router.

The power receptacle at the desk was broken, which made inconvinient for charging up my laptop.

In the mornings, I have to take a taxi to get to my workplace for training. Everyday I was there I ended up being late because of school buses blocking the exit area in front of the hotel. The taxi driver everytime complained to the bus drivers that they need to make space, but they refuse to back up. They laughed at the taxi driver as he tried to squeeze out of the parking lot. The last day the taxi driver had to drive over the curb just to get out...that is just ridiculous! One morning I was waiting for an elavator to goto my room and just as the doors open I almost get run over by female students dressed in uniforms. The girls dashed out of the elavator bumping right in to me without not even the common courtesy to apolgize...they instead run out of the hotel to hop the "same" buses outside which made me late for work.

The hotel is located directly downtown. Me and friend decided to go out for a walk outside the hotel during the evening...big mistake! Drug dealers, people dressed up in black clothes staring you down if you look at them, and the yelling and cries of the homeless people. I could not help but keep looking over my shoulder because i was afraid someone was going to mug me. Just to avoid going outside to look for something to eat for supper, I, and my co-workers always went to the restaurant inside the hotel for our meals. The second stay in Hamilton...we always stayed in the hotel during the evening.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank CJB123456789
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I was in town on business for 3 nights and the person coordinating our travels booked our rooms at the hotel. I am a platinum level priority club member so I was happy to get the extra points. I was a bit disappointed that I was not upgraded on the room. I overheard the receptionist later having a discussion with the valet parking attendant that the customers should not upset her as she could put them in rooms that weren't that great. I was a bit surprised to hear this as she said it while I was sitting in the couch not far from the front desk. I don't think that it was directed at me but am still surpised that she said it at all.

The hotel itself is in good shape with the rooms being clean and everything in working order. I will agree that the bathroom (at least in 728) is quite small for a bigger person. The king size bed is comfortable and the TV is a nice flat screen. I would have liked to have seen a safe in the room but it is not the downgrading my review. I was on the 7th floor and had access to the executive level room that includes a complimentary continental breakfast as well as a computer for checking email, etc. There is also a business centre in a seperate location that I tried as well and was in good working order. I had dinner at the restaurant the first night of my stay. Overall the food was good (I had a pizza) and the beer was cold which is what I was looking for. An interesting note is the number of what appear to be full time students that live at the hotel. With that being said I did not have any on my floor as I think they are mostly in the lower floors. We had some members of my group on the lower floor and they were not disturbed by the students.

Room Tip: I had a room that was away from the front of the building and was quite--room 728.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank stroudcrowd
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager IHG Care at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2011

Dear stroudcrowd,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear that you were overall please with your stay.
I am concerned about the conversation you heard between the front desk agent and
the valet and I apologize for that. I am forwarding your review to upper management of the hotel so they can go over it with the staff. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Hope to see you again soon.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed November 3, 2011

Beautiful hotel, good location and the service was excellent.
The only drawback is the rooms are a little small but they are very clean.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed November 3, 2011

In town for a wedding so not downtown too much. Room was large and seemed recently renovated. Staff were friendly and helpful. Restaurant was excellent but underused. Easy access once you know where you are!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2011

After having stayed at the Sheraton in Hamilton for years while on business, I decided to stay someplace different. The Crowne came to mind. Staff were very friendly and helpful even though the hotel was being used as a temporary residence for a nearby college, which I feared would either reduce service or compromise the facility. There were a few conference rooms that were not available, but the cleaning staff came early and did a good job, the beds were very nice and the decor still felt brand new.

Room Tip: The Capri Restaurant is around the corner ... it's been there for decades and hasn't changed...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business