“Thanks to the management, a pretty good stay after all”

Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed at this hotel because it was one of 2 hotels affiliated with a conference that we attended. The room was alright, not great but not bad, but the walls were thin and the neighbors were noisy! In fact we complained 3 nights in a row about noise - we ended up with a hockey team next door, across from us and down the hall! Finally the front desk got us moved to a very nice, huge room on another floor. This was the honeymoon suite, which oddly enough had no door for the toilet (but they had hung a curtain)!
The restaurant was passably good as well although expensive for what you recieved.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 10, 2011

We reserved 2 rooms (adjacent) and were very pleased with the cleanliness. They are not very big but quite frankly who cares? We needed a place to sleep.
The staff were very friendly and kind. We were travelling with a young child and needed a crib. Within 15 minutes, it was in our room.
We were staying on the 1st floor, near the pool and elevators and unfortunately heard quite a bit of noise.
If we go back to Hamilton, the Crowne Plaza is sure to be on our 'where to stay' list.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed on the Hamilton ON Crowne Plaza for a week on business. I stayed on the Executive Club floor (7th fl) because I didn't want to have to bother going downstairs to the restaurant ... and for some reason I thought there would offer a light evening buffet during the week (not!). I could have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and received a better breakfast buffet and chocolate chip cookies at the end of the day! Except for the coffee (which I don't drink) everything offered was cold, muffins were the greasy kind that come 12 to a box, fruit was limited to oranges (decent) and mealy delicious apples (yuck). Bagels and croissants were hockey pucks.

The room had a view of Lake Ontario which was nice, but the bed was way below average for a Crowne Plaza (no pillow top). It's ironic Crowne Plaza offers the clips to close the drapes, but nothing to cover the outrageously bright thermostat read-out on the wall that lit the whole room up! I fiddled with the "light icon" behind the thermostat's snap on cover hoping I could shut if off, but it didn't work. I resorted to taping a take-out menu over it.

I paid $8 CAD/day for parking and was instructed that when I leave w/my car in the morning I will not be allowed back in the parking garage until after 5 PM due to renovation work. Huh!?!

I couldn't get my WiFi to work so I had to rely on the Business Center computers on P1 to check my email which was subpar for a Crowne Plaza (the Club Floor also had one but the same guy was always camped on it for the whole week, I kid you not).

Save yourself the money and stay at the HI Express in the city's industrial section. Parking is FREE, they offer hot breakfast choices, chocolate chip cookies in the evening and the bed's comfort factor is what you'd expect for the price.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank DreamGirl41
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I have been a long term stay guest at the Crowne Plaza Hamilton over the last year. It has been a pleasure during the stay, especially when you are at one hotel over such a long period of time.

From the front desk right through to upper management, the staff has been great. Thank you to Andrew and JoAnne in management and Christine, Joe and Tim at the front desk.

I was always assured of a comfortable nice spacious room when I returned and a morning welcome with the Priority Club Room breakfast, where Erin took great pride in providing same for the guests. I was also fortunate to also have almost a regular housekeeper, Marta was ever so thorough and also took pride in her work.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank LEDSSL
dheinlein, Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2011

Dear LEDSSL,

I can’t thank you enough for your kind review; it’s been our pleasure to have you stay with us. Thanks especially for recognizing JoAnne, Christine, Joe, Tim, Erin and Marta – it absolutely made their day! Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to make your stay feel like home.

Best wishes,

Andrew Holmes, General Manager

Reviewed June 19, 2011

I have been staying at the Crowne Plaza for almost a year as a long-term stay guest. The staff are wonderful, restaurant serves good food and the amenities are great. The OHMM Centre/Spa facility is an excellent venue located within the hotel; couldn't get any closer. If you need a place to relax and give back time for yourself, this is the place to go. The gym, pool, sauna facilities are another added bonus to the hotel. The staff at the Crowne goes the extra mile to ensure your stay is what you expect from a hotel.

Room Tip: Plan and book ahead.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Rickim2010
dheinlein, Manager at Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2011

We couldn’t have asked for a nicer review RIckim2010! Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience; please know that it has truly been our pleasure to have you stay with us and the entire team is grateful for your comments.

Best,

Andrew Holmes, General Manager

Reviewed May 31, 2011

I went to the hotel for a conference and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The convenient location downtown meant that I could walk and explore the city with ease.

i loved, loved, loved the spa - this is a very transformative space- i went for a massage there and subsequently had the most deep sleep I have had in a long while - amazing - the Spa director Scarlett is wonderful at what she does - even though I was there on business, her willingness to accommodate my schedule meant that i got a wonderful and relaxing massage in the evening. This is what makes all the difference and will have me returning to the The Crowne Plaza. The spa does not disappoint.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank diva_in2020
Reviewed April 23, 2011

I stayed here for two nights and besides it being clean, it was the worst Crown Plaza I've stayed at! I picked this because despite some bad reviews, I thought it can't be that bad ... But it was! First we checked in at 10:30 pm, clerk at the front desk was RUDE, and never even made eye contact the whole time! If your having a bad day, save it for your personal time and don't join the hospitality business! ... They also had to shut off the water from 11 pm till 5 am for maintenance, which was ok but when we went to ask where we could get bottled water ( we had a baby with us) the girl at the desk cut us off before we could finish our question and pointed to a bag! We had already seen the bag & it was empty , that's why we asked! Then when we told her it was empty, she rolls her eyes and sighs and says " hold on" ... 8 mins later ( we timed it) she left the desk and got us some! Never even acknowledged we were waiting. The walls were thin and you could hear everything, which made us nervous because we had a small baby with us... We felt bad for the other guest. Fortunately he didn't cry very long... Room service was quick, but they never made our beds the first night and we DID NOT have the " do not disturb" sign up ... The check in process and staff was what made this experience crap .... But I wanted JUST a clean room to stay, I could have picked a much cheaper place for that, Guess you don't always get whatyou paid for!

Room Tip: Avoid night staff
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family