“Disappointed”

Friends Of The Aviary
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Came across the Aviary by chance and did not go in since we had our dog with us. I later thought that I should have gone inside without my husband just to see if the inside was as run down as the outside. I actually felt sorry for the few birds that were in the cages outside. The building seemed neglected and the cages were boring. The birds had no greenery or toys to amuse themselves just a perch hanging from the top and I later could not remember if they even had a water dish. The birds seemed happy enough, talking to us and climbing on the cage to get close. The park itself has a nice wildflower area where we saw lots of butterflies and finches and there is a walking trail that we only walked in a short distance since we were limited on time. There is a charge for parking.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Sheran W

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“support the aviary!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

a community garden and refuge for special birds fill this tiny hidden gem. impressive with what they do with so little. go visit and enjoy the hard work of volunteers and the community!

Visited August 2012
4 Thank feringully
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful birds”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The birds here are beautiful. The staff that I met were very knowledgeable and they love the birds (they are all volunteers). The only downside to the visit was that I was hoping to take a lot of great pictures but most of the birds weren't allowed out of their cages at the time so all of my pictures have the cage bars in them. Other than that the visit was very enjoyable.

1 Thank Coeli S
Ancaster
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Parrots and parakeets”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Staff were pleasant - I would have liked to see more variety of birds; also bird-baths were all empty and it was actually a very hot day. I felt sorry for those who might have wanted to bathe

Visited May 2012
354 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 369 helpful votes
“Disappointing - Showing its Age”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

When I first visited the Aviary about twelve years ago it was a good experience. When I took my grandchildren this summer (2012) it was quite disappointing. The first thing that greets you when you come in is a compost heap that belongs to the community garden that shares the land withe aviary. It was a hot day and just not a pleasant site. The grounds around the aviary were is poor shape and meter tall thistles and other weeds were growing in front of the viewing areas at the front of the building - not that there were any birds to see! Some of cages had plywood barriers in them so the birds could get shelter but the boards need paint and were badly chewed. The whole place just seemed neglected. We saw several finches, a macaw, a couple of parrots, a peacock family, and a couple of roosters. I guess the other birds were inside the building away from the heat. I understand that there are tours at times -perhaps we should have gone then. Although the admission was free, the parking lot is not. It is the only parking lot in the world that I have seen with a $99.00 maximum!

In summary, disappointing. If you want to take a few minutes to see a couple of parrots and finches then fine, but after about ten minutes there is not much to do.

Visited July 2012