“Going downhill”

African Lion Safari
More attraction details
Owner description: Go "On Safari!" and get CLOSER than you ever imagined to over 1,000 exotic birds and animals that roam free in seven large Game Reserves! Your full day of family adventure begins as you set out on a "trek" along 9km of Safari Trail in your own vehicle or aboard a guided, air-conditioned Safari Tour Bus. See a pride of majestic lions, graceful giraffe, a crash of rhino, and many more animals from around the world! After your safari through the Game Reserves, set out on a walking tour of the grounds and enjoy exciting bird and animal presentations featuring Parrot Paradise, Birds of Prey Flying Demonstration and Elephants & Friends. Enjoy the twice daily Elephant Swim, Pets' Corner, "Nature boy" Scenic Railway, "African Queen" Boat Cruise, Discovery Centre and Jungle Playground Areas. Cool off in the newly-expanded Misumu Bay Wet Play interactive water adventure zone where kids can stroll through sprinklers, spouts and stream jets, trek under rain trees and tumble buckets, and interact with gadgets, gizmos and geysers! African Lion Safari is open daily from May 6 to October 9, 2017
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Decided to take some friends to this attraction recently. Was sorely disappointed. The amount of animals on the ride has plummetted from previous years.

I was also concerned about the lack of safety measures around the reserve. Although there were a lot of trucks patrolling, it seemed that the gates between areas were totally open. I was wondering what would happen if say a predator crossed over to an area where the deer were. In past years, I remember the gates were kept closed until a car came by.

Although some of the animals are used to a hot and humid climate, it wouldn't hurt to provide some more shade either real or artificial. Sure they're on an open reserve, but the patrol cars would herd them to stay in a particular spot, some in the middle of an open field.

I do have to commend the cleanliness of the restaurant and the washrooms in there. They were cleaning them very frequently.

Another disappointment was the Birds of Prey show, it was very sunny and hot on that day, there was no shade over the bleecher style seats. Also condition of the place looked rundown and old, paint tripping off and railings rusting.

The petting zoo was limited. You could only enter to pet goats.

I think they should have also took the opportunity to educate the public about animals with more informative displays.

I also felt very sorry for some of the birds that were kept in some incredibly tiny cages in the blasting sun with no shade.

I would agree that at roughly $10 cheaper, way more attractions, and better public education, it's a better idea to visit the Toronto Metro Zoo.

4  Thank Vicugna_Pacos
There are newer reviews for African Lion Safari

Reviewed August 23, 2010

I was very disappointed. The attraction has been around for 40 years and not much has been done in those 40 years. Tehre are limited animals and limited activities while at the Safari. And it is very overpriced. Skip it and go to the Toronto zoo.

6  Thank ginadean
Reviewed July 31, 2010

I, my wife, and two kids (8, 10) spent 5 hours taking in the park's offerings. We all had a blast. The prices (food and souvenirs) were easy on the pocketbooks and there was a lot to see and partake in. The animals are not afraid to get close to the cars. We had baboons on top of our car and side mirrors. They did not cause any damage but were fun to watch. The water park is great for kids and there were great shows to watch. The place is like a mini zoo but more interactive. We have two similar parks in Ohio but they don't come close to this one. I can't wait to take my kids back to the park. We will be talking about this trip for a while.

3  Thank Brownsfan1111
Reviewed July 25, 2010

We just got back from Niagara Falls and ended up visiting African Lion Safari. It was a great safari and we enjoyed seeing all the animals.

The only real downfall was that we couldn't feed the animals and had to keep our windows up. I can understand in the lion area for safety but I was hoping my daughter would be able to feed the giraffes like we did at Parc Safari. Although I can't fault them they are looking out for their animals and some people would feed the animals food they shouldn't be.

The water play area was a big hit with my young daughter. She really enjoyed the kiddie splash area. There is also a larger area for the older kids. There is a small play area for the toddlers that needs some work to make it more attractive. All in all it was a fun day and we enjoyed the park.

2  Thank Leopardeyed
Reviewed July 16, 2010

The animals were all out and active. Becareful if you are going to see the Baboons with your own vechile. They will unintentionally break your back windsheild wiper on their way up to your roof or back down to the ground. If your wiper has a guard under it so it only goes so far it will be fine. You can always bypass them. The water park is great just keep an eye on the younger kids as the older ones just plow through. Bring your own food if you can to avoid the high food court prices. Enjoy! We are already planning on going back in September!

5  Thank Blessed03