“Visa card maxed - Cable/TV no service”

Admiral Inn Hamilton
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Rockwall
“Visa card maxed - Cable/TV no service”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We checked in to the hotel on 9/21/11 and checked out on 9/26/11.
I gave my Visa card to the hotel clerk and they took the number for theirfile to hold until we checked out. The next day when I went to use it - the restaurant where we were eating said it was declined. Thought there must be a problem with their machine so used cash. Next time I went to use it, same problem, it was declined. I called my bank and told them what the problem was and they said it was because they put a hold on it at the hotel for the full balance of what was in my acct. I confronted the manager John Lulich and he informed me that was common and it was done all the time. I asked him to take it off and my friend would give her card to use instead. He said it would be held for 14 days or until we check out the following Monday. Very matter of fact and not at all cooperative. Said it was common for hotels to hold up to $500.00 a day for the room. Second issue was no TV - said it was the cable company's fault and he was sorry but could not do anything. (As a matter of fact 10 rooms were affected this way). Felt like they should have given us a discount - Two nights were 89.95 and three @ $119.95. Shd have at least given us all 5 nights at 89.95. One thing is for sure we would not recommend the hotel to anyone nor stay there again. My friend's two aunts who live in Hamilton go in there quite frequently to eat in the dining room so they will not be going in there again. Last but not least, my friend asked for the owner's name to call later and he refused to give it to her saying that he requested his name not be given out.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank LeviRockwall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The first time I stayed was in 2008, also for a conference. Since then the hotel has had a renovation and is even more impressive. The room is very comfortable and clean, but there is no safe inside the room! The bed linen is great, and the towels are soft, but unfortunately there is no shower cap in the bathroom! I found the breakfast to be inexpensive for what they offer and they do not have a "classic continental" breakfast.

They have a nice fitness room, and free internet and parking. Overall I found the hotel stay clean and pleasant.

I Will stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Joe B
Spruce Grove
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I just arrived home from a 2 night stay here. Upon leaving this morning I found a bed bug on the bed! I brought the bug down to the front desk and was told I "might" get a $20 per night discount. I had to leave right away and the front desk staff said he couldn't make any decisions about the discount and I would have to wait until a manager was there to make that decision. He did say that they would ensure that they put the room out of service and get it cleaned up properly. What disturbed me is that he didn't seem at all surprised or really that concerned.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank LORIT855
Toronto
Reviewed September 20, 2011

My wife and i stayed at this hotel and while she did not like it saying it felt "low-end." However I disagree. I found it to be quite pleasant. I found the room to be spacious, modern and clean. The internet access terminals in the lobby were handy and the restaurant downstairs served tasty affordable meals.

The cons:

Service issue: the fellow at the front desk was a bit slow at doing his job and when we brought up a billing issue, he couldn't do anything until another staff member showed up the next morning. No big deal, but it was an inconvenience.

Facilities: i didn't see the exercise room, so cannot comment on that. There is no pool. I'd say don't stay at this hotel if you are looking for a lot of "extras" such as pool, hot tub, bar, etc, but if you want a decent, clean place to stay, you'll like it.

The location was convenient being right in Hamilton and I went for a late night walk through the surrounding residential neighbourhood and felt quite safe.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed one night in Hamilton - 2 adults & 2 preschoolers, and found the Admiral Inn. It was a nice, no-frills hotel in a good location. The room had a fridge and microwave, and it was spotlessly clean. The staff was friendly. There was a huge park right across the street, although I didn't see a playground in it. I did find a small playground in the neighborhood behind the hotel, but it was pretty well hidden. The hotel has a restaurant which has coloring books and crayons for the kids. There is also a KFC, grocery store and McDonalds (with playplace) within walking distance. Parking is free and right beside the hotel. The only thing I didn't like was the windows didn't open in the room. However, the price was right and we would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mctet
Kingstown, St. Vincent
Reviewed July 4, 2011

When I visit my daughter in Hamilton I normally stay at the Visitors Inn, but since they were booked for the night I needed, I tried this place. I was a bit hesitant to book here, but was pleasantly surprised! This hotel turned out to be quite reasonably priced and had everything I needed. The room was clean, had a small fridge, a nice bright clean bathroom, a super comfy bed, and working wi-fi. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful.

My only complaint is that the window did not open, and I like my fresh air as I am not a fan of aircon. Don't hesitate to stay here if you need a place to bunk down in 'the Hammer'.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ivona B
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 28, 2011

This is a well managed property with a nice little in house restaurant/bar.
Nearby great running/biking park with trails.
One issue - their free wireless works fine on laptop but did not allow my iPhone 3GS [ iOS4 ] to connect. Check before you go if that is important.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business