“Hotel needs updating, rates too high”

Sheraton Hamilton Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Freeport, Maine
“Hotel needs updating, rates too high”
Reviewed April 6, 2009

The hotel overall could use a complete update. Carpets are dull, wallcoverings are dated, elevator floors and walls are dirty.

We were very lucky that we were able to get an upgrade to the club level (17th floor) which was quieter, and the rooms a bit more spacious, than the other floors. The hotel was full to capacity, mostly with families with kids (sports events going on in the area), and very noisy, with kids running through the halls and making noise. The pool area was also full of kids, and needed attention (cleaning). We have nothing against kids, but to see a filthy pool turned us off, so we didn't use the pool during our stay.

There is a lounge on the 17th floor that serves a continental breakfast, which was included with our upgrade. But we're not sure what people on the other floors were doing for their breakfast.

We paid allot for this hotel stay, definitely not a good value. In addition, they charged us $10 per day for parking, which is in a grungy underground lot. This lot is always full to capacity, and so we had to park quite far from the elevator that takes you to the hotel. We had to make several trips with our luggage, through a mall and food court, to get to the hotel. They also wanted to charge extra for internet.....so we just said no thanks, and had to do without.

As for the general surrounding area itself.....I would never return. There were very few restaurants and other ammenities in the neighbourhood. Swiss Chalet was the only thing open within walking distance.....how much chicken could we eat in 3 days?!?? We arrived late at night on a Friday night (9 pm), and just wanted to find a small bite and dessert after we finished checking in.....the only thing open was a Tim Hortons! Considering that this is the downtown hub of Hamilton, it's really sad.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MobyV

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
somewhere
Reviewed March 13, 2009

Spent one night at this hotel. Reserved a King size bed through Orbitz. Got what we booked. Room was fine, bed comfortable.

Good location in relation to the Copp, just around the corner, easy to walk to even in very cold weather. Restaurant closes at 10.30 PM which I felt was a bit early but not a deal breaker. Starbucks coffee available in room coffee maker.

Parking costs $9.99 CDN but would definately take advantage of it as it's underground and if you are unfamiliar with the area, it is easy and worth the price. JMO of course.

Next morning recieve a bill for the ENTIRE amount. Upon check out, they tried to tell me that they would only charge me once. I finally got them to understand that I had ALREADY paid for the room through Orbitz. As of today, hold is still on my card for FULL room amount. A call to Sheraton is awaiting resolution.

We would stay here again for another show at the Copp even with the bill issue. I would just be aware of it for next time and get it resolved at check in rather than check out.

Oh, and one odd thing. We were not asked for ANY form of ID at check in. I've travelled around the world and this was the first hotel I've checked into that they didn't ask for ID. Found it interesting.

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank meg27599
Moncton, NB
Reviewed February 21, 2009

We flew into Hamilton to see tan event with our preteen daughter. The hotel was a $40 cab ride from the airport, and there is no free shuttle like other area hotels. The lobby is grand, but there was no concierge to help with baggage and we had a lot. The rooms had double and not queen size beds, so they were to short for myself and my husband. The furniture is looking very shabby and needs to be replaced along with the carpet in the room, but the bath is spacious with a big tub. There is also a large closet to store suitcases and coats and boots.
We payed for a rate that included breakfast and that turned out to be a great value as breakfast cost $60 for three people. There is no fridge, and it is obvious there use to be when you open the cabinet. You must also pay for parking and we saw no valet for this service. The pool was large and clean but the hot tub could use replacement as it has several patches on it.

We were close to Copp's Coliseum but there is no direct access via the hotel. We expected to NOT have to wear our jackets to the event, but it was so cold we had to bundle up! There is a mall connected to the hotel, but we did little shopping. There is also a McDonald' there, which is great for kids and an Avis car rental (which we rented from instead of paying taxi fees to go places) as it was a good deal.

From previous reviews we expected to see lots of street people by the hotel, but we saw only smokers and walked to Swiss Chalet at 9 pm. All in all I must say we would choose different accommodations on our next trip because off the price, but we did love the staff who took time to be very kind to us.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank TruroGal
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 14, 2009

The Sheraton is the "business" address for anyone with meetings in DT Hamilton - the problem is that it is the only half-decent option.

The rooms are extremely tired and in need of a massive design overall and there is very little attention to details. For example, the window in my room was heavily stained, blocking the view outside. The work desk was discolored in many areas -making uninviting. The carpet is the common area was "bumpy" as if it had survived a flooding and never replaced. For all of the above, I have always found this hotel to be terrible and reflects very badly on my overall impression of Starwood properties - Starwood should either sell this hotel to another chain willing to upgrade this hotel or do it themselves.

As far as location is concerned, it is convenient for those that needs to conduct business in DT Hamilton but this is not the "nicest" area in Hamilton and although not dangerous, one may not feel 100% safe walking alone in the area at night.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank ottwatrvllr
Ontario
Reviewed February 5, 2009

Dowtown Hamilton is not to be desired. Surrounding the hotel are many homeless people and beggers. As well, we were looking for a restaurant dowtown and all we could find were pizza /pita shops and boarded up stores so we ended up going to the hotel restaurant for dinner, which was substandard.

The menu was very limited and did not have any vegetarian meals. The menus were in paper, which was okay for a Casey's, but not when your paying $25 dollars a plate. The service was atrocious and would definitely not recommend dining at the hotel's restaurant.

The hotel room had coffee stains and their were holes in the duvet. Further, the lighting in the room was terrible and the blinds did not shut at night so it was difficult to sleep. Both me and my partner only slept a few hours all night. Also, the heating vent was extremely loud and woke us up constantly through the night.

The pool at the hotel was okay, however the hot tub was not clean.

If your looking for a hotel close to the Convention Centre then the hotel is in a good location. I would not advise going to Jackson's square as there are only dollar shops and hamilton is "scary" downtown.

The highlight of the trip was the Japanese restaurant down the road, Kampai Japanese Restaurant , 236 King Street. The service and food was excellent and would return to Hamilton just to go back their again.

Overall, I would not recommend the hotel especially for the value since we paid 200 CAD/night. I would rate this hotel as a 2.5 star and definitely not up to Sheaton standards.

• Liked — proximity to the covention centre
  • Disliked — cleanliness, service, restaurant
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Ontario519
Windsor
Reviewed January 8, 2009

my husband and I and our 14 year old son stayed at this hotel for a hockey tournament.Dec. 11/08 for 3nights. My husband didn't sleep 2 nights of the 3. There was teenager partying all hours of the night.slamming doors. ( pre prom parties) There was guys trying to sell our boys stuff in the hallways, One of our hockey coaches went to make coffee and a bag of something in the coffee maker. teenagers tried to start a fight with a couple of other dads in the hotel. My husband went to talk to the hotel manager at 1 am about the noise the manager was rude and un sympathetic. What happened with in this hotel that weekend was not for young boys eyesit was terrible. When you are paying anywhere form 150.00 to 250 dollars a night this is wrong we will never stay at this hotel again even if they paid us too. Beware if you have chilodren DO NOT stay at this hotel i wouldn't recemmend this hotel to anyone of any age. This hotel doesn't give the Sheraton a good name. We called the head off when we returned home and got no where with them either . We travel for sports alot and this has got to be the worst experience at a hotel we have ever had. Will not stay at a sheraton in the near future anywhere.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed December 2008
3 Thank windsorhockeymom
Canada
Reviewed November 23, 2008

My husband, two children, and I were staying in Hamilton for one night to see an event at Copps Coliseum. e chose the Sheraton for several reasons, first being that it was close to the event center, and second being that it is the Sheraton for crying out loud - you expect a certain quality from a name that you trust.

I have read the other reviews on here and I am sorry but I just can't fathom how one could have a good stay in this hotel.

My biggest problems:

Filthy Room - Stains on carpet, hairs on bathroom sink and soap dish, no garbage bags in the container (the containers were filthy).

Staff - Lack of knowledge, help, or even caring at all made for this stay to be an unpleasant one. We asked one of the customer service girls to recommend a restaurant for families...she could clearly see my 3 year old son with me. She told me that she knew a great family restaurant and we followed her advice. The great "family" restaurant she sent us to was a bar/pub which was hardly a good choice for my children.

Location is really not that great, parking is confusing, the hotel is attached to a mall and we noticed a lot of people just "strolling" through the hotel.

My other problem was the other guests, around 10 at night a large group of drunk people carried on in the halls every half hour or so until 4am. Yelling, jumping, etc.

Then again, I am comparing this hotel to Sheraton Niagara....perhaps I set my standards too high for Hamilton?

• Liked — Location to Copps Coliseum
  • Disliked — The hotel, the staff, the room...
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank hummingbird0414