“Nice”

Sheraton Hamilton Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I've been using trip advisor for years. I figured it was time to give back by writing some reviews. I have stayed at this hotel several times for business. In the past the rooms were mediocre, at best, as they were run down with peeling wallpaper and frayed carpets. I stayed January 23, 2013 in room #1111 and was pleasantly surprised. The room and bathroom had been recently renovated and looked luxurious. The room had a nice desk area for working and was equipped with a nice sized flat screen TV with nice clear cable, and the king sized bed was more comfortable than my own bed. The hotel is connected to a mall and there are reasonably priced places to eat nearby. The rate was $124.00 including tax and heated underground parking was an additional $11.30 tax incl. This hotel should be good for the next few years until it starts to get run down again ;)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Chris V
Meghan B, Starwood Hotels at Sheraton Hamilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Chris V,
Thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by all of our renovations. We have put a lot of time in renovating our guestrooms, fitness centre, pool, and restaurants and it is great to hear that our guests are enjoying our new look. We are glad that you found our location convenient and were easily able to access the mall. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Hamilton.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

The Sheraton Hamilton is a pretty nice business hotel, located right in the heart of the downtown commercial district. While we had a very nice room and the staff was pleasant, the hotel maybe takes itself and its brand affiliation a little too seriously in this sleepy little industrial hamlet, and could be better if it loosened up a little! Read on for more:

LOCATION:
The hotel is pretty much dead-center in the commercial heart of Hamilton. A mere block away from City Hall, and attached to Jackson Square, Jackson Square Mall, and the Copps Coliseum. Arriving by car, it will take you about an hour from downtown Toronto, or also about an hour from the Niagara Falls / Buffalo border. Because it's in the center of town, you do have to spend a bit of time weaving around on one-way local surface streets to get to either the QEW or 403 highways, so make sure you have good directions to navigate the city center.

PROPERTY:
The hotel is a simple high-rise building on the north side of the street. The lobby is at ground level, with the restaurant and lounge one story up. Guest rooms and other amenities are on floors 3-18. Club floors are levels 17-18, with the Club Lounge on 17, overlooking the harbor. There is a large parking garage below the hotel (with a really tiny/narrow garage entrance at street level). A small off-brand mall is attached, and the Copps Coliseum is located directly behind the hotel across the square.

AMENITIES:
This is where the Sheraton Hamilton really falls flat. It's one thing to nickle-and-dime visitors when you're in a bustling, highly-competitive city like Toronto. However, in Hamilton -- especially in the winter season, to the extent that industrial Hamilton has an "off season" -- the place seemed nearly dead empty. Maybe when there's a major event at the Coliseum or some other event in town where space is at a premium, charging for every little thing would be justifiable... But in January, the parking lot was nearly empty, and we saw maybe another dozen people during our entire stay. As a result, charging $11.29 (including tax) per night for parking is basically just a capricious cash-grab... Internet service was included with club-level rooms, but was otherwise $10/day. Charging for Internet is particularly annoying given that while it worked in the room, trying to use the WiFi service in public areas like the lounge kept failing, as the network would not allow us to stay logged-in and kept asking over and over for our room number and name.

Other Sheraton-standard wallet-lifters were also were included -- the club level room included breakfast in the club for 2 people, consisting of coffee, tea, oatmeal, fruit and an assortment of pastries and breads. But they make you sign a "bill" that pretty obviously encourages staff tipping, and points out that your "free" breakfast has a value of $16 per person (which would be charged if more than 2 people per room were eating it...)

As noted, this kind of charging is annoying but an unfortunate part of hotel life in major cities these days. To encounter this kind of nickle-and-diming in a town like Hamilton is pretty much just an insult, and visitors should consider their tolerance for this sort of thing before staying here, as opposed to the many other hotels and chains in the area that include these amenities for free.

The lounge on the second floor offers a full bar service. Their specialty drinks list runs pretty heavily to tropical and other strongly-flavored "tiki drinks", and is only open until 11pm most nights. There is a full-service restaurant that serves 3 meals a day at typical hotel prices.

There is a fitness center including an indoor pool and whirlpool, with hours from 6-11 daily. There is a small business center with computers and a printer available just outside the lounge on the 2nd floor.

ROOMS:
The club-level room was excellent, and up to Sheraton standard. The large, very comfortable King bed was in good condition and clean. The room had a fully-functional work desk area with plenty of outlets. There was another reading chair and side table also in the room. Lighting was the one area that was a little weird - a sort of mish-mosh of lamps and wall fixtures in the room, each with a slightly different "color" of CFL bulb... so some parts of the room were fluorescent blue while others were orangey. It was just a little weird...

The bathroom was also excellent, with plenty of hot water and good water pressure. Plenty of amenities were provided in the room, including things one would normally need to ask the front desk for, like shaving foam. Two terrycloth bathrobes were provided.

STAFF:
The hotel's staff were friendly, and (supporting the sleepy off-season vibe) pretty much working solo the entire time we were there. There was one bartender holding down the bar and lounge, and never more than one person at the front desk. That being said, there was never a line or a wait either, so it was sufficient!

Overall, the room and building was everything one would expect from a Sheraton-branded hotel. Comfort and convenience, with some nice upgrades to furniture and fixtures that make the stay nice. Unfortunately, the "downtown" location is apparently sufficient justification for the property to charge for every little service... next time, we'll probably stay in one of the other nearby hotels that include most or all of these services gratis, and forgo the scenic 17th-floor view of the east Hamilton industrial wastelands.

Recommended for business travelers on a corporate contract, but independent travelers can do as well or better elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Meghan B, Starwood Hotels at Sheraton Hamilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Darlox,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a robust review, we really appreciate your feedback!! We are happy that you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms, friendly staff and full service amenities. We understand why you had concerns over the cost of parking and internet, next time you are in town I would recommend considering our parking and internet package on our special offers page to save time and money. We also encourage you to try the free internet in our Link@ Sheraton lounge in the lobby. We would love to welcome you back next time you are in Hamilton and make sure we exceed your expectations.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our large group had taken over the hotel, most likely causing an incredible number of complaints from any non-MBA guests. Regardless, the hotel was always clean and tidy. Our rooms were in good shape, cleaned and tidied daily, and a standard size.

For Hamilton this is a very nice hotel. Full service: pool, hot tub, restaurant, conference space, etc. and there is a bridge to the convention centre! One weird thing is that there are no stairs that exit into the lobby. You have to take the elevator even if you are on the 3rd floor.

I would recommend for anyone who needs to be on business in downtown Hamilton.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I recently stayed here and had a nice stay. The Lobby is very nice, and the bar on the second floor, although a little small is pretty inviting. The room was a good size, the bed comfortable and everything was clean. The TV should have HD channels and maybe a few more plugs near the bed, but everything else was good.

The hotel is attached to a mall, although it is a little run down and there are no name brand stores. There is a drug store, and a small food court (though the food I had there was only barely acceptable). There is a farmer's market in the mall, and if you're looking for food, that's where you need to go! I had a few things, and was not dissapointed. It was also nice to walk around.

Parking is under the hotel, and shared with the mall, and the arena next door.

Overall, if you have to be downtown Hamilton, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Syed G, General Manager at Sheraton Hamilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and liked the downtown location. It’s true that the attached Mall has basic shopping facility. Farmer’s market is a better option and we are glad that you had pleasant experience there. There are other options available within a short distance. Please ask one of our associates to provide you with directions when you are back in Hamilton!!
We thank you for your comments and look forward welcoming you back!!

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I were looking for a hotel last minute as we drove down from Toronto without booking anything in advance. We decided to choose the Sheraton as it was in a great location and we didn't know where any of the other hotels were located. I found reception very rude as I walked in. Did not recieve a warm greeting, pretty much was ignored while 3 of them were having a chat. So I ended up getting the room finally. She didn't even ask what type of room I wanted, beds, etc. 'the simple standard questions'. It just looked like she didn't want to be there. No complaints about the room. Very big and spacious, was also clean, except when finding a coat hanger hanging on the drapes, found that weird, I expect that to be in the closet. Not on a curtain. I didn't eat here, so not sure how the food is. The lobby is nice looking and the doorman was very friendly. Would I stay here again? If the price is right and if front desk learns some better customer service skills.

• Stayed: December 2012
Syed G, General Manager at Sheraton Hamilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I am sorry that you did not receive warm greetings at check in. We assure you this is not a norm here at the Sheraton Hamilton. We are genuinely committed to excel overall guest experience. We work hard with our associates to welcome guests with warm greetings! We are pleased that you liked our Downtown location in Hamilton and we look forward welcoming you back!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed at the Hamilton Sheraton on December 14th for the first time but hopefully not the last. I had high expectations from this hotel and I am happy to report that I was not disappointed. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who wants to stay in Hamilton for several reasons. First and foremost is the amazing staff and their relentless attention to customer service. I told Cyndy and Leana at the front desk that I wanted a room where the internet connection was strong and they went above and beyond to find me a room that was clean, prepared, and with, of course, a strong internet connection. Not more then minute after I arrived in my room, I got a call from Cyndy asking me if the room met my expectation. I was delighted to tell her that I was indeed happy. It was not just the front desk stuff, but everyone from the door staff to the General Manager made my stay at the Hotel as good as it could get. The location is another great attribute for this hotel. It is centrally located with a connected parking lot and nearby all the restaurants and amenities. Onsite, you can expect to find several restaurants that will cater to the most challenging taste buds. I had the Salmon and my complements go out to the chef or whoever prepared the meal. Last but not the least, it is connected to a mall and you can simply walk and shop till you drop without stepping a foot outside. I myself changed currency, bought several items I had forgotten to bring with me, and got a hair cut. Overall, not only I enjoyed my stay but I checked out looking clean cut and feeling good because of my amazing experience at the Hotel. Two thumps up.

Room Tip: Corner suites and rooms tend to have the strongest internet reception.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for sharing your experience! Comments such as yours mean so much to our Team here at the Sheraton Hamilton. We strive to thrive the best guest experience here at the Sheraton Hamilton. The associate’s names you mentioned will be recognized for the service they provide you!
We thank you for your comments and look forward welcoming you back!

Reviewed December 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hamilton Sheraton in December 2012 for the first time. We have gone to Hamilton for many events but have never stayed overnight before, but are so happy we decided to stay over at the Sheraton hotel this time. We plan to stay at the Hamilton Sheraton when we attend events in Hamilton in the future because of the wonderful time we had this past stay.
First off, the hotel is very nice, we enjoyed the bar, the large windows over looking the street are nice. We also liked the closeness to both Hamilton Place and Copps. The Sheraton beds are the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in at any hotel, they really are amazingly comfortable.
In the morning when I was planning to walk up the street to get coffee, Matthew from the front desk informed me that the hotel was attached to the indoor mall, which was great, since it was cold out and I had not put on my coat. I am very impressed Matthew took the time to go the extra mile for the hotel guests. Matthew approached me with this information as I was heading out the front doors into the cold, I’m so thankful he took the intuitive to help out a guest who didn’t even realized she needed his help. lol
We had supper at the restaurant that night, and had such a pleasant dinner, in large part because of our waitress. Firstly we really liked the restaurant, the food was excellent and fairly priced. But the high point of our meal was our waitress, she was very efficient, professional, sociable and friendly, she truly made our night. We were so impressed by her great service and her friendly attitude. Our waitress that night was Chelsea. Not only did we get great service at supper in the restaurant from Chelsea, later that night as we were getting on the elevator, Chelsea took the time to come over and ask how we were enjoying our stay.
Chelsea and Matthew truly made the extra effort for the guests, Chelsea is such a pleasant and sweet young lady. The service they gave helped to make our stay at The Hamilton Sheraton such an enjoyable stay, that we plan to stay again at The Hamilton Sheraton the next time we are in Hamilton for an event.
I would highly recommend The Hamilton Sheraton Hotel, the hotel is very nice and has the most comfortable beds, it is in an excellent location near the entertainment venues, it is also attached to the inside mall, it has a cool bar, and the restaurant has great food and fair prices. And on top of all that, The Hamilton Sheraton has some really great staff members, that really go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple