“Nice place”

Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Moose Jaw, Canada
“Nice place”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great quiet hotel,excellent if you have work to do. Only problem is access to hotel

Room Tip: Be sure to next door at Golden Griddle, almost like home made and service is fantastic
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Huntlg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed at this hotel as part of a hockey team. The front was very helpful when I asked to change rooms because of my daughter's need for a fridge and microwave for her gluten-free food. Vanessa was very kind and very accommodating. The breakfast was as expected from a HI Express. A little more fruit would be nice. The rooms were good but the bathroom is starting to show a little wear. It needs grout work.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Laval, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Room was smelly, very very small, bathroom was the size of wardrobe.
Noisy hvac system. Bed was ok. Internet not working last night.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear isa155029,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am deeply sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us. We take all comments seriously and welcome any opportunity to improve. I apologize for the problems you encountered with the internet. If there is any thing we can do to make your next stay more comfortable. Please do not hesitate to ask.

Katie J
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Hamilton hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I have been to the hotel a few times now and I must say the service is fantastic. The staff is very attentive and personally wants you to enjoy your stay. I look forward to coming back every time. This hotel is in a great location for when I need to be in Hamilton or if I am travelling between Niagara and Toronto or anywhere in Ontario.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I selected this hotel for nothing more than a bed to sleep in the night before a sports event in Hamilton. I frequent the city for this and in the past we've found most Hamilton hotels only average, yet overpriced. I know people who have stayed here in the past and for the price, I thought it would be a reasonably priced place to grab a night's sleep.

The hotel is tucked away in an industrial area. Trust your GPS, it will get you there, though you might think you're on the wrong track initially.

I arrived at about 5:30 p.m. and a friendly woman at the front desk checked me in. Lobby was bright and clean. Coffee and cookies were sitting out. Check in was quick, no issues at all. I was given room 309 -- queen bed with a sleeper sofa -- and the hotel fulfilled my request to be away from elevators and vending/ice machines.

Elevators worked well and were clean, as was the third floor hallway. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the condition as I expected it to be a bit rougher from other reviews. Room was average -- clean enough, no bed bugs, nice newer flat screen TV. Sleeper sofa also appeared to be in excellent shape, extra pillows were found in the dresser drawers. Bed was comfortable. Shampoos, conditioners, soap, sewing kit and shower cap in the bathroom. No plug for the tub, but enough towels for all.

I tucked in, along with the other adult and one child I had with me. Since they had to compete in the morning, lights were out by 10:30 and all were asleep by 11:30 p.m. I remember thinking "Wow, this is nice quiet hotel." I'll note I was suffering from a cold and took a healthy dose of NyQuil before retiring, so when I say I was sound asleep I really was OUT COLD!

Until about 1:53 a.m. That is when the wedding guests returned to the hotel. What sounded like a group of about 20 were obviously drunk and speaking quite loudly, slamming doors, yelling, banging on walls. I could tell by the sound of the slamming doors they had flipped the door locks out to keep the doors open so people didn't have to knock to get into the room. Party was in full swing! At 1:58 a.m. I called the front desk and advised them that it was really loud, and that I had athletes who needed to compete in the morning. The woman working the desk (Vanessa?) advised she would be right up to speak with them. True to her word, she came up. And left. And then I listened to these drunk fools blab on about what she had said to them, and how they were "just trying to have a good f&$%# time."

Have I mentioned the walls are thin and you can hear a lot of hallway noise? VERY THIN.

The party continued to rage. And by rage, I mean like a 400 acre forest fire or Category 5 hurricane. Not wanting to be an annoying guest, I lay awake -- along with the others in my room -- until 3 a.m., when I called the front desk again. I tried to interject with humour, telling the woman "They are having a lot more fun up then I will be when I get up at 6:30 a.m." She advised me she was coming right now. She did. She spoke to them. She left. They continued.

Let me say I've stayed in MANY hotels, and I've dealt with drunk partiers. Heck, there are times I've probably been one of them. This was not an instance where I could have stuck a pillow over my head and gone back to sleep. Or put earplugs in. Because that's what I would have done. I am fairly young still and lots of fun. But this was REALLY out of control.

The party continued to rage. It sounded like about 10 people were in the room next to us, loudly drinking and tossing what sounded like a ball against the wall. Others were in the hall. There was about four door slams per minute. Literally.

While this was going on, I kept hearing what I thought was a man screaming, or moaning. It was a windy night and I thought it could be the wind howling through the neighbouring industrial buildings so I wrote it off.

Finally, at 4 a.m. I called the front desk once more. I told the woman not to bother coming up to speak to them as what she had been saying had obviously had no impact, but to please record I had filed another complaint as I would be speaking with her about it in the morning when I checked out. She apologized once again and said she would do so.

A few minutes passed and I heard a few people saying their goodnights (thank GOD!) and the party seemed to be slowing. Don't get me wrong, it was still loud, but not over the top like before. But as the noise from neighbouring rooms and the hall began to lower, we realized that moaning noise we had been hearing was not the wind ... IT WAS COMING THROUGH THE VENT ABOVE THE MIRROR IN THE ROOM.

I don't know whether this man had enjoyed what obviously was an open bar, and was suffering from alcohol poisoning, or if he was on a bad drug trip, but it was like NOTHING I had ever heard before. So much that I grabbed my phone off the nightstand and recorded the sound as a voice note as I didn't think there was any way that anyone would believe it.

This is what I recorded: http://youtu.be/bxPKMmWCaTw

Really, I was in disbelief and I threw on a hoodie and a pair of shoes and headed down to the front desk to play my recording. I was met in the hall by two men in tuxedos who had the cahones to actually say hello and ask how I was. I got in the elevator with a friendly woman who turned out to be the one who was working.

When we got to the front desk, she began apologizing and was very sincere. In fact, she was near tears, telling me she didn't know what else to, that she had spoken to them so many times, that maybe she should call the police (in all honesty, the police should have been called). I played the recording and she was obviously stunned. She said my room would be comped and offered to move us to another floor so we could sleep. I turned down the offer as the one child with me had managed to fall back asleep and I wasn't prepared to wake her up.

I finally fell back asleep at after 5 a.m., only to get up at 6:30.

This was pretty much my worst hotel stay in my 30 years on this earth.

There were others in my group with me that night -- we had four rooms in total. One mother was originally given a non-smoking room that reeked of smoke, but she was happy with the hotel's response as she was moved, and upgraded, immediately. One other family noted their room was quite dirty, including a large black footprint in the bottom of the tub. Those in the last room said theirs was fine but said there was also wedding guests on their floor who partied loudly until the early hours as well.

The hotel itself was clean enough ... let's face it, we're not staying at a five-star here. Had this three-hour disaster in the middle of the night not unfolded, I would have probably given this hotel an average rating and considered it for a future stay. But because of the circumstances, I won't likely stay again and I have cancelled a reservation I had also made for one night in March. Again, the woman working that night was genuinely worried and apologetic but I truly believe she should have called the police when she realized she was unable to control the situation that was unfolding.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vespa07
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 31, 2011

The location is in an industrial area. The room was small and dated. The bathroom was dingy and tiny. The bed uncomfortable, the walls very thin. The breakfast was not appealing unless you like pre-cooked bacon, pancakes that drop out of a machine and stale coffee. I thought I'd have a bagle and fruit- sorry no fruit! Very unsatisfied!

• Stayed December 2011
Toronto
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I had read other reviews and was not expecting anything outstanding but I was very impressed with this hotel. The staff were all friendly and check-in went smoothly. The room was fine - clean and bright, firm beds with comfortable bedding and pillows marked "soft" or "firm". There was a plastic shower cap in the bathroom (unusual these days) and two containers of gentle, cleansing shampoo and conditioner, marked very clearly in large letters for those of us who don't wear our glasses into the shower!
Since I have stayed in many hotels that have outside lights keeping me up all night, I appreciated the curtains that closed well and blackened the room for sleeping.
Breakfast was very impressive. The pancake machine worked smoothly and produced two light and fluffy pancakes in minutes. There were eggs, breakfast meats, cereals, fruit, yogurts, warmed cinnamon buns and muffins, breads and juices. The tables were clean and the items quickly refilled.
The location was right by the highway and near Confederation Park, where we were headed. A large outlet mall is being built nearby so this might be a wonderful hotel to stay in for a shopping weekend.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple