“Unexpectedly impressed”

Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Hamilton
Toronto
“Unexpectedly impressed”
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I had read other reviews and was not expecting anything outstanding but I was very impressed with this hotel. The staff were all friendly and check-in went smoothly. The room was fine - clean and bright, firm beds with comfortable bedding and pillows marked "soft" or "firm". There was a plastic shower cap in the bathroom (unusual these days) and two containers of gentle, cleansing shampoo and conditioner, marked very clearly in large letters for those of us who don't wear our glasses into the shower!
Since I have stayed in many hotels that have outside lights keeping me up all night, I appreciated the curtains that closed well and blackened the room for sleeping.
Breakfast was very impressive. The pancake machine worked smoothly and produced two light and fluffy pancakes in minutes. There were eggs, breakfast meats, cereals, fruit, yogurts, warmed cinnamon buns and muffins, breads and juices. The tables were clean and the items quickly refilled.
The location was right by the highway and near Confederation Park, where we were headed. A large outlet mall is being built nearby so this might be a wonderful hotel to stay in for a shopping weekend.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarshaToronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Welland, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2011

The hotel was average overall.

When I arrived, their system was down so everything had to be manually done. The check-in was a bit slow due the system but the manager (I think) was very apolegetic and polite. The front staff was friendly which made the stay more enjoyable.

The room was ok. From previous reviews, I was already expecting the outdated decor so I wasn't surprised when I saw this. It's not terrible-just not where you would want to stay for a romantic getaway.

The room was clean except for the brownie that was missed under the bed by the cleaning staff.

The breakfast was very good as there are many options including hot options available. I stayed there for three nights and they would alternate daily a different styles of egg (scrambled and cheese omelette) and different meat (breakfast sausage and bacon). There were also cinnamon buns, bagels, cereal, muffins, oatmeal, fruit, and various beverage options. The breakfast is one of the most attractive features of this hotel.

The location was in an industrial area where the majority of hotel guests that I saw were male and probably truck drivers. There were also some men in business suits. The hotel is by Lococo's, many gas stations, and fast food restaurants. There is free parking infront of the hotel which is another attractive feature as many of the hotels in Hamilton charge for parking.

Overall, this hotel is ok and I wouldn't mind staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank tz26
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Booked in for a wedding weekend - note that the 4th floor use to be the smoking floor - there have been no changes to carpets/drapes/bedding so rooms still have a smoking odor. Other rooms however are good, breakfast is great, staff are wonderful! they rescued 2 people from stuck elevators over 3 days.

Thanks for the fresh cookies in the lobby.

enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Stay away from the 4th floor if you are not a smoker.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Thunder Bay
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I stayed here with a colleague all last week. The beds are quite nice, but the overall decor is rather dated - but that doesn't bother me. The biggest issue was the air conditioning. The thermostat on it was greatly affected by the outside temperature, so with the cooler night temperatures, it rarely kicked on unless it was turned really low. If we forgot to turn it back up, it ran full on all day with the hot temperatures outside - though not hot in the room since the AC was going full blast! It was pretty hot a couple of days, so this was quite annoying. The down button on the AC was well used and hard to find just the right spot to hit it to actually move it.
The other complaint was the cleanliness. The inner shower curtain can be removed and replaced with snaps - this was not done prior to our stay. It was VERY dirty. I'm not sure how a person ever gets to dirty, but they did and it was never cleaned and replaced. That was disappointing and sort of gross. There was even the impression of a dirty hand on it.
The staff was ho-hum. I've definitely stayed at places with nicer staff, and must say that it makes a huge difference to my stay.
When we walked down the hall in the morning, we noticed that most rooms had newspapers. We only received a newspaper on the very last morning (we were there 5 nights!) We had an upgraded room as well, so it was odd to not get a paper. They are available in the lobby, but again, just an annoyance more than anything.

On the flip side though, the breakfasts were alright. The breakfast room itself is nice also. We also liked that there were cookies in the lobby each evening when we returned. There was no tea in our room - so be sure to grab teabags from here.

Overall, the stay was okay - the AC was the main, and somewhat major, complaint. We had tried to get into the Comfort Inn but it was booked up, but should I need to stay there again next year, I will give Comfort Inn a try again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JRalli

Travelers are raving about these Hamilton hotels

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I'm glad we had a rental car because the hotel is located in an industrial area and there's very little around. There was free parking which was nice. The hotel itself was decent for a night's stay and the staff were friendly. If I were staying longer or didn't have a car, I would not stay at this hotel again. But for the price, it was fine for a night.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank LovingSunandSand
Reviewed May 19, 2011

This is the worst Hoilday Inn Experss I've ever stayed. The location of the hotel is behind all the industrial areas and warehouses. My room was not the greatest, the coffee machine was dirty and old. One day I woke up in the morning and found an insect crawling outside the drawers. The breakfast was alright, they ensure all foods were empty before bring the fresh ones.

• Stayed May 2011
Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2011

This hotel is old and tired and needs a big renovation. The bedding has been somewhat updated however the furniture is outdated, the bed was lumpy. My bathroom was dirty with spots on the toilet seat (God only knows!! )

The employee on check in was on a personal phone call and seemed annoyed to be interrupted by me. I would not stay here again.

The location is off the highway in an industrial area, if you are looking for a location that is convenient to restaurants, this is not it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business