“If this is the best Thai food in town, than Guelph really has a problem!”
Review of Sombat The Thai Guy - CLOSED

Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Rockwood
“If this is the best Thai food in town, than Guelph really has a problem!”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We went for lunch yesterday, because I when I have a cold nothing is better than Thai soup to help clear my sinuses and make me feel better. We had tried a Thai restaurant across from Stone Road Mall, which is pretty abysmal, so based on the excellent reviews this restaurant had received--we headed off for a good lunch.

Well, "Yuck" is all I can really say. The first thing that struck me when I came through the door is the overwhelming smell of "bad" fat--even through my clogged sinuses. It made me want to gag a little. But, I didn't let it deter me because I just wanted some soup--no fat involved. My husband ordered the chicken satay and spring rolls, and I ordered the hot and sour soup and tiger shrimp appetizer.

The hot and sour soup was so oversalted that I could barely finish it. The tiger shrimp--were not true tiger shrimp, which are known for being incredibly large, meaty shrimp. These shrimp were smaller than my little finger, not pink on the inside, but kinda grey. I could barely suck down my soup, but I needed to get some food into my system because I hadn't eaten breakfast. My husband gave up after the first couple of satay, and within a couple of hours was complaining of the heartburn the "fat" the satay were grilled in gave him.

Hey, I had diarrhea today, and all I had was the soup. We stopped for a second serving at night--again to help my cold, and by the dinner hour the soup was inedible. Twice as salty as lunchtime, and with some weird, sweet undertone in it.

If you want to taste what good Thai food really tastes like--drive up Guelph line to downtown Campbellville--the Thai food there is so fresh and appetizing. Then you will get an idea of what good, fresh Thai really tastes like--not some sodium, fat-laden, over-cooked mess tastes like!

The service was good, and the restaurant was clean, and it was certainly packed, but good service can never disguise really bad food. If this is the best Thai restaurant in town, we need a new one to start up--soon!

And to pay $35 dollars for three bad appetizers and some soup, c'mon....

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank Mike B

Moncton, Canada
“great thai food”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

recently in Guelph and tried this place based on trip advisor reviews
The food was fantastic. We have been to many thai restaurants in different countries and this place is one of the best. very tasty and affordable.

• Visited September 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Best Thai in town”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Sombat is the BEST Thai in town. We eat here almost monthly and have always had great meals. You will not be disappointed, in fact it will be difficult to stay away! Enjoy...

Visited August 2012
“One of the better Thai restaurants in Guelph”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Great food, great ambience and excellent service. Better thai restaurant than most in Guelph. Clean and nicely decorated so fit for a date or with family.

1 Thank ssawrup
Georgetown, Canada
“Excellent find for great tasting Thai Food”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Great find for Thai food in the Guleph area. Food is super good, and prices are reasonable. Their sweet and sour soup is really nice, and their pad thai is also very good. The atmosphere of the restuarant is nothing too special, but restaurant is clean and wait staff is very pleasant. When ordering spice go on the conservative side as their medium spice can have quite the bite. Worth trying at least once.

• Visited January 2012