“What a Gem!”

Woolwich Arms & Arrow
Ranked #6 of 381 Restaurants in Guelph
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Perhaps the Wooly concept is best represented by renowned Canadian artist Charlie Pachter's "Queen on a Moose" paintings. These pictures conveyed what would happen if a British pub was transferred to Canada. That pub would feature local foods, beverages and decor. It would be an "All-Canadian" pub featuring the best of the British pub culture. A "local" or home-base pub for its guests. The Woolwich Arrow was inspired by the Ontario micro-brewery "explosion" that occurred in the late 1980's. The brewery industry was dominated by 3 large companies for over 40 years until the start of the craft brewery phenomenon. Teaching a course on beers at the University of Guelph Bob Desautels was keenly aware of this development. When an opportunity to open a pub in downtown Guelph emerged he decided to feature only small micro-brews on tap. The rest is history!
Guelph, Canada
“What a Gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I had been wanting to go to this place since I moved to Guelph sin e it's in a beautiful century home.

A few of us went during jazzfest because a band we knew was playing so it was very busy. We didnt end up having to wait long for a table which was nice and the staff were keeping organized on who was waiting to be seated. It is a very small pub but that's part of why it's so quaint and interesting. It's very unpretentious, it's just a nice place to enjoy an evening.

Read previous reviews on here and complaints about the AC. You won't find AC in most English pubs (in England) so this wasnt a big shock to me, it's just part of the ambience.

Loved the menu, and the local sources of many menu ingredients. Also the organic options were superb. Ordered the chicken fingers which were probably the best chicken fingers I had ever eaten before

The beer menu is Canadian based, particularly Ontario craft brews.

My bill was a little steep for one beer and dinner but I would pay more for the quality of food that I got with locally sourced produce and meat so in the end it was worth it

1 Thank jenn3535

Toronto, Canada
“Cozy on a cold night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

I was delighted to see the menu selections of local food and beverage. Food was tasty, hot, nourishing and each item had a slight unexpected twist. Curry was amazing, meat pie good. Service was friendly and efficient. We will visit again.

Toronto, Canada
“Pub Grub with a Twist”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

The food here is good, I had the veggie burger (a lot os options!)and fries and my husband had the spicy burger both were very good but sadly I assume since it was busy the food arrived at our table just barely warm.
I was too hungry to say anything but I would still go back again I doubt this is the norm. It is a very popular Guelph restaurant for years.

Erin, Canada
“Interesting Place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

First of all the ambience of a pub in a century plus home is great. The parking is diificult especially on those hot summer nights. Remember the hot summer nights as the Woolwich has no air conditioning . Very crowded wgen we went but we got a talbe quite quickly. Wait staff were pleasant and oemwhat efficient.

When I first entered the dining area I noticed a very particular odor in the room, one that I smelt before but never in a pub or restaurant or fast food joint as they are all air conditioned. Luckly my wife did not notice.

Only Ontario craft brews sold here no British beers so I forgoed the pleasure of a "pint" as I find that Ontario "dark" beers have too much carbonation and at times have a unusally after taste.

My wife had the chicken/goat cheese wrap which was good, "real' chicken and a fairly large wrap. I had a pub staple: fish and chips. The fish batter was crisp and not greasy and being pickerel very tasty. The chips were nothing special and luke warm. My wife tried one and called over the waitress. She brought a plate for my fish and took the chips and coleslaw away. She returned with a soup bowl filled with hot chips but no coleslaw. When my wife reminded her she said she threw the cole slaw away. I finally got a small serving of coleslaw. So I ate my dinner from 3 "plates". The fish & chip portion was small especially for the price of $15 and being a pub.

Would I go back: NO. There are many pubs with cheaper prices, british beer and without that very perculiar aroma in the air because they are air condiitoned and have proper ventilation.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank normmork
Las Vegas, Nevada
“It's a pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

I visited this pub for dinner. It is a refurbished historic building which has kept the old charm. There are several dining areas, including one outside. The waitstaff were friendly and pretty efficient. The food arrived hot after a wait. I opted for the specialty dessert, strawberry rhubarb pie served with ice cream and whipped topping, which was wonderful. Parking is limited but there are parking lots nearby.

• Visited June 2013