“Local favourite!”

Ranked #6 of 385 Restaurants in Guelph
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Description: Perhaps the Wooly concept is best represented by renowned Canadian artist Charlie Pachter's "Queen on a Moose" paintings. These pictures conveyed what would happen if a British pub was transferred to Canada. That pub would feature local foods, beverages and decor. It would be an "All-Canadian" pub featuring the best of the British pub culture. A "local" or home-base pub for its guests. The Woolwich Arrow was inspired by the Ontario micro-brewery "explosion" that occurred in the late 1980's. The brewery industry was dominated by 3 large companies for over 40 years until the start of the craft brewery phenomenon. Teaching a course on beers at the University of Guelph Bob Desautels was keenly aware of this development. When an opportunity to open a pub in downtown Guelph emerged he decided to feature only small micro-brews on tap. The rest is history!
Guelph
“Local favourite!”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Always a good time. Best patio in Guelph! Service is always awesome!

Visited March 2012

Guelph, Canada
“Finally got to try it and won't be in a hurry to go back.”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I have worked in the Guelph area for years and never got the chance to eat here till the other week. Met up with the girls and decided to try something light. I ordered the mixed greens salad for $8.99 and had a piece of chicken added for a additional $4.99. The salad was very bland and so was the chicken. The chicken although was very tender and cooked perfectly lacked in the taste department. There was no seasoning, spice nothing....Blahhh. It was disappointing to say the least and also expensive. My friends had some sea salt and pepper chicken wings and were not overally impressed either. One found them kinda dry and tasteless but they did clean them up, lol. The service was excellent and the staff is quite pleasant.

My biggest complaint is we sat out on the patio on one of the evenings it was so mild for a March night. Cigarette smoking is allowed out there which is extremely disgusting and should not be allowed in my books. I understand that in a open patio setting it is allowed but I will never be able to enjoy this patio if I decide to go back again for that reason. Sorry don't want to be a second hand smoke statistic...

The decor of the restaurant is fantastic and feels very welcoming. I likely will give it a try again but will be eating inside so I can at least enjoy my meal.

Toronto, Canada
“Not so wild and wooly”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Very nice old British style pub in a beautiful old corner building located at the north end of down town Guelph
The owner's of The Wooly call their patrons guests, and they do make you feel like a guest..Coming from out of town we tried to make a reservation but they do not take reservations even from out of town visitors and they took two and a half hours to seat us and get us back out the door, so I guess it was like visiting someone's home. But lucky for us the atmospher is very nice, and we didn't mind the 30 minute wait at the bar, our bartender even had an Irish accent. They have an excallent selection of beers on tap and in bottles, including some local favorites.

Once seated we were placed in the bussiest of the three dinning areas where the staff have to come to and fro to get in and out of the kitchen, so our room seemed to have a feel of being hectic. The westerly room seemed to be the more calmer of the three. It would have suited our group better. However it was still a nice table with lots of room and privacy to talk. It did take a very long time to get our dinner and when it finally arrived my cheese burger bun was cold. (not room temp) cold, but the patty was hot, so I let it sit for awhile to warm it up, which considering how long it took to get there, that was better then sending it back into the vortex of the kitchen. I must say everyone loved their food including me. There was a folk band starting to play in one of the other rooms (I think they start at 9) but we did not stay to here them. All-in-all it was a very good night, and I would recomend The Wooly but be prepaired to wait, at leasat for you meal if it is a Saturday night. I'm sure on a regular weeknight things would run much smoother.

We liked The Wooly a lot and hope to eat there again soon.

Kitchener
“All 100 mile food. Awesome!”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Local beers and ales, innovative food: buffalo, lake fish, local microbreweries - the whole package. Patio a bit dodgy, but the regulars swear by the ambiance.

Guelph
“Little for a lot of money”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I used to really like the Woolwich Arrow. However, some time ago they changed their menu slightly and all of the sudden increased their prices. Recently, I had a spinach beet salad and for almost $12 I'd have expected a bit more. I love toasted almonds (and the menu said it would have them) - but they weren't toasted. Overall a very bland little bit of salad. I know it's not supposed to be gourmet.- it's a pub after all! Their beer selection is still great!

3 Thank desreview