“Great place, Great food, amazing staff”
Review of Babelfish Bistro - CLOSED

Babelfish Bistro
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Babelfish Bistro features "upscale comfort foods" served in a cozy urban room, accompanied by excellent service. Compliment your meal with wines from our exceptional selection, followed by decadent house made desserts. We are the perfect size for private gatherings of 25 to 40. Reserve online with the "Reservation Widget" on our web page up to 14 days in advance!
Reviewed January 15, 2011

I have been to Babel fish more times that I remember over the past 3 years. The food is delicious, the wine selection is thoughtful and the waiter (who is also the owner) is friendly, nice, and very knowledgeable about his wine. The place itself is sort of small and that is the main reason why my girlfriend is not the biggest fan of the place. I like it for preciously that reason, it feels homey and non pretentious. So it really depends on what it is you are looking for, if you are looking for a good relaxed atmosphere with amazing food then this is the place to go, if you are looking for a big place with lots of gold and glitter then Other Brothers or La cucina might be better for you. I like Babel fish simply because it is a relaxed atmosphere good for those nights that you want to go out and enjoy yourself but you don't want to make a big deal out of it.
My only problem with the place is that they rarely, if ever, update their menu (with the exception of daily or weekly specials). Also, they lack exotic menu items that those of us who are adventures with food enjoy having around.
In short, this is a great place for a nice food and to enjoy your friends' company or have a non assuming dinner with a special someone, the wine selection is the best in the city and the food is delicious. It is not the best place for very large parties (over 10-12 people) or if you want to spend money to impress those who are not into good food but just go out for the atmosphere of the place. The quality is the best in the city, but unfortunately it is not quit varied.

1  Thank AmirMostaghim

Reviewed November 6, 2010

Fusion cuisine, inventively prepared with fresh ingredients. Served up in a nice, somewhat funky atmosphere in a renovated old storefront in downtown Guelph. Not a huge menu, but diverse and delicious. Service is excellent. One of our faves.

1  Thank gourmetviking
Reviewed August 29, 2009

The Babel Fish Bistro was really disappointing. We had the special the quail with German potato salad, the quail was over cooked and dry no flavour once so ever and the potato's very hard. The server was to busy to care just a quick sorry i will let the kitchen know and left. We had to ask for the bill and ask for drinks refills. I expect this quailty of service and food in a cheap cafe or fast food but not in a expensive bistro! If you want a quiet romantic meal look else where, the tables are far to close together table for two feels like a table for 4.

3  Thank gabe05
DTRB55, Owner at Babelfish Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2011

Hi there,

I'd like the opportunity to buy you dinner at Babelfish Bistro, no strings attached. I know it's been a long time since you had your unsatisfactory visit with us but I'd like to try and make it up to you if possible. I wasn't there on the night in question and that's always bothered me and after seeing this review, which I see quite frequently, it continues to bother me. I know we aren't for everyone but I also know your unfortunate experience is not the norm here. I'd love the chance to right a wrong. If your interested you can send me an address and I'll mail out a Gift Card for dinner for two or an email address and I send a dinner for two certificate you can print out and use at your convenience. I can be reached at babelfish@rogers.com or 80 Macdonell Street, Guelph, ON N1H 2Z6 519-826-6709

Rich Brown
Babelfish Bistro

Reviewed November 17, 2008

Guelph is an esoteric, great community, with this underadvertised gem of a restaurant with an odd name.
Every single morsel of food I've eaten at the Babel Fish Bistro has been superbly prepared and presented.
Located at 80 Macdonnell Street in downtown Guelph, this quaint fine dining establishment is anything but 'weird or funky' as the name might make you think. It is definitely mainstream, modern and tastefully decorated.
I can't imagine that you could fit more than 50 diners in their at once, so make your reservations early.
The owner / chef frequently serves and is very happy to accomodate you.
The food is absolutely delicious and quite reasonably priced given the quality of your experience.
I'm not experienced at writing restaurant reviews, but I figured if I felt strongly enough to post a bad review, I might as well start posting reviews about some of the best restaurants I've been to, and this is definitely one of them.

2  Thank SWONTraveller