“The BEST Hotel We've EVER Stayed At! Five stars not enough!”

Staybridge Suites Guelph
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Guelph
Reviewed January 1, 2011

***To start, I feel that Tripadvisor must allow the review writers an opportunity to return to a review they've written so as to say that a previous problem reported has been satisfactorily rectified.
I wrote about an issue in my last review on the Staybridge Suites that I felt the hotel could have done better. After the manager, Benny Deviasi, saw my concerns presented on TripAdvisor, he PROMPTLY contacted me and had already, MORE than satisfactorily, rectified the issue quickly, professionally, and in a very respectful and courteous manner. I immediately came back to this site to report how impressed and happy I was with Benny's efforts and generosity, but TripAdvisor doesn't allow you to rewrite a review less than three months after the initial report. That is not fair to those hotel managers who are prompt and diligent in their efforts as it might appear to other readers that some managers "drag their feet" when the result in this case is exactly the opposite.
I wish to say a sincere "Thank You" to Benny Deviasi of the Staybridge Suites in Guelph for his genuine concern and extremely quick response to my concerns.

Now for the review of my most recent stay.

There is NOTHING I can say about this hotel that is even slightly negative. Staybridge Suites in Guelph has become mine and my wife's "Home away from HOME".
We spent 5 nights there this time, Dec22nd-Dec27th, due to my wife having to visit the hospital down there on a regular basis. We both ended up ill with influenza for our entire stay, yet the amenities and generosity of this hotel's program and a superb and attentive staff, we still were able to enjoy ourselves within the hotel.
Get this, we were able to partake of an excellent chili, salad, and garlic bread supper, non-alcoholic drinks included, on Wednesday, at no cost, an excellent dinner of meatloaf, rice, and salad, non-alcoholic drinks, on Thursday, and a great dinner on Saturday with ham, turkey breast, stuffing, cranberry, vegetables, salad, non-alcoholic drinks, and desert, again NO COST! Going back for seconds and thirds was no cost either! And their "continental breakfast" is anything but "continental". It does have your regular fare of cereal, muffins, boiled eggs, but add to that fresh omelettes, crispy thin, lean bacon to die for, hot oatmeal porridge, cinnamon french toast, belgian waffle machines, whip cream and awesome strawberry sauce, hash brown patties, breakfast sausages, fresh bagels and texas toasts, yogourt, fresh apples, huge oranges, condiments like grated cheese and salsa, syrups, several types of tea and Wolfgang Puck coffees, hot chocolate, 1% and 2% milk, four types of fruit juices, and even fountain soda. Plus the tea and coffee and hot chocolate is there 24 hours for your refreshment! There's also a little convenience store available 24/7. Pets are allowed for a reasonable charge as well.

The staff is superb, gracious, friendly, helpful, courteous, every one of them! Whenever I called for anything or needed items, they were there with the items almost immediately. The first night I was there, the caulking had come off from the tub spout and I was worried that it might break the shower lever so I called the front desk and it was repaired properly, quickly, and neatly, and they even offered to move us to another room.
The hotel is as clean as they come, the lobby is pleasant, there's a theatre room with five large leather recliners and a 60" t.v. where you can watch dvd's, rent an in-house movie for you and your family, or just relax and watch t.v.
They've upgraded their free computer access and it is very fast for a hotel. They provide free laundry facilities too! The pool area is nice and cosy and not overloaded with chlorine. It's kept at a nice temperature and there's a very clean fitness room that has several up-to-date machines, a t.v., and a water cooler.
The rooms are spacious, immaculately clean, and the beds are VERY comfortable. With my wife and I so sick, the softness of the sheets, the big warm quilt on top, the comfort of the mattress, and the plentiful pillows all made it easy to get the rest we needed while there. The rooms have a medium size fridge with icemaker, a dishwasher, dishes and silverware, a microwave, double cooking elements, a coffeepot, toaster, free coffe packs and other necessities that made it unnecessary for us to even have to leave the hotel due to our illness.

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. Someone said to me while there that the location was bad, but with excellent access to highway 6, the Stone Road mall which has every store you need, dozens of eat in and take out restaurants within 5 minutes of the hotel, I think the location is excellent as it isn't near any noisy factory, is far enough from the highway, and the area at night is extremely quiet.

I cannot thank the staff and Benny enough for making this hotel our favourite hotel of anywhere we have travelled ever. It truly is our home away from home when we're in the Guelph area and would NOT consider staying anywhere else while in the area!

Suggestions: a slightly better job vacuuming the elevator rugs/corners.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank krazykritik
bennidevasia, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Guelph, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

Thank you very much for your Candid review.We are delighted that you enjoyed your second stay with us.We look forward to Welcoming you again on your next visit to Guelph.

Sincerely

Reviewed November 17, 2010

This hotel just feels right, starting in the parking lot, through the lobby, hallways and room. Its laid out sensibly and just feels comfortable. The rooms make sense - the TV swivels so you can watch from the bed or the couch. The kitchenette has a full-sized fridge, stove top and microwave. The breakfast is second-to-none with eggs and bacon cooked perfectly, french toast, make your own waffles, fruit, muffins, yoghurt and much more. All the staff were friendly and helpful.
The only downside is the noise from the hall. You can hear conversations and doors closing very clearly. I do think my email may have been hacked after logging in at their business centre though I'm not positive but it was the only less-secure place I've used in months.
Apart from that, its a very good place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo

Thank you very much for your detailed review.We have gone through your comments in detail and assure you of corrective measures taken for all your suggestions.We assure you of our best services at all times and look forward to Welcoming you on your next visit to Guelph.

Sincerely

Reviewed September 29, 2010

My travel partner and I stayed in the Jacuzzi Suite with full kitchen for 3 nights. First of all, the hotel is situated in a very quiet industrial area. You would need a car to get around to all amenities. Most importantly, we were amazed at the cleanliness and spaciousness of the room! There was one sofa, a flat screen TV and a Queen sized bed. In the other room, there was a desk close to the Jacuzzi.

The kitchen had a full-sized fridge with freezer, toaster, coffeemaker, cookware, a complete set of cutlery and dinnerware, and a two burner stovetop. We cooked our meals thanks to a nearby Food Basics grocery store. I didn’t try the complimentary breakfast buffet. However, my travel partner thought it was well-organized with a waffle maker, small yogurt cups, and a bowl of fruit as extra bonuses apart from the usual eggs and bacon meal.

The Jacuzzi was a little narrow yet it worked very well! It was modern with nice tiles and mood lighting surrounding it.

Wi-Fi is free – a great necessity for any busy person. To our surprise, there was an Ethernet cable for you to plug into the computer – all for free.

It seemed that housekeeping is based on a “call if you need assistance” idea. That is, they won’t go into your room unless you need a request such as new towels or bed linen.

Much to our surprise, there was a laundry room for free use. Next to it was a small gym which we used. The machines were maintained very well with complimentary towels and a TV for entertainment. Across from it was a small and shallow-only swimming pool.

The staff was friendly and extremely helpful.

The only minor annoyance was the lack of a dining set and other comfy chairs. We had to move the sofa and two small tables together to form a makeshift dining area. With all the extra room available, there should be more furniture.

This place is certainly ideal for travelers looking for a place for a long term stay. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
bennidevasia, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Guelph, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2010

Thank you very much for your detailed review.We would love to host you on your next visit to Guelph.

For the Team at Staybridge Suites-Guelph/Waterloo

Reviewed September 17, 2010

I stayed here last week for one night only (unfortunately) during a week-long trip. I stayed in different hotels each night and I must say the Staybridge in Guelph was definitely my favourite of them al.! I got a spotless room with a very comfy queen bed, kitchenette, bathroom and a great area for make-up/hair! The staff were friendly and helpful - I appreciated the phone call a short while after check-in to make sure all was okay with the room.
As for location, it is a little bit out of the way - seemed to be beside some sort of industrial estate, but this was no problem for me, especially since I had rented a car. Breakfast was delicious and especially loved the waffles!

I'll definitely be looking out for Staybridge suites in future and would recommend it to all.

• Stayed: September 2010

For the Team at Staybridge Suites-Guelph/Waterloo

Reviewed August 26, 2010

My friends and I stayed here for a wedding and we had a great time. The service was great although we did encounter one guy on reception whose personality was....lacking. He wasn't espeically helpful either. When we called to reception and asked if he knew of any restuarants that delivered he just said "No." Which I thought was a little odd. He's a local and didn't know of places that delivered? Not even a pizza joint?? We found a Dominoes flier in our room and just ordered that.

We really enjoyed the breakfast. I think it starts abround 6.30-7 and finishes around 10.30-11 so plenty of time to get something to eat even if you had too many bevvies the night before. They also offer a sundown dinner free of charge during the week which we didn't take advantage of but thought was a nice touch.

After staying at the Hyatt in Toronto and sleeping on beds that were perhaps made by the gods themselves, I was a little disappointed by the bed comfort. The matresses were pretty hard and just rather uncomfortable. The pillows in both rooms we stayed in were a little of the flat side. If you're sleeping two to a bed and you're not a couple, make sure you ask for rooms that have queens or kings. We didn't realise they would just be doubles in our rooms and they were far too small.

Apart from the small beds and the flat pillows, the rooms are really nice and fairly spacious - more than enough room to chill out and relax. Very clean and modern. Not quite a home away from home but much larger than the avergae hotel room. The bathrooms are really nice and I liked the fact that the sink and vanity were seperate from the shower and toilet. Handy when you're sharing with all girls!

The only real downside of this place is the location. It's quite far from town so you definitely need a car or you'll be blowing your budget on taxis. Oh and the elevators are super slow but there are only 5 floors so no big deal really.

If I'm ever in Guelph again (which isn't likely but hey...) I'll definitely stay here. If you can get a deal on hotwire, it's a real steal.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank soulbel
bennidevasia, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Guelph, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2010

Thanks you very much for your candid review.It is reviews like these which help us to evolve our services to the next level.We assure you of taking the right corrective measures for all your observations.

Thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Guelph

Reviewed August 19, 2010

August 13 to 14
This was our second stay at this hotel. It is well kept inside and out, staff are all very friendly and helpful. They go out of their way to say hello or good morning. The room was a small suite, with a kitchenette, coffee maker, sitting area with a couch and large LCD TV. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was well equipped. The tub was a large size, the sink is outside the bathroom allowing which is convenient for two people. There was an electric iron and an ironing board.
Breakfast is great. There is a vast choice of cereals, muffins, fruit, yogurt, Belgian waffles that you cook yourself, eggs and peamealed bacon. The staff are very pleasant and helpful.
The wireless Internet was easy to use and had a strong signal.
The Globe and Mail newspaper at the door in the morning was a nice touch. The bill appeared under the door in the morning and checkout was just a matter of signing it and putting it on the desk with the keys. However I stopped to chat with the lady at the desk to tell her how much I like this place and others must agree since they are Number 1 on the Trip Avisor List.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your wonderful review.We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Guelph.

Reviewed August 2, 2010

We stayed here for the first time in July. We will be every year now. Very clean and comfortable! We were so pleased with the kitchen and what was available to use. We brought our 1 yr old son and found it was a lot nicer to stay somewhere that was set up like an apartment. No complaints about anything!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
bennidevasia, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Guelph, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2010