“Lovley”

Norfolk Guest House
Ranked #1 of 5 Guelph B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 7, 2007

I stayed at the Norfolk guest house Feb 17 2007. I had planned a special valentines weekend away with my boyfriend with their romance package. The house itself was absolutly beautiful. I had Booked back in September and kept in contact with Janet just to make sure everything was still in order. When we arrived I had the Queen suite I had my heart set on. Our friends recenty engaged came with us and were in the Turkish suite. They also were happy with their accomadations. Janet was even helpful talking to my boyfriend on the phone when he got lost on his way to the liquor store! We had vouchers to the Othe Brother restaurant for dinner (part of or package) I have never eaten better food in my life! And the owner overheard that my boyfriend had proposed just before dinner, made sure we got a glass of chamainge to celebrate! In the morning Janet was anything but stand offish with us and had a lovely conversation with us. The four of us are 20 somethings.. some with tatoos and peircings and not once did Janet or anyone else in the house make us feel unwelcome, including Weiner the cat :) They helped make a special moment memorable. I am thinking about staying there for my honeymoon next summer.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank KDB1982
There are newer reviews for Norfolk Guest House

Reviewed February 20, 2007

Alright, I should have written this review a little earlier but now that I've read other similar reviews regarding Janet's aloof and unwelcoming disposition, I've got to agree with that one. I, like the other disatisfied guests am young, in my early twenties, but like the other reviews I too was obviously there NOT to party and I just wanted to have a nice Birthday weekend with my boyfriend. I understand that her usual clientele is probably older yadda yadda yadda, but I have never felt so unwelcome in a place I was paying over 100 dollars cash just to stay in. The house is truly gorgeous and she has done a lovely job decorating it. I think for the price, you get what you pay for, but where the hell does she get off being so unwelcoming? I have always been tempted to go back for the nice ambiance, but I wont go back until I know they've changed owners. I even left my room emmaculate for her because I wanted to prove that young guests can be classy and responsible, but honestly, I think the host needs to be a little more welcome to the general cross-section of guests that a bloody bed and breakfast receives. C'mon girl, let's get it together here.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Kristyn23
Janetperry, owner at Norfolk Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2007

We take the comments from our guests very seriously and we try to take the good with the bad in the best possible light. We encourage feedback directly so we can try to come to an understanding that suites all parties. Using fowl language and putting down ones character is not a healthy form of conflict resolution. We have made many changes in our 17 years from helpful constructive criticism and the positive feed back from our guests.
We serve over two thousand guests each year with an extremely high success rate of satisfaction.
There was a comment made about “young people” not being welcome. Last year we created a special package designed directly to the student population in Guelph and other area universities. We encourage people of all ages to come. We know that the person who would consider a boutique style accommodation would be respectable by nature regardless of age. We only have a few rules here, no smoking , keep the level of noise to a reasonable level for the appropriate time and general courtesy for fellow guest and respect private property. Simple basic common sense rules that any accommodation property would expect. This is why people choose smaller establishments.

We have grown in size in the last few years and have added more amenities such as Jacuzzis based on comments made by our customers; we also added more staff to serve you better. There are more changes to come. We listen because …We care!

Reviewed February 3, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at Norfolk to celebrate our anniversary. We travel quite a bit, and this was the coziest , most romanitc place we have been. When we arrived, we were able to choose between the Turkish and Queen room. Both were unique and gorgeous, with private jacuzzies, but we went for the Queen room. Believe me, the pictures on the internet do not do this place justice. We were comfortable and treated so warmly. Even when we slept in past breakfast, they made omlettes for us. It was SO much better than a hotel! We will definately be return visitors! I recommend it for a quite romantic get a way with your loved one .... perfect for anniversaries and valentines!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tr46
Reviewed January 30, 2007

My financee and I first stayed at Norfolk during our second year of university. Though we have travelled around North America, for our anniversary weekend we always come back to Norfolk for our anniversary weekend and other other excuse we can come up with.

We have stayed in the Turkish Room and the Queen Suite - both are a win - win situation. Expansive jucuzzi tubs, romantic ambiance par excellance with old worldly charm. Beautiful woodwork, molding and impeccably clean.

The pictures on the Norfolk webiste are exactly what you can expect, actually they don't completely capture the elegance and beauty of this place.

The duvets and linens are exquisite and you'll never forget the wonderful breakfasts that Janet prepares.

I have even sent my parents to Norfolk as a present for their 30th wedding anniversay and they still talk about their stay.

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank camusrebel
Reviewed January 28, 2007

Visit: November 27th to Dec. 1, 2006
Wow, what a comfortable and elegant place to stay. The room was a delight, comfortable bed, inviting decor. Janet was warm and friendly making you feel "at home". The breakfasts were amazing. I haven't stayed in a bed and breakfast for many years so this was a wonderful experience and I would return to the Norfolk Guest House again. The location is also well situated to get around in Guelph and it is close enough to walk downtown if you wish. This was an exceptional experience.

Stayed: November 2006
1  Thank Aljamestown
Reviewed January 23, 2007

I stayed at the B&B for a week while taking a course at Guelph, and I will definitely be back next time I’m in town. I stayed in the Turkish room, which I absolutely loved. It was cozy and warm (a gigantic bonus on a freezing day) and there was ample storage space (both in the room and in the bathroom). The architecture and decoration of the house are truly beautiful and you can see the amount of time and love that went into each and every area of the house. The service was above and beyond what I would have expected. There was a wide variety of breakfast options to choose from, tea and coffee available all through the day. Janet was extremely helpful and assisted me in any way possible, from calling a taxi to giving driving directions to every decent coffee place in a 10 mile radius :) or helping pick out my wardrobe for the next day. It felt more like staying at a friend’s house than in a “hotel”. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Ula-7
Reviewed January 15, 2007

My girlfriend and I enjoy coming to GUELPH. We have been doing so regularly for just over two years now and have always enjoyed ourselves. We especially enjoy the fare at Diana Downtown. We have always found Nuru and his wife most helpful and kind when we are in Guelph. In November we asked Nuru if he would be kind enough to suggest a Bed and Breakfast to us for New Years Eve - this would be the first time we'd stay overnight in Guelph. He suggested in very good faith the Norfolk Guesthouse as it was close to his restaurant and he believed it to be a nice place. We went straight to the Bed & Breakfast that same day and viewed all the rooms. We chose one particular room and we made it very clear to her that it was the only room we really wanted and liked. I gave her my credit card information and she told us that if we were going to cancel we were to do so two weeks prior to New Years Eve otherwise the money would come off my credit card automatically. We tried to contact her a week before our check in day to confirm our reservation and our check in time (she does not have a 1-800 #). We called her long distance and left 4 messages on her voice mail. She never returned our calls. When we finally reached her she quipped, "What can I do for you?" Then, I asked her if she had received any of our voicemails and she curtly said "Yes but it's a busy time of the year." Quite honestly, at that point, I felt like canceling but was concerned my credit card might be charged nyway. She told us that our check in time would be between 3 and 4 pm on December 31. So we left it at that. My girlfriend called her right back and left a message on her voice mail because there was a question she forgot to ask her regarding diet and breakfast. This is where she told us that if my girlfriend wanted any special bread to "bring it yourself." Then she said that breakfast would be at 10 am on January 1st.
We arrived in Guelph at 12:15 on December 31st went for lunch at Diana Downtown and then proceeded to William's Coffee Pub (recommended by Nuru) because we had 3 hours to kill before check in time. We arrived at the Bed and Breakfast at proximately 3:15 only to be greeted (if you could call it that) by Janet who informed us that she had given our room to someone else who had come in that morning at 6 am! She informed us that we were to have a room right across the hall and it would be the same price the very room we initially refused. She attempted to make us feel guilty by saying that the woman she gave our room to was very tired and our room was the only room available at that time. She, in a nutshell, was attempting to make THIS problem OUR problem. She should not have given the room away at all, however, we would certainly understand if she had given our room to her and ask her to move to another room around 2 pm or so and we would never have even known nor would we have minded if we did. Then she said, "Well I could have her moved if you really wanted her to." We replied, "YES" and she said, " That will be about 20 minutes for me to make up the room for you ". When we finally started going upstairs with our luggage, she suddenly called out, "What time are you guys going out?" We didn't know what to say at this point.
We went to our party at Diana Downtown on New Years Eve and had a great time as always. We told Nuru what was going on and he was very shocked. He suggested we speak to her at check out time before leaving and that perhaps she may even compensate us in some form.
The next morning we were tired just like everybody is on New Years Day,we would have loved to sleep in a little later but we got up at 10 am, had our shower, packed our bags and got ready to head downstairs so we would be on time for breakfast like she told us - 10 am sharp ! When we got there she snapped at us "10:30 !!" A young gentleman came in and she did the same, also said to him "I told you I'm not a morning person." (We were wondering why someone who runs a Bed & Breakfast could have this mentality.) We stood there stunned and finally she said,
"You can take some of the coffee mugs below and go out for a walk, breakfast won't be ready for a while." We stood there. Still stunned. Finally she said, "You can sit down if you want to." It seemed to us as if everything was being suited to her convenience .Her attitude to us seemed to lean more to that of an authority figure than that of a hospitality hostess.
After breakfast came the REAL ICING ON THE CAKE. At check out time we told her very calmly and politely that we were very disappointed for several reasons.
We approached her and asked her why she didn't call us back she turned her back on us and quickly WALKED OUT OF THE ROOM WITH MY CREDIT CARD and went into an office and CLOSED THE DOOR WITH IT!!!
There was a sign on the door saying "Guests Not Allowed." This is very bad business practice and naturally caused us a good deal of concern.
To pick up the conversation where it had been left off we again stated that we had to call her 4 times long distance and she never called us back. She quipped, "I called you back!" We said "Yes after 4 to 5 calls you did." We proceeded to tell her we were not happy over her giving our room away and she just shrugged and said "I would have done the same thing for you," then walked away in a huff with her nose in the air.
When we left the Norfolk Guest house we went straight to Diana Downtown and informed Nuru what events had taken place. He felt bad that he had referred us there, but we made it known to him that we didn't feel it was at all his fault. He was just trying to help us and her business in good faith and we respect this.
The day after New Year's I informed my credit card company of the roblem and asked them to be on the lookout for me. She had not posted the bill at that time. I'm not saying that she's not honest, but her smugness sadly did give me a sense of mistrust and suspicion towards her.
We love Guelph and our experiences have always been positive upon visiting. We were really looking forward to staying overnight for the very first time in Guelph. The Norfolk Guest House was a disappointing experience as it distracted from the rest of the holiday. Something negative seemed to be always happening.
We have stayed at a number of B&Bs over the years in different cities and towns and we never experienced any quite like this one.
This host is obviously in the wrong business.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
12  Thank SADDLELITE
Janetperry, owner at Norfolk Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2007

We are proud to have been in the accommodation industry for 17 years. We try to connect with all people who come through our door and do the best to provide top service. Despite our attempts to please all involved, we were not able to satisfy this customer. Our apologies, we will endeavour to learn from this experience. We do appreciate constructive critisisim and will make every attempt to improve where possible.