“If you can get into the wine and dine, you have to go” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 39 Carden Street

39 Carden Street
Ranked #11 of 382 Restaurants in Guelph
Cuisines: Canadian, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: 39 Carden Street is a bistro in the heart of Downtown Guelph. Our menu features an inspired cuisine, with a modern twist, prepared fresh daily using the finest local ingredients. We showcase snack, weekend brunch, lunch and dinner items on our unique menu. 39 Carden Street is the perfect venue for any occasion.
“If you can get into the wine and dine, you have to go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

I love the food here in general, and the service has always been great. Being able to make my own tasting menu because of all the small plate choices is a huge hit. They have a wine and dine every month, and this is where the kitchen gets to do whatever they want, and their passion shows. I'm fortunate enough that I have eaten at many of the top restaurants in the world, belong to pretentious underground supper clubs and know food. The wine and dine was on the same level as anything i've ever eaten but at half the price of what I'd have paid in a known food city(or.less).

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

“Food and service excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

This is the 2nd time I have visited Carden Street Cafe and this time I had a roast chicken dinner and my partner had the seafood pasta. Both were excellent. The only thing was we were really cold. The heating in the restaurant wasn't adequate and although we were beside a space heater we did not feel it. Food was good but we ate with our coats on.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Carden S, General Manager at 39 Carden Street, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Hey there Greentearocks,

Thanks for your review. We wanted to apologize for it being cold in the restaurant. We're well aware of the issue and we're working on making it warmer as best we can. With it being our first winter in this space, we're continually learning the issues that go along with it. We're happy that aside from being cold you were happy with your food though. Please let our serving staff know if you have issues again and we'll be sure to sort you out.
Guelph
“Good things come in small packages”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

A pretty little place. First visit to 39 Carden for lunch. They have a brunch menu. Server suggested eggs benedict. It was delicious. Great hollandaise. Good coffee. But the best thing was the Earl Grey Creme Brulee. My friend and I try creme brulee everywhere we go. This was one of the very best. The decor is nice. Alittle pricey.

Guelph
“Sub par food - terrible prices!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

My (now) fiance and I have been going to Carden Street Cafe forever...since we were in high school in fact. I don't know what the story is here but back then, they had fantastic meals...a lamb rotti to die for, and the prices were amazing.

We were needless to say, very excited to check this place out since it has just recently under gone a major renovation. It looked beautiful inside and so we were very anxious to get our grub on. I think this is where everything started to fall apart.

While the atmosphere is far more upscale than it was previously, it still feels like a made over cafe..but maybe this is the look they were going for. My question is then, why does this place have KEG pricing with McDonald's style chairs?! The cafe chairs were uncomfortable and it didn't put me in the greatest mood for the food but we were still keen to give this one a fair shot!

A starter of fresh baked bread was served and while it was okay, it didn't taste like anything special. Almost a grocery store brand that wasn't even heated when served.

I ordered "Pig" Mac n Cheese and she ordered a see food carbonara. Both about 5-7 dollars well over priced for what we received. My dish was literally a lunch size portion. Measuring at a whopping 4.5" diameter by 1" deep, this tiny little plate of Mac and Cheese was anything but delicious. Usually, with pricing being so high and portion size being so small, one would expect the quality to be excellent. Unfortunately this was not the case. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely edible, but not $17.00 edible. I have had larger portion mac and cheeses of far better quality from pubs - not lying!

Her Carbonara was unfortunately not edible. We didn't complain because truth be told we didn't know for sure if the sauce was supposed to be as salty as it was. The more you ate it, the more you realized however that something was not right here. Thankfully, the mussels did not absorb any of this over salted mess of pasta and were well cooked. I wouldn't recommend this dish to anyone with serious heart problems!

The waitress was pleasant as was the atmosphere but Carden Street Cafe...I think our love affair with you has ended. I don't often write reviews but after our meal which totaled 45.00 for what should have fairly costed us 25.00 (taxes in), I genuinely feel that I have just had my pockets picked!

If you want to survive with that beautiful decor you have so lovingly put into the Carden Street Cafe, I would consider putting as much effort into your food and lowering your prices....especially when Atmosphere is just a couple of doors down and twice the value!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Guelph, Canada
“Tasty Brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

First visit for me, second for my companion - she had recommended and she was right. The server(whose name I did not get and should have) went above and beyond by letting me taste an unoaked Chardonnay to see if I liked it. I still didn`t and went for the Reisling to accompany very tasty Eggs Benedict. My companion ordered Quiche and salad, which she enjoyed. The space was bright and cheerful, and the portions just right for brunch. Will certainly be back to work my way through the rest of the menu.