“Great healthy take-out even the kids love”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Portuguese Mario's Grill House & Catering
Cuisines: Portuguese
Description: Very small. Looks like a house. Very good. Deserves a listing and great reviews!
Guelph, Canada
“Great healthy take-out even the kids love”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I don't know how I missed this place for so many years living in Guelph. I only found out about it when my parents picked up from there for dinner one weekend, and were raving about it. Thankfully, two of my kid's extracurriculars take me very close to Marios at least once a week, so we have become regulars. Love the large beet salad, shredded with balsamic vinaigrette, and lots of piri-piri sauce for the delicious chicken. As the kids love the chicken too we will often order one and a half, as one chicken doesn't quite do. Custard tarts are awesome too. My only complaint would be the backlog of parked cars at the end of the drive can make it a challenge, if arriving at peak time in the evening.

• Visited February 2014

“Meh for takeout”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Being from a Portuguese family and having eaten at a lot of Portuguese chicken restaurants in Toronto, I would say this place is average, if sub-par. We ordered a family meal (whole chicken, two sides & salad) to go. The chicken was tasty enough, while a bit small. The portion sizes of the sides are very small for the price. Most Toronto restaurants offer double the amount of sides. The parisienne potatoes were good (not AMAZING, but good). The roasted vegetables were a disappointment. We knew they were cold (this was clearly explained on the phone) but didn't really have much flavour to them. The garden salad was delicious.

Not the value I would have expected.

• Visited January 2014
“Good Food”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Although the restaurant mainly caters to takeouts, the food, esp. the chicken, is excellent. We also enjoy the potatoes and veggies.
One problem is the small parking area at the rear and one often has difficulties getting out.

Visited December 2013
Guelph
“The Best Chicken in Guelph!”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

When I want to enjoy some great take-out chicken I call up my local Portuguese Mario's Grill House. Their chicken has been marinated in piri-piri sauce and cooked on a barbecue grill and is so juicy and delicious. There is a good choice of sides: small, roast potatoes, pasta salads, couscous, beet salad, for example, but my favourite is always their fresh Mediterranean Salad with crispy vegetables and fresh tomatoes. The food is astounding, the prices are reasonable, the staff are friendly and welcoming and the setting is bright and cheerful. You would tend to miss it as it is in a little house (driveway to the left, parking in back) close to the York/Victoria intersection. I always look for the Portuguese flag outside the front door.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank BarbHeagy
Toronto, Canada
“Thank You Mario!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

There is not much signage outside, and it looks like a little house, so you might drive by, but that would be a mistake. As soon as you walk in the gal behind the counter greeted me as she was serving the couple ahead of me. I was acknowledged and made to feel welcome, the ordering area was very clean, and the prices on the menu boards were very reasonable. I went with the half chicken and two sides, with a bottle of water it came to 13.50. The chcken was very tasty, and juicy, not dry, my sides were roasted potatos, done just right, the little round ones, and salad which was comprised of very fresh lettuce, cucumbers , onion and tomatos. The vegetables were fresh and crisp, the hot sauce for the chicken was great although i think they should give you a bigger amount for a half chicken. The area where the food was behind the counter was spotless, it was 5pm and it looked like they just opened, if you live in Guelph eating here is a no-brainer if you are visiting Guelph, hungry and looking for a meal that offers great taste, value, and is a pretty healthy option try this place. I will be returning to Guelph in April and would definitley go back, and recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited March 2013