“Nice rooms, very clean, great value!”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Guelph
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Guelph
ontario
“Nice rooms, very clean, great value!”
Reviewed November 10, 2009

I'll keep this short and sweet. We were greeted by a friendly face, I believe her name was Sarah. She smiled and made small conversation, and asked what brought us to guelph. It was a small birthday get together with my friends and we were going to the Ranch (bar across the street) and she wished me a happy birthday which was nice. The layout of the hotel is easy to navigate, the pool looked clean though we did not go in it. The room was beautiful, nice comfortable beds with lots of pillows and a comfy douvet. Complimentary soap, shampoo, coffee, tea, internet, etc were a nice gesture. The temperature in the room was either too cold or too hot, but it might have been just me as my sister and my friend did not complain. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was your standard continental with warm eggs and sausage. We were not fond of either, but the cereal, breads, juices, and muffins were very good. overall this was a nice stay, and i would definitely return! Great value for what we needed.

FYI: this is not the best location for downtown, but it is about 10 minute drive to the University, there is a bowling place, mcdonalds, and The Ranch which serves food and turns into a country bar at night within walking distance

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Sean M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Guelph, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am truly glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to serving you in the future. If you ever have any questions please feel free to contact the hotel anytime.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Whitby
Reviewed May 8, 2009

My husband and I decided to spend our anniversary in Guelph this year and came across the Holiday Inn Express. We had some friends stay here in the past who were very impressed with the service and amenities that the hotel offered. We booked one of the special whirlpool suites for the night and it was fantastic! The room is spacious and the fireplace was a nice touch. The staff was always ready to help, they recommended a nice restaurant in the area which was delicious. Overall I would definitely come back the next chance we get to get away from the kids!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Sean M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Guelph, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to serving you again in the near future. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us anytime.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2008

I stayed at this hotel on business for three nights in May 2008. The hotel was very clean, and comfortable for a longer stay. We had three rooms booked and all of the rooms were new looking and exceptionally clean.

The best part of the hotel was the staff who were very welcoming from check in to check out. The staff really go above and beyond from simple things like memorizing your name to simply engaging you in conversations. The breakfast attendant actually made fresh food for us when we came down at the end of the breakfast hours, and brought the food to our table. Normally, if I come down late at a hotel they are taking the food away and shooting you dirty looks for being there. I gave her a nice tip - and she was so very grateful.

I never used the pool or hot tub but they did look nice.

I will be staying here again next Spring.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank SB270

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2007

Just had an excellent stay at this hotel. Front desk personnel went out of their way to accomodate our family, helped us with a last minute special room request. Quality of rooms are right up there with the best of Holiday Inn Express properties, modern, clean, new beds, free internet, excellent hot breakfast. Ignore the old comments below, this hotel is as good as any other Holiday Inn Express in North America.

• Liked — location, high quality rooms, internet and cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Tinker56

Syracuse, NY
Reviewed January 27, 2007

My wife and I have stayed at the H.I. Express on 2 separate weekends in the last year and we greatly enjoyed our stay. We had a wedding to attend in Milton, followed with the reception in Kitchener, and we found the hotel perfectly centrally located in the area.

Up until recently this area seemed very under-serviced with hotels, and the H.I. Express really jumped out as the cream of the crop. The staff always seemed to be extremely polite and driven to please, When I mentioned I had no idea of any things to do in the area, the assistant manager on the night shift gave me some very informative tips on area attractions. I made use of the business center to print out directions to the wedding and reception, extremely convenient.

We made good use of the suite, entertaining some other family members during the wait between wedding and reception, and we found the room to be clean and extremely comfortable.

The breakfast was above average compared to the standard continental offered by competing chains.

I have nothing bad to say about the place, other than I would gladly have paid a bit less during a busy long weekend. Oh well...

• Liked — The room, the staff, the location
  • Disliked — Price (wasn't obscene but wasn't cheap either)
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank zeczeczec

Ontario Canada
Reviewed August 17, 2006

I cannot believe this is the same hotel I have read about on here! It was the weekend of the Fergus Highland Games and all hotels were booked, and after reading the reviews here I was leary but we needed a room because my daughter was dancing at the games.

We arrived on Friday night and there was only one other person in front of us at check -in. The person on duty made a point to acknowledge me and tell me he would be right with me. He was very polite and friendly, even asking what brought us to the area etc.

Our room was spotless, I believe this hotel has undergone some renovations. The beds were comfortable ( how many times can you say that about a hotel!) they gave us 4 pillows on each bed and a soft blanket on top of the bed spread. the bathroom had the new rainfall shower head and had great pressure.

Everytime we went by a staff member they all smiled and spoke to us... the front desk staff was super friendly and asked us every time they saw us if every thing was ok and how was the room. You get a free bag of poprcorn for the microwave, a granola bar and a handful of candies in the room also, great for the kids! the breakfast was great both mornings with not only the awesome cinnamon buns but also fresh fruit, yogourt, cheese omelets , bacon 4 different types of bread for toasting, bagels , muffins, danishes ... coffee, teas, juices, milk , cereal.. really what more could you ask for in a free breakfast!! the girl who was taking care of the breakfast was friendly and made a point to come over to the table to speak to us about my daughter dancing etc.

The pool was clean as were all public areas of the hotel. We are planning on staying here whenever we are in the area for a dance competition again, we stay at a LOT of hotels in a year and I have to say that this is the best hotel we have stayed in for quite sometime.
Not sure what the other reviewers dealt with but we had a clean room, great breakfast for free, and impeccable service!

• Liked — Great staff and impeccable service!
  • Disliked — view from room
  • Tips/Secrets — Definitely stay here if you are in the area... restaurants are a 5 minute drive away. East Side Marios is cheap and close.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank Suzanne-Ontario

Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed February 7, 2006

I stayed here in January 2005 for a few nights on business. I did have an issue with the hotel room when I got there. I booked, and had confirmed, a non-smoking room. When I arrived I was told there were no more, but they upgraded me to a non-smoking suite instead for the duration. I was obviously satisfied with the remedy. Other than that I don't recall there being any other problems. The room was clean, and there was no noise. The hotel itself seemed fairly well taken care of. Well lit and clean in all the areas I was in. I do specifically remember the guy at the front desk, Sean, and he was very helpful. I actually left something behind in my room, and they found it for me. Called me in NY, and and kept it for a week until I returned to pick it up the following week.

I guess I am surprised by the comments below, but then again, I don't spend much time in the hotel, and Sean was the only staff I dealt with.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank Fool for the Beach
, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Guelph, responded to this review, February 14, 2006
Dear Viewer,

I do appreciate the time you took out of your day to write this positive review. If you ever need any reservations for a future date please feel free to contact me through the hotel anytime. I would be more than happy to take care of you.

Sean