“This place is like JEckyl &. Hyde,”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Cornerstone

The Cornerstone
Ranked #44 of 381 Restaurants in Guelph
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Cozy little spot downtown. Veggie/vegan. Good beer. Great service. One of my favorite places.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This place is like JEckyl &. Hyde,”
Reviewed April 15, 2012 via mobile

THe quality at this restaurant is inconsistent, ranging from waiting 20 min for server to take my order and bringing me a soggy pizza with no toppings to a great brunch with good service and warm,full plate meal. The coffee is always too waterya and I always have my cup only partially filled even when getting tea. The kitchen seems to be very small and often contributes to the longer than necessary wait time to get uncomplicated and simple food options. If this wasn't the only vegan option in downtown Guelph I would have happily gone somewhere else. And avoided the meal gamble. The worst by far was the tomato soup I was given once which ended up being purried tomatoes and carotts, it was chunky, full of seeds, tasted fresh out of the can. I honestly don't think chefs cook this food.

1 Thank Tom B

Guelph, Canada
“Excellent cheap, vegetarian food downtown Guelph”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

My wife and I have been to The Cornerstone 20-30 times. It has a small pub-like atmosphere with great vegetarian food, for under $10-$15 per person. Right across from the VIA/GO Train station downtown. Our favorite is the African Bean Stew and the Corner Club sandwich (with tofu, avocado, tomato -- sounds weird but delicious). I also love their roasted garlic pizza!!! Great soy hot chocolates also and large!

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank MNRJSS
Kitchener
“Promoting community”
Reviewed February 1, 2012

The place has a home feel to it. Seems to be very popular with young people. Good food, good service. A bit dark.

1 Thank Ndoy
Ottawa, Canada
“More than good enough, but not great.”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We've visited several times, usually for Sunday brunch, and we will return, but Cornerstone doesn't have the OMG allure that it always seems to hint at but doesn't quite deliver.

The food is earnest, fresh, and carefully prepared, but it lacks the pizazz that the adventurous menu ingredients imply and seems almost one-dimensional in seasoning and taste. I know that doesn't make sense given the variety of dishes and ingredients, but that's the impression we (3-5 people, various ages from 17-60+, couple of vegetarians) have got repeatedly. We keep hoping for fresh cilantro, spicy sauteed onions, maybe a high-cholesterol sin that would be our little secret, but...it doesn't happen. Maybe next time.

Atmosphere, service, and ambiance are all laid back and friendly. Prices are right up there for what you get. Washrooms are kinda down-home. It will take a while for your food to arrive, but you can pass the time eavesdropping on conversations that don't, thank god, involve only Dancing With the Stars or "So, like, I said..and then, like, she said...". If you want a place to go after an excessive Saturday night, here it is.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Barry B
New Delhi, India
“Great Vegetartian Breakfast”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Another one of our attempts in finding a great place for breakfast. So far they have had the most creative breakfast. I had their cornmeal waffles with blueberry compote. WOW what a wonderful surprise. This place has not changed in years but still has the charm and homey feeling.

• Visited October 2011